ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Finrot: when is the right time to treat with medication

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dhaval

Default Finrot: when is the right time to treat with medication

Hi,

I recently purchased 5 discus, 2-2.5 inch about 10 days ago. one of the big ones has shown some fuzzy spot on tail from day 2 onwards. i have been doing daily 50% water changes and have temp at 85-86 F.

The fish looks healthy, eats and also dominates on others, being the biggest one.

I thought the fish would recover with daily water changes, however, the condition has not improved. Do you think I should start treatment with medication or wait another week. please let me know.

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them? possible finrot, from where the tail begins. Started when they were introduced in the tank about 10 days ago. the condition has remained the same. just not recovering with regular 50% water changes.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).

White at the beginning of tail, seems fungus.

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment. temp at 86F, 50% daily WC

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish. 29 G, 5 discus al 2.5-3 inches

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often). 50 % for last 7 days, daily.

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it? its been running for 20 days, bare bottom.

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing. water is aged for a day or less. tap water with dechlorinator.

10. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.

Real Name
    Rick

Default Re: Finrot: when is the right time to treat with medication

A picture here would help immensely. I can say off hand that your going to need a bigger tank, and there is no need to have your temp at 86. 82 degrees will work just fine.
    Ex-President-North American Discus Association-NADA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dhaval

here are some pics.. its been a month since those spots appeared on the tail. Fis are doing fine, eating well, and the stress lines disappear when I am not scaring them with a camera.

discus1.jpgdiscus2.jpg

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dhaval

correction, it has been roughly 10 days since those spot appeared.

Real Name
    Rick

That's not fin rot.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dhaval

is it something else, do I need to do something other than water changes 50% daily and temp of 84( dropping slowly to get it to 82).

Again fish is eating pretty well, swimming well and seemss normal in general.

Real Name
    Rick

Nope, it's nothing to be concerned about, it will grow out, much like a white spot on a fingernail.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]