ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Best algy eaters.

Real Name
    Jacklyn

Default Re: Best algy eaters.

Quote Originally Posted by a.person61 View Post
    I'm not home to often enough to clean all the algy every week so am kinda needing some creature to help with it.
    OP if you are not home often enough to clean algae, then are you home often enough to do the water changes that discus require?
    ~JACKLYN~

Did some research and the nerite snails will set be back about 10 to 20 bucks each. I'm not home to often enough to clean all the algy every week so am kinda needing some creature to help with it. I've managed to keep the glass and most plants clean but the gravel is getting over run
    If your gravel is getting overrun with algae, then you aren't cleaning it enough. Do you use a gravel vacuum when doing water changes? I'd be very concerned about the overall state of the cleanliness of the tank at that point. It also means that there is lots of trapped debrit in the gravel and it could be becoming anaerobic.

Len

Real Name
    Austin

Quote Originally Posted by jmf3460 View Post
    OP if you are not home often enough to clean algae, then are you home often enough to do the water changes that discus require?
    I currently don't have discus, it's a new tank and I'm waiting for the tank to have no probloms and for me to get in a water change ruiting.

Real Name
    Austin

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    If your gravel is getting overrun with algae, then you aren't cleaning it enough. Do you use a gravel vacuum when doing water changes? I'd be very concerned about the overall state of the cleanliness of the tank at that point. It also means that there is lots of trapped debrit in the gravel and it could be becoming anaerobic.
    The tank was getting a heap of light before and resulted I a algy bloom, I haven't been well enough to do a good clean for the past 3 weeks I don't see to much gunk on the ground apart froom the algy.
    could you explain what you mean by anaerobic? Thanks

Sorry for the delayed reply. It's been a bust few days. If the gravel sits undisturbed, anaerobic bacteria will begin to develop as there is no oxygen. Once that happens disturbing it can basically release poisons into the water column. You'll often notice it by the stench. Id algae is spreading that quickly on the gravel, although you may not notice it, there is gunk there almost almost guaranteed. I don't say this to be critical, but it is important that you realize it. When keeping gravel or any other substrate in the tank, you'll have to be much more diligent in cleaning the bottom of the tank or your water quality will suffer without you realizing it.

Len

Real Name
    Austin

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    Sorry for the delayed reply. It's been a bust few days. If the gravel sits undisturbed, anaerobic bacteria will begin to develop as there is no oxygen. Once that happens disturbing it can basically release poisons into the water column. You'll often notice it by the stench. Id algae is spreading that quickly on the gravel, although you may not notice it, there is gunk there almost almost guaranteed. I don't say this to be critical, but it is important that you realize it. When keeping gravel or any other substrate in the tank, you'll have to be much more diligent in cleaning the bottom of the tank or your water quality will suffer without you realizing it.
    I did a big vacuum a few days ago algy is under control any other quick question how much is to thick for a layer of gravel thanks
    you can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.

Registered Member

I love my bristle nose but he seems a bit lazy in the algae eating department. lol

I use ottos and amano shrimp

Ever since I installed my UV sterilizer, have have not had an algae issue, I highly recommend them.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Tom

I found the biggest thing to be lighting generally I see people with way to higher wattage for type of plants or on for to long, if you have yours on for more then 6 hrs a day atm turn it down, I would even turn the lights off for at least 2 days until its under control. check that the K is around 6500 no more then 8000k check what needs your plants want in regards to temp, light, co2 ect... In my experience it isn't worth keeping plants unless they are a real feature of your tank and you enjoy them juust as much as your fish as they take alot of care attention and research to grow well and create a nice layout. I personally think pressurised co2 is needed or else you are missing a critical component for growth. well thats my 2 cents :P

Registered Member

I currently don't have discus, it's a new tank and I'm waiting for the tank to have no probloms and for me to get in a water change ruiting.
    you have the above backwards. You'll need to do water changes in order for the tank to have no problems unless you have no livestock in there. Get in a routine of water changes and gravel cleaning...What is in the tank currently?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Robert Taylor

I realize this is an old post but I have a 38 Gallon tank with 4 discus (they are only about the size of a silver dollar) I had lots of algae. I but in 3 albino bristle nose plecos and they are doing a wonderful job. I also bought 3 for my 40 which has angel fish and wow great job in there too

Registered Member

You won't get the tank cycled until you get into a weekly water change schedule. Three weeks between water changes won't cut it once you actually get the tank up and running.

I did a big vacuum a few days ago algy is under control any other quick question how much is to thick for a layer of gravel thanks
    This depends on how course/fine the gravel is

Quote Originally Posted by scruffy89801 View Post
    I realize this is an old post but I have a 38 Gallon tank with 4 discus (they are only about the size of a silver dollar) I had lots of algae. I but in 3 albino bristle nose plecos and they are doing a wonderful job. I also bought 3 for my 40 which has angel fish and wow great job in there too
    I hope you realize that you're going to need a much larger tank ASAP and you'll need to start giving those plecos supplementary food (algae wafers, veggies, etc.).

Registered Member
    Real Name
    kelly Lannin

Planetcatfish.Com Is a great resource. Temp is a concern for a lot of species and you can use the database filter to isolate parameters. I have a royal pleco that is super active during the day and noms algae like a fiend. But his bio load is enormous.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123