AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dinosaur cichlid

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Sunny

Default dinosaur cichlid

Hi Everyone,

First post of the day. Newbies here in raising discus. I always had dream of raising discus in the past. But never had a chance to get it, until now. Thanks to my son who asked for fishes for his birthday. We had ended up with a 55 gallons tank. He ended up getting 5 discus at the fish store a few days ago. We also have 10 guppies in the tank.

Now, we have a situation here that my son also wants dinosaur cichlid. I know it can grow to about 18 inches long. My question is, can dinosaur cichlid and discus live together in the same tank? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Extreme Discus

Default Re: dinosaur cichlid

I've never heard of a dinosaur cichlid. Do you know what species it is?

Registered Member

Bichir's and Discus will not make good tank mates. That belongs in a tank all by itself due to size itself. It will trash the discus.

If we're talking about bichirs, those are not cichlids.

At any rate, I don't think a bichir would make a good tank mate for discus.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Sunny

@ Ryan / pitdogg2 - Thanks for the responses. Sorry for the confusion. It is dinosaur bichir. That would confirmed for me not to get it.

Real Name
    Jacklyn

your son sounds young if he is referring to them as "fishies" and "dinosaur cichlids" My advice is to buy fish that you can handle and not ones that he thinks are cool like birchirs and discus. You have too small of a tank for discus and most certainly too small of a tank for a "dinosaur fish" For your tank, I would have stuck with livebearers, tetras, maybe a trio of angel fish and some hatchet fish with a big group of invertebrates like amano shrimp or nerite snails. Discus and Birchirs do not make good fish to teach kids on IMO. Can you return the discus and trade for angel fish? They are a similar fish in personality and movement and both have a big body once grown that your son will like.
    ~JACKLYN~

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Sunny

@ jmf3460 - Thanks for your responses.

Quote Originally Posted by jmf3460 View Post
    your son sounds young if he is referring to them as "fishies" and "dinosaur cichlids"
    My son is young, he is only 9. But he definitely did not referred them as "fishies" and/or "dinosaur cichlids". (no pun intended, if I did sorry) He actually went to the Petsmart and looked through all the fishes. Originally he picked Dinosaur Bichir (I got confused and call it cichlids). Since my wife knew I love and wants discus she convinced him to get it instead.

My advice is to buy fish that you can handle and not ones that he thinks are cool like birchirs and discus.
    My son will not be handling any maintenance in any capacity. I will be the one that take care of the tank. All he is doing is enjoying seeing then and the most he will do is feed them.

You have too small of a tank for discus and most certainly too small of a tank for a "dinosaur fish" For your tank, I would have stuck with livebearers, tetras, maybe a trio of angel fish and some hatchet fish with a big group of invertebrates like amano shrimp or nerite snails. Discus and Birchirs do not make good fish to teach kids on IMO. Can you return the discus and trade for angel fish? They are a similar fish in personality and movement and both have a big body once grown that your son will like.
    So you are telling me that 55 gallons tank is too small for 5 discus? According to dicuspaul's Beginner's Guide to Getting Started with Discus. 55 gallons can take up to six or seven.

I understand the tank might be too small for the bichirs, since it will grow very big. And at this point I won't be getting the bichirs anyway.

Sorry again if I offended you.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Sunny

@ ~JACKLYN~ - Thanks for your responses.

your son sounds young if he is referring to them as "fishies" and "dinosaur cichlids"
    My son is young, he is only 9. But he definitely did not referred them as "fishies" and/or "dinosaur cichlids". (no pun intended, if I did sorry) He actually went to the Petsmart and looked through all the fishes. Originally he picked Dinosaur Bichir (I got confused and call it cichlids). Since my wife knew I love and wants discus she convinced him to get it instead.

My advice is to buy fish that you can handle and not ones that he thinks are cool like birchirs and discus.
    My son will not be handling any maintenance in any capacity. I will be the one that take care of the tank. All he is doing is enjoying seeing then and the most he will do is feed them.

You have too small of a tank for discus and most certainly too small of a tank for a "dinosaur fish" For your tank, I would have stuck with livebearers, tetras, maybe a trio of angel fish and some hatchet fish with a big group of invertebrates like amano shrimp or nerite snails. Discus and Birchirs do not make good fish to teach kids on IMO. Can you return the discus and trade for angel fish? They are a similar fish in personality and movement and both have a big body once grown that your son will like.
    So you are telling me that 55 gallons tank is too small for 5 discus? According to dicuspaul's Beginner's Guide to Getting Started with Discus. 55 gallons can take up to six or seven.

I understand the tank might be too small for the bichirs, since it will grow very big. And at this point I won't be getting the bichirs anyway.

Sorry again if I offended you.

Registered Member

your son sounds young if he is referring to them as "fishies" and "dinosaur cichlids" My advice is to buy fish that you can handle and not ones that he thinks are cool like birchirs and discus. You have too small of a tank for discus and most certainly too small of a tank for a "dinosaur fish" For your tank, I would have stuck with livebearers, tetras, maybe a trio of angel fish and some hatchet fish with a big group of invertebrates like amano shrimp or nerite snails. Discus and Birchirs do not make good fish to teach kids on IMO. Can you return the discus and trade for angel fish? They are a similar fish in personality and movement and both have a big body once grown that your son will like.
    Totally agree with everything jmf3460 said. You definitely would need a bigger tank for discus and a bichur is most definitely not a suitable tank mate, especially once it starts to get bigger. Guppies and dicus also prefer different environments, and while the guppies could probably adapt fairly easily, the discus still probably aren't the best option as introduction to the hobby. See if you can return the discus or find them a new home and stick to more beginner-friendly fish like the guppies or some other live bearers. Some hardy tetras would be another good option.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Sunny

Quote Originally Posted by D4213 View Post
    Totally agree with everything jmf3460 said. You definitely would need a bigger tank for discus and a bichur is most definitely not a suitable tank mate, especially once it starts to get bigger. Guppies and dicus also prefer different environments, and while the guppies could probably adapt fairly easily, the discus still probably aren't the best option as introduction to the hobby. See if you can return the discus or find them a new home and stick to more beginner-friendly fish like the guppies or some other live bearers. Some hardy tetras would be another good option.
    Understand you both fully. The Discus will stay and not going anywhere. I knows the basic of taking care of them. I used to take care of them when I was working in the LFS. It had been a while. The bichir will probably NOT happens. The guppy in the long run will be coming out of the 55 gallons. The 5 discus will be by themselves. And I thought that 55 gallons was the minimum that you can have. Why are you telling me that it is too small? Just wondering...

Quote Originally Posted by ExtremeDiscus View Post
    Understand you both fully. The Discus will stay and not going anywhere. I knows the basic of taking care of them. I used to take care of them when I was working in the LFS. It had been a while. The bichir will probably NOT happens. The guppy in the long run will be coming out of the 55 gallons. The 5 discus will be by themselves. And I thought that 55 gallons was the minimum that you can have. Why are you telling me that it is too small? Just wondering...
    It depends on the size of the discus. If they grow to adults the fifty five would be a bit cramped but with frequent water changes that would be the maximum amount of adult discus that that size tank could handle. Initially you stated that there would be other fish in the fifty five along with the discus. That would be difficult for the discus to reach their maximum potential but all in all if the guppies are moved and the tank is bare you should be able to keep five discus, at least for now if they are small, adequately. Good luck. Rufus

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Sunny

Quote Originally Posted by Rudustin View Post
    It depends on the size of the discus. If they grow to adults the fifty five would be a bit cramped but with frequent water changes that would be the maximum amount of adult discus that that size tank could handle. Initially you stated that there would be other fish in the fifty five along with the discus. That would be difficult for the discus to reach their maximum potential but all in all if the guppies are moved and the tank is bare you should be able to keep five discus, at least for now if they are small, adequately. Good luck. Rufus
    Thanks Rudustin. The tank is planted unfortunately. We had that setup prior to getting the discus. Since 5 discus will be the maximum, then I would makes sure that we do not get anymore. Currently I have been doing WC every two to three days. 30% WC. I will remove the guppies from the tank as soon as I can to accommodates the discus. So they can grow to the fullest. They have been eating well, more than 5 times today already. Temp is currently at 86 - 88. They are so active and love to explores....

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by Rudustin View Post
    Good sound advice

Thanks Rudustin. The tank is planted unfortunately. We had that setup prior to getting the discus. Since 5 discus will be the maximum, then I would makes sure that we do not get anymore. Currently I have been doing WC every two to three days. 30% WC. I will remove the guppies from the tank as soon as I can to accommodates the discus. So they can grow to the fullest. They have been eating well, more than 5 times today already. Temp is currently at 86 - 88. They are so active and love to explores....
    Here's the underlying issue. While a 55g is a good size for 5 discus only as Rudustin points out, the fact that you have a planted tank complicates matters quite a bit. In all honesty, I would find it difficult to grow out some nice healthy discus in a planted tank, and I know planted tanks, and I know how to raise discus well. With that being said, chances are that these discus will not make it to their full potential. Is that a horrible thing? Not really. Many here enjoy the look of a fully planted tank over getting maximum growth on discus. To each his own. My approach has always been fully planted tank, raise discus in a different tank (bb) and transfer them over when they are adults.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Sunny

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    Good sound advice

Here's the underlying issue. While a 55g is a good size for 5 discus only as Rudustin points out, the fact that you have a planted tank complicates matters quite a bit. In all honesty, I would find it difficult to grow out some nice healthy discus in a planted tank, and I know planted tanks, and I know how to raise discus well. With that being said, chances are that these discus will not make it to their full potential. Is that a horrible thing? Not really. Many here enjoy the look of a fully planted tank over getting maximum growth on discus. To each his own. My approach has always been fully planted tank, raise discus in a different tank (bb) and transfer them over when they are adults.
    Ric, thanks for your sound advice. I know that it is the underlying issue. Getting another big tank probably would not be a good option for me at this point. (no room to put it other than outside the house) What size should the bb tank be?

Real Name
    Ricardo

Ric, thanks for your sound advice. I know that it is the underlying issue. Getting another big tank probably would not be a good option for me at this point. (no room to put it other than outside the house) What size should the bb tank be?
    it can simply be another 55g tank with nothng but a sponge filter (or two) in it. You can put it on cinder blocks and spend less than $100 on the whole setup until they get to a good adult size. You would be aiming for anywhere from 5-6.5", then transfer over to the planted tank. Again, this is only how I would do it. Everyone else marches to the beat of a different drum.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast