ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: seachem flousih excel

Default seachem flousih excel

I just recieved some seachem flourish excel, is this safe to use in my discus tank, i am trying to get the plants growing better, as they are starting to look a bit raggy with algea growing on the leaves, I have cut down on time the lights are on also.
    IMG_2964.jpg

Real Name
    Austin

Default Re: seachem flousih excel

If you have probloms with algy on your plants the best thing to do is gently wipe it with some paper towel, works for me. As fare as will the flousih hurt your discus, at the end of the day it's another chemical. But they wouldnt sell it if it hurt fish. If I was you sence discus are rather sensitive I would try and stay away from adding any chemicals to the water but if you must I would put less then what you need and keep a very close eye on the fish
    you can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.

Quote Originally Posted by a.person61 View Post
    If you have probloms with algy on your plants the best thing to do is gently wipe it with some paper towel, works for me. As fare as will the flousih hurt your discus, at the end of the day it's another chemical. But they wouldnt sell it if it hurt fish. If I was you sence discus are rather sensitive I would try and stay away from adding any chemicals to the water but if you must I would put less then what you need and keep a very close eye on the fish
    I hear what your saying regarding wiping off the algae, I have already cut down on the amount of time the main lights are on, I might try the flourish in my comunity tank first, to see first if the fish are ok, and second see if there is improvements in the plants.

Real Name
    Austin

Quote Originally Posted by Blademan View Post
    I hear what your saying regarding wiping off the algae, I have already cut down on the amount of time the main lights are on, I might try the flourish in my comunity tank first, to see first if the fish are ok, and second see if there is improvements in the plants.
    Check how much your feeding them if turning off the light don't work, as well consider getting a UV filter they basicly kill the algy before it grows. Have you tried root tabs?
    you can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.

Registered Member

Excel will not hurt them at the dose required. I use it with my Discus only difference is my plants are in clay pots with fluorite on a bare bottom tank.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Justin

Used it in the past with no negative effect at full dosage. I believe you will be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by manbearpig View Post
    Used it in the past with no negative effect at full dosage. I believe you will be fine.
    Thanks I will give it a go

Real Name
    Jacklyn

also metricide is an alternative for excel and is half the price at half the dosage so half the amount will last you twice as long. its a cleaning supply. weird I know
    ~JACKLYN~

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Chris Boblitz

I am using one capful every 2-3 days in my heavily planted 70G. I am also running a 24W Green Killing Machine UV sterilizer. I had planned on only using the sterilizer occasionally, but I think I may run it 12hr/day.

Quote Originally Posted by pancakeswim View Post
    I am using one capful every 2-3 days in my heavily planted 70G. I am also running a 24W Green Killing Machine UV sterilizer. I had planned on only using the sterilizer occasionally, but I think I may run it 12hr/day.
    how long have you been using the flourish and have you noticed a differance in your plants

Registered Member
    Real Name
    harry g

I use flourish twice a week in a150 heavily planted tank for years with good results. My swords do way better with plant tabs every 3 months also. The discus do not seem to mind. Also i add a little iron once a week

Real Name
    Tyrone

Hi All,
    I have a question in regards to using Osmocoat as a fertilizer for planted tanks with discus. I currently use excel every two days or so, and Flourish Comprehensive Supplement for the Planted Aquarium once every one or two weeks, but I've done some reading on other sites that calm Osmocoate provides better nutrition and is less expensive than plant tabs in the long run. I would like to know if anyone on SD has any experience with this product, and can provide some pros and cons for using osmocoat. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
    Gill

Real Name
    Jacklyn

I use Osmocote + tabs in all my planted tanks. Its the best of the best when it comes to plants of all types. and it is perfectly safe for your discus and any other fish of that type. I use them in the little pill caplets and I put them down under the roots of my plants once a month or so. swords, crypts and other root based plants really really appreciate these.
    ~JACKLYN~

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by jmf3460 View Post
    I use Osmocote + tabs in all my planted tanks. Its the best of the best when it comes to plants of all types. and it is perfectly safe for your discus and any other fish of that type. I use them in the little pill caplets and I put them down under the roots of my plants once a month or so. swords, crypts and other root based plants really really appreciate these.
    This is really good to know thanks man!!

Real Name
    Ricardo

You've been receiving a lot of solutions, but in reality what you need to do is address the main problem. Why are you getting algae? In well balanced planted tanks, algae typically isn't a huge a problem. What is your photo period? Are you dry dosing? Root tabs? injected co2?

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast