AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Computer monitors discussion...what do you view your pictures on?

Default Computer monitors discussion...what do you view your pictures on?

The gear you use to capture your images is of course important, but if the file just sits on your camera's SD card its pretty much wasted. The point of photography is to capture a moment and be able to view it latter. In film days that would mean printing a picture, these days it means viewing it on a monitor more often than not.

All monitors are not the same.Some monitors are better for viewing and editting images than others...these can be pretty pricey. I consider myself a hobby photographer and with a growing family my budget is very tight. A few years ago I bought my first IPS monitor in the $350-400 range.Its by ASUS and meets my need...Its a Asus ProArt wide color gamet 1920x1200 monitor with HD 1080i/p and hdmi connectivity.I did a lot of research and it gave the best bang for my limited funds. That was a few years ago and the way technology works theres probably better now.
    I thought we could open a discussion on monitors here...What kind of monitor and what size are you using? What are you currently considering as an upgrade? What monitor have you loved and hated? This would be a good place to ask monitor related questions as well.

I personally really like my Asus proart monitor...and recommend it to someone looking for a reasonably priced upgrade from your stock computer LCD panel if you want better control over your images...theres better, but if you are on a shoe string budget probably not many. It meets my needs right now.

Al
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 03-09-2015 at 07:50 AM.
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Default Re: Computer monitors discussion...what do you view your pictures on?

Here are some reviews on various monitors...
    http://www.digitalcameraworld.com/20...photo-editing/

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2455858,00.asp

http://thedigitalcamera.net/best-mon...d-photography/

Theres some techical details but not much if you are new to monitor lingo.

Al
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 03-09-2015 at 07:46 AM.
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Ricardo

I also own an ASUS monitor and absolutely love it. I bought it a couple of years ago when I got my pc built and paid around $300 I believe. I bought it specifically for editing and movie viewing so refresh rates were high on my list. I have a spyder calibrator hooked up to it and it is an absolute pleasure to work with. Maybe a couple of years from now I may upgrade, but for now, that monitor is all I need. I believe it is a 28" screen.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Eric

1920x1200 BenQ here. Cheap monitor. Does the job. Have had it for about 6 years now.
    .................................................. .........................

Real Name
    Matt

Dual Samsung 2494SW 24" Widescreens for the computer. I'd love to get a larger monitor at some point to add to this setup. Need something better for photoshop so I can open the image larger and see more.
    -Matt

Real Name
    Ricardo

Sweet setup Matt!

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Matt

Thanks Ricardo, I enjoy it!

The key to any monitor is a good color calibration.
    -Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Discus-n00b View Post
    Thanks Ricardo, I enjoy it!

The key to any monitor is a good color calibration.
    Matt thats a great set up... How about some more info on why you use 2 monitors and how its set up? I used to run two towers to one monitor and toggle between them for work...one ran linux,,and the other Windows.

al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

I used a dual monitor system at work. You need a graphic accelerator for each monitor. When I use to run a linux box and PC box side by side I used a KVM switch for the mouse, keyboard and monitor. Not sure if a KVM switch is available for a dual or more monitor setup.
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

When I use to run a linux box and PC box side by side I used a KVM switch for the mouse, keyboard and monitor.
    Yep..SAME HERE.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Matt

Pat, most desktop graphics cards have at least dual outputs now or can run dual monitors at least. Laptops not always so often because theres only so much space.

I originally set this up for gaming, and I could have documents or chat programs open while in game. The system has aged with me and its used now more for photo editing, movie watching, etc. The general stuff. I like having so much desktop space to spread stuff out. I can have my forums open to watch for you troublemakers on one screen or have facebook messenger open and going on one screen while I catch up on my daily youtube videos on the other or do some photo processing.....stuff like that. Then of course the TV is to the left of that.

The setup is simple, just a dated ATI 7800 series i think? video card (Which I'd also like to upgrade at some point with the computer....need better video editing power/capabilities!!) in the computer under the desk which has 2 monitor outs. I think one is an HDMI and one is DVI, I'd have to double check though. Maybe HDMI to DVI.

My next monitor will be this, the HD LED wall we have at work.....LOL just kidding.

-Matt

I have two of those wall monitors.....
    Matt do you worry about the Salt Water tank above your system, creep/humidity?

I have a 27" iMac. I do calibrate regularly with a Color Munki.
    Stan

SIMPLY DISCUS IS AN OXYMORON

Real Name
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by SMB2 View Post
    I have two of those wall monitors.....
    Matt do you worry about the Salt Water tank above your system, creep/humidity?

I have a 27" iMac. I do calibrate regularly with a Color Munki.
    Never had a problem, doesn't usually get that far. I've had a few spots on the back of the TV but nothing bad at all. My computer was between my tank and desk though on my left side and I was like, nope this won't work in case the tank bursts or something so I flipped it to my right side. The room is already humid, heck the air is humid here no matter what but never had an issue with that.
    -Matt

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Daria

1. Dell UltraSharp U2715H LED-Lit Monitor
    2. NEC EA275UHD-BK-SV 4k UHD LCD LED-lit Monitor
    3. ViewSonic VP2770-LED SuperClear LED-Lit Professional Monitor
    4. ASUS PA248Q ProArt LED LCD Monitor
    5. HP DreamColor LP2480zx

Personally I have NEC EA275UHD-BK-SV 4k. I have been searching for a perfect 27in UHD monitor for quite a while, and I think tried almost all the models on the market (LG, Dell, BenQ, Asus, ViewSonic). This one was last one on my list, and primarily because there were not enough reviews and price was higher than competitors. But I got tired with competitors cutting the corners and dropping the ball on various issues that are important to me, so I decided to step up the price a bit to see if NEC could be any better. That was a good decision. According to a lot authority reviews, such as https://www.cnet.com/topics/monitors/best-monitors/, http://www.bestadvisor.com/best-moni...-photographers and http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/, NEC seems a really good choice for nowadays, and it's nit surprising, color support - 1.064 billion colors! 1.064 billion colors, Karl!

The quality of construction is also good. I'm happy with the ergonomics as well. I don't play video games so I can't comment on how appropriate this monitor is for that use

Registered Member

Smile Re: Computer monitors discussion...what do you view your pictures on?

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Here are some reviews on various monitors...
    http://www.digitalcameraworld.com/20...photo-editing/

https://www.toppctech.com/best-compu...ors-under-200/

http://thedigitalcamera.net/best-mon...d-photography/

Theres some techical details but not much if you are new to monitor lingo.

Al
    Thank you brewmaster15 for your reply. Would you please suggest me the best monitor under $150.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast