ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for Java Moss and other quick growing easy plants ...free or trade

Default Looking for Java Moss and other quick growing easy plants ...free or trade

Hello all you keepers with a green thumb. Now that its finally warming up ( hey it hit 50 F 2 days in a row !) I'm looking for plants for my dwarf cichlid tanks and a few other projects Does any one have any plants they can ship me.. I'll pay for the shipping and any heat pack costs if needed. I can also trade you some Freeze Dried Blackworms which I usually have in abundance instead of paying cash, which I usually have a lack of!

Pm with what you have and what you want for it.

Thanks,
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kris

Default Re: Looking for Java Moss and other quick growing easy plants ...free or trade

MIGHT be able to rip you a chunk of Java Moss from my hexagon tank and some amazon swords that I have no idea what variety they are...

Problem with my tank is that it has a ramshorn snail problem that is slowly being taken care of by assassin snails

Default Re: Looking for Java Moss and other quick growing easy plants ...free or trade

kris,
    I dont mind the snail problem...I can deal with that easily.

Thanks!

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Jacklyn

al, does this mean crypts are out?? I have a huge pot of cryptocoryne pontederiifolia id be willing to trade for some fdbw, ofcourse id take it out of the pot for shipping reasons bc its in a 4" terra cotta pot and fills the whole thing up..
    ~JACKLYN~

Crypts would be Fine Jacklyn, I have alot of luck in the past with them.

al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Jacklyn

al here are the pics of the crypt pot I have ill trade. im posting here because its easier to attach pics here than in a PM
    crypt pondert. 1.jpgcrypt pondert.2.jpgcrypt pondert.3.jpg
    ~JACKLYN~

Thank Jacklyn!
    Plants arrived today and look to have traveled well. I just potted them up...water a tad cloudy now but wil clear ina bit. Very cool surprises!

20150319_124929.jpg

Al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member Larry Grenier's Avatar

Another easy low-light plant besides Crypts, Anubias, and Java Fern is dwarf Sagittaria. http://imgarcade.com/1/dwarf-sagittaria-carpet/
    Give it high light and a fertile substrate and it goes nuts but give it low-light and inert substrate and it just grows slow but survives. Easy, cheap, and tough.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Grenier View Post
    Another easy low-light plant besides Crypts, Anubias, and Java Fern is dwarf Sagittaria. http://imgarcade.com/1/dwarf-sagittaria-carpet/
    Give it high light and a fertile substrate and it goes nuts but give it low-light and inert substrate and it just grows slow but survives. Easy, cheap, and tough.
    Thanks Larry!!

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Jacklyn

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Thank Jacklyn!
    Plants arrived today and look to have traveled well. I just potted them up...water a tad cloudy now but wil clear ina bit. Very cool surprises!
    Al
    wow you broke that crypt pondertifolia up quite a bit good deal I had no idea how much it really was. This is one of my favorite plants Al. I once thought I had pulled them all up and like 6 months later I had baby ones popping up everywhere in a tank that was virtually empty with just wetted substrate and ambient light. Under high lighting the veins are pink for their first days as a new leaf. Also the genus/species of the curly onion plant is Crinum Calamistratum, I have them everywhere now, they grow slow but beware a lot is going on under the substrate that you don't realize with these bad boys.
    ~JACKLYN~

Quote Originally Posted by jmf3460 View Post
    wow you broke that crypt pondertifolia up quite a bit good deal I had no idea how much it really was. This is one of my favorite plants Al. I once thought I had pulled them all up and like 6 months later I had baby ones popping up everywhere in a tank that was virtually empty with just wetted substrate and ambient light. Under high lighting the veins are pink for their first days as a new leaf. Also the genus/species of the curly onion plant is Crinum Calamistratum, I have them everywhere now, they grow slow but beware a lot is going on under the substrate that you don't realize with these bad boys.

I wasn't sure on that species of crypts, if it handles being broken apart so I played it cautious.. split it in half, one pot got half intact , the other, I split it apart and planted it with some growing room.

al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Jacklyn

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    I wasn't sure on that species of crypts, if it handles being broken apart so I played it cautious.. split it in half, one pot got half intact , the other, I split it apart and planted it with some growing room.

al
    from my experience with c. ponderiifolia, you cannot harm it, I literally tried to get rid of all of it in a tank, and 6 months later it was popping up everywhere in an abandoned tank. it literally went dormant for 6 months while send shoots under the substrate to every corner of a 20gallon tank and then decided all of the shoots would send up leaves at the same time. it doesn't get too tall, about what you have is as tall as it gets. I now have it in every tank that has plants.
    ~JACKLYN~

Quote Originally Posted by jmf3460 View Post
    from my experience with c. ponderiifolia, you cannot harm it, I literally tried to get rid of all of it in a tank, and 6 months later it was popping up everywhere in an abandoned tank. it literally went dormant for 6 months while send shoots under the substrate to every corner of a 20gallon tank and then decided all of the shoots would send up leaves at the same time. it doesn't get too tall, about what you have is as tall as it gets. I now have it in every tank that has plants.
    great! Thanks ...sent you out some treats for your discus today

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Quote Originally Posted by kris2341 View Post
    MIGHT be able to rip you a chunk of Java Moss from my hexagon tank and some amazon swords that I have no idea what variety they are...

Problem with my tank is that it has a ramshorn snail problem that is slowly being taken care of by assassin snails
    Kris,
    Got your too today...thanks..looks like they made it too..right now they are soaking in an anti snail bath

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kris

great! thanks for the update!

hope you enjoy watching them slowly overrun your tank!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast