ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Severum ID please

Registered Member

Default Severum ID please

Having just bought a breeding pair of severum from my LFS labelled "blue faced severum" i was trying to find a little more information about them. There is someone on this site who has lots of info so hope he can help me out.
    Pic attached shows the larger male showing an ice blue colour, normally they are both very dark blue. I've had them in my 100 uk gallon tank with a 9 inch oscar for a few days now and the male changes to this colour when the oscar nears.

Have i been sold a pair of mutts? I can't find anything on blue faced severum

Thanks in advance

Iain

severum.jpg

Real Name
    Jacklyn

Default Re: Severum ID please

Iain,
    Im sure the resident expert, Ryan, will be along shortly to tell you what that is. He is beautiful, I love the red eyes. He looks young so possibly the coloration wont fill out until he reaches adulthood.
    ~JACKLYN~

Registered Member

A few more pics to help.
    Female being chased by the Oscar
    DSC_0135.jpg

Registered Member

I've never heard of a "blue faced severum," though most of the efasciatus types and rotkeils will show blue faces when they are comfortable. This is a pretty common trait among severums.

There is a fish known in Europe as Heros sp. Blau, the blue severum, which is a primarily grey/blue color. These fish usually have a light/white iris, though, and yours are clearly yellow and red. Here are some pictures of Heros sp. Blau: http://www.augenfleckbuntbarsche.de/sp-blau.html

For now, until they color up more, I'd just say they're a variant of Heros efasciatus, the greens. There are also the turquoise severums (H. appendiculatus) which usually have an overall darker, bluer coloration, but that species was collapsed into efasciatus several years ago and they are all considered one and the same now.

I'm curious how you know they're a pair. Are you sure they've bred? The reason I ask is because I don't see facial markings on either fish in the pictures. All male severums have a striated pattern on the gills and across the bridge of the nose, but the faces on both your fish appear solid. That would indicate two females. It's possible that the markings are there and I just can't see them because of the picture quality.

Registered Member

Yeah I have been looking all day for markings on the male but can't see any either.
    I first saw them in my lfs on Sunday, went back on Monday to purchase them and the had spawned
    Larger of the 2 with the red eyes was chasing anything that came close while the smaller one stayed guard.

They are definitely a dark blue colour, will get my proper camera out later to try and get better shots.

Registered Member

Registered Member

Both fish appear to be female. It's not uncommon for female cichlids to pair off and lay eggs together.

Given that they still have an underlying teal/green color in addition to the blue, it's a pretty safe bet they're H. efasciatus. There are no markings or colors to suggest otherwise.

I had a female severum that was given to me a few years ago and she was solid grey with a maroon anal fin and dark maroon spots on her cheek. She spawned multiple times with a male green that I had, but all of their fry looked just like her. They had no markings, no striation other than a few maroon spots/lines around the mouth and cheek, and a drab grey color. I have never seen another severum like her and I have no idea what she was or why her fry looked identical to her, despite the male being a really colorful fish. These kind of remind me of her, but more blue/green than grey.

Registered Member

Thanks for all of your help Ryan
    Going to keep an eye on them for a few weeks to see how my Oscar gets along with them.

Registered Member

Super Red Severum Pair had babies few weeks ago.
    breeding pair.JPG

Super red severum baby.JPGIMG_0520.jpg

That sort of proves what if suspected about super reds...

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    That sort of proves what if suspected about super reds...
    Please explain your statement............

The fry appear to be golds, not super reds. So I don't think the super reds breed true (or maybe at all).

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    The fry appear to be golds, not super reds. So I don't think the super reds breed true (or maybe at all).
    I have been breeding Red severum for over a decade now and these are S. Red Severum babies at 3 1/2 weeks to one month old that is how they show their color, pictures does not give them justice. they start to show some red, but very light. They actually start to color up at 2.5 to 3 months and up. I will post updated pictures and you will see. My breeding pairs were imported from Taiwan. Please don't judge the book by it's cover or no facts.
    Super Red Severum at 3.5 to 4 inches showing nice red color.
    red severum.jpgred severums.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast