ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Severum ID please

Default Re: Severum ID please

It's not easy to find facts because when they appeared on the market from Asia no one would explain how they were created. Tons of hobbyists in the states have them and they either don't breed at all, or they breed but don't produce red fry. Can you shed any light on how they were created, and do they breed 100% true like electric blue rams or acaras?

Registered Member

Default Re: Severum ID please

You are right about hard to find the information about S.Red Severum. I am just bred these severum cuz I like them. From what I know the Red severum comes from Taiwan and Indonesia. Red-spot severum is a just a variant of the gold severum that has been severely line-bred for added red colour. Most Red Severum male are infertile. If you do find a fertile male the price is high. In Taiwan Mr Wan Nang, the creator of the best Super King Kong Parrot fish once told me that he did cross breed a skkp and a red severum to achieve the deep red color and how true is it? that I don't know since I did not see it with my own eyes. The Red severum that comes from Taiwan has a more deep red color than the one that come from Indo. I believe that in Indonesia they breed the red with the gold severum and when you do that it washed out the red fry because it dilute the gene pool.

It is hard to find answer to your question because most breeders in Asia will not give you the straight answer and to them that is their trade secret. Over the years I have breed different combination of severum and the result boils down to the dominance within the genes. So we can assume that the Red severum does not breed 100% true.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12