ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Things that surprised me about adult Discus

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Penny

Default Things that surprised me about adult Discus

Hi All,

Fish are doing great but several things really surprised me about adult Discus.

1) They lay a LOT of eggs.
    2) Couldn't believe how difficult it was to get them to eat the Discus flake food
    3) Everyone said I could leave them for several days without food but I was a nervous wreak. They did GREAT and started eating flakes when I returned.
    4) Removed all other fish from tank. The Discus seem calmer by themselves.
    5) I had to treat with Metro so raised the heat to 90 degrees. All aggression has stopped!! Even my bad a$$ Fuji has stopped bullying everyone. You wouldn't believe what I have threatened to do to this fish (oh-so-slowly remove scales for one) but he is actually eating along side everyone else. Simply can't believe it!!

Penny

Real Name
    Matt

Default Re: Things that surprised me about adult Discus

Congrats! Sounds like your fish are doing well! Makes me think maybe i need to raise my temp...

Not everything that's labeled "Discus Food" is something the Discus actually want to eat. Some of these things seem to be be put on the market without actually consulting the Discus! (lol).

I've never found my Discus to eat the Spectrum pellets, they just ignore them or spit them out. Even though it's supposed to be, "specially formulated" or whatever. For me it was a $20 waste of money. Meanwhile, they seem to love a generic, no-name, flake food that I purchase for $5 from a lfs. While it's not my primary food, it is something they really enjoy. Not all "Discus Food" is equal and sometimes it just takes a few food feedings for them to go for it while other times nothing will get them to go for it.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Penny

Hi Stu,

It wasn't just the flakes, I couldn't get them to eat anything but the FDBW and frozen blood worms. Tried many different foods to no avail. All my other fish love the Cobalt Brand Discus Flakes that Han's approved so wanted to get the Discus on them. Once I stopped giving in my Discus started eating the flakes like crazy and they're getting their beautiful color back.
    Last edited by pgrhodes1; 03-19-2015 at 01:02 PM.

Registered Member

if you think Discus lay a lot of eggs then do not go for Central/South American bruiser cichlids as my Red Terrors lay about 1500 give or take 100.....Now that is a cloud of fry

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Adolfo

Don't give up on the new life keep trying when you know they are hungry, and soak them in aquarium water for about 5 minutes

My Discus generally eat everything with the exception of the Spectrum brand. With new fish it may take a little while for them to adjust to new foods.

Sometimes it helps to add "dither" fish that are already eating the new foods. Discus or some other type, it doesn't really matter.

Real Name
    Jacklyn

+1 for comment above. Discus are "monkey see, monkey do" fish sometimes. If they see other fish eating it they will be like "oh, ok it must be good if they are eating it and are not dead....lets go for it, yep I like it...sweet"
    ~JACKLYN~

Real Name
    Phil

Raising temp to curb bullying? Is this a common trend? Does it really work?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Penny

To be honest, I don't really know. I did several things at once and it could be a combination of things. I removed all fish but Discus, raised the temp, changed their food, and treated with Metro. All I do know is they are like different fish. VERY calm. This is the way I thought Discus would be and I'm really enjoying it. Will keep you posted when I drop the temp back to 83.

VERY interesting. I would have assumed that raising the temp. and hence the metabolic rate would have the opposite effect. I look forward to hearing more about your experience here as time goes on.

It may be that they're just recovering from the heat/metro combination. Unfortunately it seems that healthy Discus do tend to fight, sickly Discus less so.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Penny

I actually thought the same thing about the higher temp; however, it didn't work out that way. My Discus seem to fight more when something isn't right. I can always tell if my water quality (nitrates) is even slightly off because they become little monsters. I had a LOT of aggression before I did all the changes and I think maybe they just didn't feel good (white stringy poop), nutrition was lacking, and smaller fish drove them nuts. Last Metro treatment was Sunday night so I've started lowering the temp. Will post what happens at 83.

I'm really hoping they don't go back to the way they were. My family is really enjoying the reprieve.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Penny

Okay, temp is at 85 and I've noticed some changes. They are still eating but not as much. They are starting to pair up again which is causing some aggression; however, it is not near as bad as it was. They haven't gone back to picking on my littlest one all the time. They are letting her eat and she is not hiding like before.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Denise Heric

I also purchased Spectrum pellets and wasted money. My discus will eat everything but that.

Quote Originally Posted by dmheric View Post
    I also purchased Spectrum pellets and wasted money. My discus will eat everything but that.
    Yes, but they have a very nice picture of a Discus on the package. BIG waste of money.