ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Where I'm at today

Real Name
    Geoff

Default Where I'm at today

My father keep Discus for 20 years in Milwaukee (80's and 90's) while I was a kid. I'm new to the hobby but not the fish, and I must say I've watched years worth of water changes first hand, but as most children do I paid no attention. I've only a few things to offer here, one, I've read Simplydiscus for about a year and a half, and besides discipline I've learned most about keeping discus from this site. Two I bought from Hans. Three, I've killed 5 of 14 fish and two are stunted and one is peppered. So with that said, here's a video of where I'm at today. I think I'll start threads of these grow outs from old photos. They are young, and not breeding.

Last edited by Loosir; 03-22-2015 at 10:30 PM.

Real Name
    Matt

Default Re: Where I'm at today

Those are some gorgeous fish!! Whatever you learned, it looks like it working!

Real Name
    Christopher G

Quote Originally Posted by Solid View Post
    Those are some gorgeous fish!! Whatever you learned, it looks like it working!
    +1 great job and gorgeous discus. May I ask what you feed your discus ?

Real Name
    Geoff

Thanks Blueluv,
    They have not really had a steady diet as I'm kind of a newbe. (fresh water is a constant though)
    Valentines day I made my own BH mix for the first time. Currently I give BH and one upside down cone of Al's FDBWs in the morning , when I get home they get BH at night.

Before this is a long story and I'm seriously not sure why they are still alive. I got them at 2.5" from Hans around 8/2014 and started them out with Hans' Colbalt flake using an auto feeder a few times a day. I bought raw salmon 2 weeks later but I lost 2 fish the next few days. One darted into the glass, and one jumped out (I assume he darted out) I posted my concerns and I QT'd with metro. I think the Salmon was freshwater not saltwater and the rest eventually recovered, but I think that's what stunted the Pigeon SS and the Dark Angel.
    I bought 2lbs of Hans Beef mix at the end of October 2014 and also tried feeding straight ground beef. I have feed 4 or so packs of San Francisco BH and Brine Shrimp from time to time. So to sum it up, not to consistent.

So just goes to show you that Kids can follow in their Parents fish keeping footsteps! Glad that he set you on the proper Discus keeping course!

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Ricardo

hard to tell that you didn't have a consistent feeding schedule. They look great. Yeah, you have some runts there, but almost every tank has that odd ball out, lol.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Geoff

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    hard to tell that you didn't have a consistent feeding schedule. They look great. Yeah, you have some runts there, but almost every tank has that odd ball out, lol.
    Haha, Problem with the runts is I really start rooting for those underdogs!