ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Tank just sprung a leak!

Registered Member

Default Tank just sprung a leak!

Just walked in and so my 44 gallon tank spraying water midway up from a seam. What are my options as I don't have another tank to put the fish. Can I reseal it with the water below the hole or should I try to get a matching tank. It's not a common size.

Registered Member

Default Re: Tank just sprung a leak!

I would move the fish to an emergency tank, big Rubbermaid containers work well. Then I would take the tank down and reseal it. The only other option, in my opinion, is to buy a new tank.

Real Name
    Matt

To reseal properly you would have to have it dry and let it set before refilling....unless someone else knows another way/trick. You can put the fish in a large rubbermaid or something similar for the time being until you reseal or get a new tank.
    -Matt

Registered Member

Yeah, I don't think I would trust the reseal anyway. Calling stores to see if I can find a tank

Real Name
    Matt

Are you concerned finding one the exact same because of stands/canopies? If you have local fish clubs check their boards, generally used tanks can be had for cheap.
    -Matt

Registered Member

Yeah it's a pentagon. I have built into a wall.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by Discus-n00b View Post
    To reseal properly you would have to have it dry and let it set before refilling....unless someone else knows another way/trick. You can put the fish in a large rubbermaid or something similar for the time being until you reseal or get a new tank.
    This is your best bet here. It really isn't that difficult to reseal a tank. It just requires a lot of time and patience. In order to properly reseal the tank, you have to take out everything from the tank. Let it dry a few hours, then, you have to scrape all of the inside silicone, not just the side that has the leak. Fixing just the area the leaked will cause a leak down the line. If you reseal the whole tank, it should last you quite a few years. Place the fish in a tote for a while. I know someone who has had fish in a tote for over 2 years! Do I recommend it? No, but it can be done.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Registered Member

thanks for all the replies. Was able to find the same tank and moved everybody over.