Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Computer building

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Roy

Default Re: Computer building

Quote Originally Posted by Discus-n00b View Post
    #nerdhat

Anyone into building computers? I can't say I'm mega experienced or can fully speak the lingo but I know enough to be dangerous and I've been doing it for myself for years now everytime I need a new one. Figured I'd ask because I enjoy it and I know its another niche type hobby out there. I'm not brave enough yet to dive into the whole overclocking thing and start screwing with the BIOS, usually just run stock everything but I always seem drawn to the parts that allow me to OC if I wanted to. I probably should attempt it at some point.

I don't know, been pricing out a new build recently and figured I'd ask! Tell you what though...they are as expensive as a new DSLR camera setup! Crazy. And technology is flying. Especially in my case because I'm a couple years behind now and still working on a 1080p setup. Want to move to a 1440p or 4k setup (more than likely a 1440). Especially DDR4, stuff is selling for the price of a top end Video card or processor. Wouldn't really be able to use anything off of my current computer for the rebuild save for the case, but in reality thats one of the cheapest parts to buy. Guess this is one of those things i'll be forced to sell the old, but good, parts to make up the cost of the new one.
    Hey Matt,

I've built two computers in the last 10 years. In between builds I do upgrades until the technology and equipment prices come in line with what I need. It isn't physically difficult to build a computer but attention I have to work had on the details and compatibility of components. My latest build in 2017 so it's almost time to do a new build! The best part of building my own computers is I know how to repair something if it fails or can add components I need as my requirements change.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Robert Holt

I built my latest computer early last year. I do a lot of design work and wanted something powerful enough to do CAD work, as well as electronics design. I started from a new case, and worked from there. I managed to score an NVIDIA 3090 when they first hit the market, just before they became unobtanium.

Registered Member

Didn’t build them but used to repair them for a living and I did ok money wise - not a millionaire but I was earning enough to pay the bills and have a bit left over,

Problem was when I first started business was a bit slow and so when a few people asked I repaired a few iPhones and then all of a sudden 50% of my time was spent with iPhones and back then there were a lot more fiddly and it did my nut in - plus there’s very little money in that for the amount of work but at the same time I didn’t want to be turning away work

I did do a few upgrades as well but never anything that exciting tbh!

Eventually I moved onto other things but I still do the odd repair for friends and family - this year I’ve built a new computer for one of my kids and another one for my brother in law as xmas pressies

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345