AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Computer building

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kris

Default Re: Computer building

oh, and yes, if you use an external DAC/amp, you will probably get a better experience overall than just plugging into the motherboard if the audio solution on it is terrible

and now for some shameless system advertisement, I have a mATX build that utilizes an i5 4670S, Asus gryphon Z87 board, 32GB DDR3 1200mhz, an 840 Pro 256GB SSD and the R9 290X im trying to sell... all inside a lovely Silverstone TJ-08 tower and powered by a Corsair RM850 PSU!

I can drop in the 4790k into this! LOL

Im very certain this is small enough to ship without selling my soul!

Real Name
    Matt

Well after some thought and planning I think the Monitors will be the last thing I add. My current 1080p dual setup is still very serviceable and will serve me until I can afford 2 nice 1440p (or 4k) monitors (or maybe a single ultra wide?). This is a good thing though as it gives the new ones coming out time to stabilize in price and get their kinks worked out. Plus any new stuff on the horizon. At any rate it will give me time to build the system to power the displays rather than try and cut the system and not be able to take advantage of the displays. Pricing everything out down to the case fans starts to add up quickly. What I'm thinking is if I can stretch this until Memorial Day or even July 4th then I could probably scoop up some crazy deals. Monitor wise at least, not sure I want to wait to build the whole PC for 2 months.

The system I'm building should basically murder 1080p for those 2 months.
    -Matt

Real Name
    Ricardo

Good plan Matt. If only Black Friday was closer

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Matt

Memorial day is usually a pretty good one as well, and a lot of times those deals hit early, like the week of if not before. "Pre" memorial day sales. We'll see. Might wait to build the computer then as well, I might have to buy at least 2 new shoes for the car first lol.
    -Matt

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by Discus-n00b View Post
    Memorial day is usually a pretty good one as well, and a lot of times those deals hit early, like the week of if not before. "Pre" memorial day sales. We'll see. Might wait to build the computer then as well, I might have to buy at least 2 new shoes for the car first lol.
    I'll have newegg send you a few parts Matt and you can start building me a computer, huh, huh, huh? lol.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Matt

Just had to buy 4 new tires today for the car so naturally the computer takes a back seat to safety. Looks like this will be delayed a bit, but that gives prices a bit of time to come down and sales to pop up. I keep watching my email daily to have the holy grail Newegg email in it where they have dropped the price on every component I need at one time haha. I usually like to build my computers all at once, but this one I may just do it part by part as they fit in the budget. At least I have Amazon Prime, should help with shipping costs especially when doing multiple orders over time.

For this build I'm heading back to the green side (Nvidia) despite all of the hype and rumors about a 390x whatever AMD is putting out. My current card is red and I'm just not feeling it like I was with Nividia. The support is pure crap for it too. Don't get me wrong it works but I need more. Needless to say this jump in graphics may be one of the largest I've ever done in my personal computer from where I currently am to where I'm shooting.
    -Matt

Real Name
    Ricardo

Just had to buy 4 new tires today for the car so naturally the computer takes a back seat to safety. Looks like this will be delayed a bit, but that gives prices a bit of time to come down and sales to pop up. I keep watching my email daily to have the holy grail Newegg email in it where they have dropped the price on every component I need at one time haha. I usually like to build my computers all at once, but this one I may just do it part by part as they fit in the budget. At least I have Amazon Prime, should help with shipping costs especially when doing multiple orders over time.

For this build I'm heading back to the green side (Nvidia) despite all of the hype and rumors about a 390x whatever AMD is putting out. My current card is red and I'm just not feeling it like I was with Nividia. The support is pure crap for it too. Don't get me wrong it works but I need more. Needless to say this jump in graphics may be one of the largest I've ever done in my personal computer from where I currently am to where I'm shooting.
    a bit OT but when I had Amazon Prime, I found myself buying stuff on my wishlist that I would not have normally actually gone through with buying, but that free 2 day shipping is too tempting sometimes.

Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Matt

LOL I've done the same many times! Prime usually can be a deciding factor for me on where to buy since I can find and group so many items with prime instead of going through individual shops.
    -Matt

Real Name
    Ricardo

LOL I've done the same many times! Prime usually can be a deciding factor for me on where to buy since I can find and group so many items with prime instead of going through individual shops.
    same here. I didn't renew this year because it had gone up to like $100 for the year. I typically don't watch any of the Amazon prime streaming things, so I didn't find it that worth it for me.

Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Nathan

Lol I don't buy anything in Amazon that is not Prime eligible.

Only thing in my PC not from Amazon was my GPU, and that was because the previous one broke down unexpectedly. I miss the days when I had time after work to drive out and buy a part, install it, and go play video games hahaha!

Real Name
    Matt

Just thought of another expense. Forgot I'm running Windows 7 Home. If I want to eventually get to 32gb RAM or higher I need at least 7 Pro. Home version limits you at 16 for some stupid reason. Not terribly expensive just something I had forgotten until now. I read somewhere I'd be able to upgrade to 10 for free should I decide to (all 7 and 8 owners) as well. I will NOT run 8 anywhere close to my machines, curse that OS. At least it will be a clean install, I like clean installs.

Also, GTA 5 is available to pre load as of today after buying it, but it's going to take 62GB of space to install LOL crazy. I need bigger HDDs or to build this computer soon.
    -Matt

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kris

just thought id say...

4k makes people crazy...

I have a 40" seiki pro 4k monitor and twin titan Xs in my computer now...

the damage to my funds is real, but its so beautiful...

Real Name
    Matt

Oh man, I was just looking at a single Titan X for mine and I feel the pain already LOL. I keep dreaming of Pascal though and wonder if I should just invest in a GTX 980 now and wait it out. I don't know....i know something better will always be around the corner but Pascal seems like it'd be a significant step in GPU. But we're looking at, at LEAST 9 months for that probably more....(March if following the Titan X roadmap) maybe I should just go for it and pull the trigger on a Titan X. How do you like yours?

Also are you running SLI X's on the 750w PSU?
    Last edited by Discus-n00b; 04-11-2015 at 06:33 PM.
    -Matt

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kris

i have run dual GPUs on a 750w PSU but atm i am using a 1200w one.

i feel like the twin titan Xs can be run on a 750w as long as you dont overclock them, they dont use THAT much power.

but you really are pushing the PSU to the limit in that scenario

a titan X nicely matches the power of dual GTX 970s, overclock it and it can potentially match 980s in 4k.

its up to you, i dont think its that good a value, but it is the best.

Real Name
    Matt

Just curious about the PSU. I think for this build I'm going with a 750, maybe 850 as the price difference is minimal, for a single card setup. I feel like PSU prices aren't back breakers should I need to upgrade by going SLI in the future. I just see no reason for me to buy a 1000w+ PSU right now too.

I can't help but see that 12 VRAM as useful for the future. A bit overkill right now but surely it could last a while. And if DX12 really combines VRAM an SLI setup on these would be pretty insane especially if the price drops eventually to pickup a second one (Or buy one from the guys dumping them to go to Pascal). I'm leaning towards the Titan X right now, enjoy it for a year plus and not be an early adopter tax payer for Pascal but rather wait on the higher end Pascal cards that are geared more towards consumer gaming markets that I suspect will drop later in 2016. A single GTX 980 may work for me and would be cheaper, but questioning if it could handle 3440x1440 well enough though. Hmmm
    Last edited by Discus-n00b; 04-12-2015 at 01:33 AM.
    -Matt

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast