ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Computer building

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kris

Default Re: Computer building

my PSU is the Corsair AX1200i, i got it as an RMA of an old AX1200 that i had from a few years back that broke down on me.

just go 850w, I personally recommend the Corsair RM series of power supplies, nicely featured units.

the VRAM is what i thought too, many games are already busting out of 4GB in 4k gaming so having more than 6GB, around 8GB or more is best. With the titan X at 12GB, i think i am solid for awhile. the thing with DX12 combining VRAM and the like is that by the time we see DX12 games, this generation of hardware will be irrelevant so i wouldnt consider any pros of DX12 to be a major buying decision.

Real Name
    Matt

True about DX12 games. I was thinking about it coming out this summer rather than it actually being used when it does come out.

I looked at Corsair, thats what I've always used but think I will go EVGA this time. They are cheaper and get just as much if not more praise from what I can see, and have great customer support. Plus I read this http://www.overclock.net/t/1455892/w...corsair-rm-psu lol. Looked at Seasonic but its the little things, they don't offer different colored sleeved cables and I don't want to do it myself lol EVGA and Corsair both do. Just going to go EVGA 850 G2.
    -Matt

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kris

built a few systems using EVGA, not a single problem.

Real Name
    Matt

Literally just caught myself scrounging for stuff to sell so that I can afford the 1440p monitor from the get go LOL oh jeez. Anyone want to buy a brand new Penn offshore fishing reel....? I'd actually sell some of my old parts but I just looked a lot of them up and it almost made me cry. Saw someone selling an I7 920 for like $30-40....that won't do me much good. It is a used Bloomfield stuck a few generations behind after all. x58 Mobo isn't much better. That's how technology goes I guess.

Think I'm ready to pull the trigger though, at least on a few parts to get the ball rolling. Might as well take advantage of a few deals while they are there. I'm one of those people who put everything in the shopping cart and keep it there for days on end to make sure I really want it. I really want this....going to hurt the bank account for a while but I think it will be worth it in the end. This is what I'm looking at parts wise of what I need:

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
    CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 73.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97MX-Gaming 5 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
    Memory: Kingston Fury White Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX Titan X 12GB Video Card
    Case: Corsair Air 240 MicroATX Mid Tower Case
    Power Supply: EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 (OEM) (64-bit)
    Case Fan: Corsair Air Series SP120 High Performance Edition (2-Pack) 62.7 CFM 120mm Fans
    Case Fan: Corsair Air Series SP120 High Performance Edition (2-Pack) 62.7 CFM 120mm Fans
    Other: Custom PSU sleeved cables

What's the problem with making a plain white or plain black motherboard? Is it that difficult? Ugh that's my only complaint, can't find just a plain motherboard.
    -Matt

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kris

looks like a solid build, i personally prefer going with asus over gigabyte nowadays because i like how they have their UEFI setup better. I also have had more odd problems with otherwise perfectly working gigabyte boards like having to replug my mouse everytime i restarted the computer.

oh and just thought id share, I got one of those new Kingston HyperX Predator PCI-E/M.2 SSDs in my system, and it is just amazing... might be something worth looking into but its considerably more pricey than a typical samsung drive.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

also... am i the only person alive that actually prefers tower coolers to AIO liquid coolers? lol

Real Name
    Nathan

Quote Originally Posted by kris2341 View Post
    am i the only person alive that actually prefers tower coolers to AIO liquid coolers? lol
    I think just us two LOL! Someday they'll make liquid coolers with pumps that can get as quiet as air coolers in minimum fan rpm...

Real Name
    Matt

You aren't, but most of the good air coolers will not fit in the Corsair Air 240 case because they are all massive and wouldn't allow the side window to close. Its an mATX build remember haha. Not to mention most are fairly ugly as far as aesthetics go LOL. Whats the point of a color scheme or cool ram sticks and what not if all you see is plastic fans strapped onto a large chunk of metal in the middle of the window? Since I won't be going OC crazy or anything the AIO cooler should be a fine setup in push pull. I have an old Corsair AIO now, forget the model, but I've never had a problem with noise. I guess I'm one of the few who don't mind hearing a computer, heck I already have pumps, skimmers, etc all going on with the aquariums in the same room what is a small amount of computer fan noise?

The only reason I chose Gigabyte mobo was price, originally had an Asus Gryphon in there.....and still might put it back as that's probably what I prefer. The Gigabyte option would just save me a bit of money. I guess in the grand scheme at this level it would be like counting pennies though.

Those Kingstons are pretty cool, a bit out of budget at the moment though.
    Last edited by Discus-n00b; 04-13-2015 at 08:28 AM.
    -Matt

Real Name
    Ricardo

hmmm, this is how people feel when we talk photography Matt?

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Matt

LOL yes Ricardo I guess so!

Its really quite simple after reading a bit, IMO at least. Like Photography the talk includes a lot of acronyms! I've never taken a class on this stuff, just by doing my own research and reading have picked it all up. Still a lot I don't know about it but its fairly simple as you get into it.
    -Matt

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by Discus-n00b View Post
    LOL yes Ricardo I guess so!

Its really quite simple after reading a bit, IMO at least. Like Photography the talk includes a lot of acronyms! I've never taken a class on this stuff, just by doing my own research and reading have picked it all up. Still a lot I don't know about it but its fairly simple as you get into it.
    I suppose it is like anything else you need to read up on. My concern has always been, if I build a computer, how do you program it?!? That alone throws me off from ever wanting to do anything with computers, lol.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Matt

An even trickier situation is not having an Optical Drive anymore. CDs and DVDs are ancient technology now and computers are increasingly going away from them. I won't be using one in my new build. If you do have one, insert the disk in the drive and then when you start the computer it should give you an option to go into your BIOS, which is menus coming from the motherboard. In the BIOS you assign a drive to boot from, set it to boot from the optical drive and restart and it should boot into Windows setup. You can then go back and change your boot drive after. If you don't have an optical drive you could do something like a USB with the program/setup on it. I don't know why they don't do this standard, when I buy a new copy of windows, ship me a USB drive with it on there.....why haven't they gone to this yet?

Since I don't think I can buy Windows 7 from Microsoft anymore and just download it to a USB drive I think I'm going to just purchase a disc and use my optical drive from my current computer and just plug it up to the new one just for this one purpose. Install then unplug the optical drive and curse it forever to let it die its ancient death. Once you install windows its all simple after that, installing your programs and browsers and such.

Any other type of programming can be a bit more complex, like overclocking messing with voltage and stuff in BIOS. Generally not something the usual consumer will be doing anyway.
    -Matt

Real Name
    Matt

So, a 4 month (to the day of last post!) bump. I'm FINALLY ordering parts for my new PC. I ordered everything but the CPU, Motherboard, and RAM (and graphics card but it's not in stock currently). These parts apart from the graphics card are still up in the air. I waited until Intel dropped their new Skylake processors to see how they would perform. Trying decide between the new Skylake 6700k or a x99 platform 5820k. Was leaning Skylake for the longest time, now I'm not so sure....hmmm. I will keep diving into my nerd forums for an answer I guess!
    -Matt

Real Name
    Matt

So since switching computers and such I hadn't put Photoshop and all my tools on until tonight. So I finally uploaded some pictures. I can get more of the build but here are one of the case and my desk setup currently. I usually have the white LEDs turned off, I think I need to half the number I have in there if anything. It's to bright, the Geforce GTX doesn't pop enough. Eventually I'd like to go with water cooling, though I'm pushing 4.7ghz out of this processor on air which is excellent, and change my wiring to white.

-Matt

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Awesome Matt. You would laugh at my little setup. Laptop driving a 24 inch (note, only one monitor LOL) with wireless keyboard and mouse on a small drop-down desk. Suits my needs for now.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Ricardo

Nice Matt! The light from that monster would annoy the crap out of me during editing though, lol.

Cafepress.com

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast