AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to achieve and maintain good shape for babies.

Registered Member

Default Re: How to achieve and maintain good shape for babies.

Looks like you got some Razor backs, probably should cull these and also check for some short or flair out gill covers. You may want to check your KH reading. The body shape is genetic.
    Cliff
    Last edited by CliffsDiscus; 03-27-2015 at 02:28 PM.

Real Name
    Rick

IMO, the deformities you are seeing (razorbacks) is a result of a bacterial issue while still wigglers on the cone. You just don't catch the damage and they mature and then it becomes visible. There is nothing you can do about it. I don't think it is a KH problem for this specific issue.
    Ex-President-North American Discus Association-NADA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Homesteader Kingdom Come Discus's Avatar

If the babies were visibly better after your PP treatment than I would say the PP treatment helped. I have had young with clamped fins go back to normal after treating for bacterial infections. When I treat with antibiotics I usually go at least 10 days if not 14. A three day PP treatment is recommended in the link I sent you. I like Pat's point and I think you need a established biological filter of some sort in the tank, although if the fish are not breathing heavy ammonia may not be a issue. Are you noticing more fish with fins clamping? If so then you know it is a ongoing problem and not just something that happened in the past. I know it is a hard call to make as there is a lot of great advice here for you. Keep us posted please and the best of luck!!!
    Kraig

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Parag

nc0gnet0,

What should I do to avoid this happening again? What steps you will recommend?

Thanks

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Parag

Kingdom Come Discus,

Which antibiotics you used? I will do the 3 day PP treatment and then will let you know.

Thanks

Homesteader Kingdom Come Discus's Avatar

For over the last year or so I have tried the following treatments on a few batches of fry. Keep in mind I don't raise a lot of fish.

I used Erythromycin, Triple Sulfa, Nitrofurazone mixed with Kanamycin in a effort to replicate spectrogram which has not been on the market for many years now.

If I have anymore outbreaks I am going to do what I should have done in the first place. Take a hour ride to see Kentucky State University's Fish Pathologist. His services are free through the Commonwealth's extension service.
    Kraig

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Parag

Hi all,

Update : Got the Ammonia test kit. Took readings from few tanks with babies today morning. It was after about 13 hours from last syphon. The readings range from 0.25 to 1 PPM. So seems that even doing 70% water changes 2 time a day are not enough and need bio-filters. I will be installing filters from tomorrow. But that will take 3-4 weeks to take effect.

Mean while can some one confirm that these levels of ammonia may result in the clamp/deformed fins in babies? Or there are still other factors? What about the bacterial attach? How to prevent that?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Parag

Real Name
    Aaron

<<Will higher ammonia cause fin injury or deformation or fin clamping?>>

Yes, absolutely.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12