AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 27 of 31 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting back into Discus

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Default Re: Getting back into Discus

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    Great news mate. Hoping this time they go the distance! They've got the genes & the fish husband for it for sure! Rootin for ya mate, lol

Thanks Dan.
    Same thing happened as last time. As soon as they went free swimming they were picked off by the parents. Hoping they get it right after a few goes.
    In the meantime lots of egg laying going on in the main tank. I have two females both laying eggs on a cone at the same time, while this other female has picked her favorite spot on part of the driftwood...Not sure if there is any males among them

dd1.jpg
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Its been a little over 3 months since it was established that i had a proven pair, and about another 12 rounds of egg laying and eaten before they had time to hatch. I was considering swapping the female over with one of the others, or even maybe placing wire mesh over the eggs, but figured they may have been eaten after they hatched anyway, but i persevered.

The pair started feeding better over the last month or so taking beef heart and the pallets i offer them daily. They laid a nicer clutch of eggs a few days ago, and i was surprised to see they had hatched and the fry transferred onto the sponge filter once more.

Hopefully this time they make it....Lucky i have patience...Fingers crossed.

Real Name
    Pat

Great thread, your commitment to it and the hobby is inspiring. I hope to do something similar to what you've done over the course here and if it goes half as well as yours I'll be over the moon!

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Great news Joe...got my fins crossed for ya mate...Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi oi oi!

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by two utes View Post
    Its been a little over 3 months since it was established that i had a proven pair, and about another 12 rounds of egg laying and eaten before they had time to hatch. I was considering swapping the female over with one of the others, or even maybe placing wire mesh over the eggs, but figured they may have been eaten after they hatched anyway, but i persevered.

The pair started feeding better over the last month or so taking beef heart and the pallets i offer them daily. They laid a nicer clutch of eggs a few days ago, and i was surprised to see they had hatched and the fry transferred onto the sponge filter once more.

Hopefully this time they make it....Lucky i have patience...Fingers crossed.
    how many utes did you get from the spawn? I did not go back to read what the parents were.

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Quote Originally Posted by pantherlax View Post
    Great thread, your commitment to it and the hobby is inspiring. I hope to do something similar to what you've done over the course here and if it goes half as well as yours I'll be over the moon!
    Thanks for your lovely comments Pat. I wish you all the best with your future endevours. I must say, that when it all comes together it really is worth all the commitment.

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    Great news Joe...got my fins crossed for ya mate...Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi oi oi!
    Thanks Dan...I've got all my fins crossed too mate

Quote Originally Posted by peewee1 View Post
    how many utes did you get from the spawn? I did not go back to read what the parents were.
    I've only ever had two utes
    Due to their location, Its hard to clearly see how many fry hatched, but at a guess there would be around 70 or so

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

'Old habbits never die' .....The fry went free swimming yesterday, and this morning only a few were left. I'm glad that i have a proven pair but will i ever be able to raise some fry for them? There's got to be a way to keep the fry from being eaten...Any suggestions for me to consider would be welcomed

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

The few that were left are doing well. There's actually six of them. I figured id let them be so to give the parents some practice, and maybe they wont eat them next time. Also it may give the female a small break from laying eggs for awhile. I'll take them out and put them in a grow out tank in a week or so. Its what i wanted to achieve, but i'll certainly aim for a bigger batch.

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

I spoke to soon...back to the drawing board

Real Name
    Frank

I did not read the 20 pages but are there any other fish with the pair? How large a volume are they in?
    I am having an issue of losing fry due to too much light intensity. Just throwing out some possibilities.

'Old habbits never die' .....The fry went free swimming yesterday, and this morning only a few were left. I'm glad that i have a proven pair but will i ever be able to raise some fry for them? There's got to be a way to keep the fry from being eaten...Any suggestions for me to consider would be welcomed

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Quote Originally Posted by fljones3 View Post
    I did not read the 20 pages but are there any other fish with the pair? How large a volume are they in?
    I am having an issue of losing fry due to too much light intensity. Just throwing out some possibilities.
    Thanks for your reply Frank.
    It is a very long thread which i started when i began this journey, and wouldn't expect anyone to read through it all.

This pair are on their own in a 35gal tank.
    I have a light that comes on automatically in the morning and afternoon for about an hour each time and is when im feeding. I also put a very dim night light on them when they start the cycle.
    I neglected to reduce the volume of water in the tank just before the fry hatched, and i will try that on their next attempt.

I think another thing that is hindering their progress is that they share the bathroom with my son who likes to play music when in there, and something that i have spoken to him about.

Hopefully both you and i will have better success on the next round.

Registered Member

Thanks for your reply Frank.
    It is a very long thread which i started when i began this journey, and wouldn't expect anyone to read through it all.

This pair are on their own in a 35gal tank.
    I have a light that comes on automatically in the morning and afternoon for about an hour each time and is when im feeding. I also put a very dim night light on them when they start the cycle.
    I neglected to reduce the volume of water in the tank just before the fry hatched, and i will try that on their next attempt.

I think another thing that is hindering their progress is that they share the bathroom with my son who likes to play music when in there, and something that i have spoken to him about.

Hopefully both you and i will have better success on the next round.
    I would think that it would depend on the choice of music. He could play selections from "The Little Mermaid" "Finding Nemo" and some of the Pirates of the Caribbean music. Take it from me both your boy and you fish will thrive.

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Quote Originally Posted by peewee1 View Post
    I would think that it would depend on the choice of music. He could play selections from "The Little Mermaid" "Finding Nemo" and some of the Pirates of the Caribbean music. Take it from me both your boy and you fish will thrive.
    Whatever floats your boat.

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

I was ready to roll up my sleeves and do a much needed clean up in their tank this morning, but when i went to start i found that she had another good batch of eggs. I'll try keeping the water level lower and make some adjustments to their lighting and see how they go this time.

d2.jpgd1.jpg

Real Name
    Pat

Knocking on wood for you!

Page 27 of 31 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast