ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 14 of 31 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting back into Discus

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Default Re: Getting back into Discus

Quote Originally Posted by DatDiscusDude View Post
    How did you decide to get rid of 2? I don't think I could have done that. I understand your reasoning but man that had to be tough!
    Not getting rid of 2. I'm just transferring 2, which i think is a pair to the Blue Diamond tank to see if l can get them to breed.
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

Registered Member
    Real Name
    DatDiscusDude

Ohhhh! I see... I thought you were selling 2, to try and get a pair from the 6...

You are selling off all the BD's?

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Quote Originally Posted by DatDiscusDude View Post
    Ohhhh! I see... I thought you were selling 2, to try and get a pair from the 6...

You are selling off all the BD's?
    Yes that is correct....I'm just about to go catch the blue diamonds and off to my local fish store.

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

I put a ruler over this Spotted Eruption during the transfer into the breeding tank, and was happy to see its 7 inch long. In the picture the ruler doesn't look like its lined up with the front of the head, but it was, and looks a fair way off from the angle of the photo taken.......I wonder if it will still continue to grow a little more? Its approx' 1 year and 3 months old.

1-20170324_151225.jpg

Real Name
    Filip

Quote Originally Posted by two utes View Post
    I put a ruler over this Spotted Eruption during the transfer into the breeding tank, and was happy to see its 7 inch long. In the picture the ruler doesn't look like its lined up with the front of the head, but it was, and looks a fair way off from the angle of the photo taken.......I wonder if it will still continue to grow a little more? Its approx' 1 year and 3 months old.

1-20170324_151225.jpg
    And now you got your self your " ruler picture " set and ready for the contest Joe .
    And the other 3 discus tank shots will be much easier to take .

Great size with only 15 months of age . I'm guessing an inch more next year this time .
    Great job Joe .

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Quote Originally Posted by Filip View Post
    And now you got your self your " ruler picture " set and ready for the contest Joe .
    And the other 3 discus tank shots will be much easier to take .

Great size with only 15 months of age . I'm guessing an inch more next year this time .
    Great job Joe .
    Thanks again Filip. As much as l like how they turned out, l don't think they are 'show' quality, but thanks for the compliment If they grow another inch in 12 months i will be absolutely wrapped!!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Sayid

Hi Joe;
    Congratulation on the 7 inch milestone ,you have looked after those eruption with hard work and dedication , they certainly look awesome ,i am probably the only one who have witnessed their growing up and i am fortunate to have 4 of them ( not 7 inch by any means ) , thanks by the way for offering those BD to me first and it is a shame that i could not take them for the reasons that i mentioned to you but i am sure it would not take long before people would snatch them up , any way good luck with the breeding project and i will be in touch .
    Sayid

Real Name
    Filip

Quote Originally Posted by two utes View Post
    Thanks again Filip. As much as l like how they turned out, l don't think they are 'show' quality, but thanks for the compliment If they grow another inch in 12 months i will be absolutely wrapped!!
    I was just trying to encourage you to participate in the contest Joe .
    And whether this discus is a show quality or not , I'll just let that for NADA judges to decide .

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Quote Originally Posted by sayid View Post
    Hi Joe;
    Congratulation on the 7 inch milestone ,you have looked after those eruption with hard work and dedication , they certainly look awesome ,i am probably the only one who have witnessed their growing up and i am fortunate to have 4 of them ( not 7 inch by any means ) , thanks by the way for offering those BD to me first and it is a shame that i could not take them for the reasons that i mentioned to you but i am sure it would not take long before people would snatch them up , any way good luck with the breeding project and i will be in touch .
    Sayid
    Thanks Sayid, and good luck with your project. I suggest you start your own thread, as its a good way for people on here to get ideas and sometimes motivated, not to mention it being good reference for yourself, and the main reason l have stuck with this one

Quote Originally Posted by Filip View Post
    I was just trying to encourage you to participate in the contest Joe .
    And whether this discus is a show quality or not , I'll just let that for NADA judges to decide .
    Thanks Filip. Its going to be a good comp, and a fantastic idea giving people from all over the opportunity to participate. Some great minds on this forum, and the main reason l hang around

wow, I would love to know where do you get these fish in Melbourne, I normally get my fish imported.
    Would love to visit your fish room 1 day !

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Quote Originally Posted by HarryDk View Post
    wow, I would love to know where do you get these fish in Melbourne, I normally get my fish imported.
    Would love to visit your fish room 1 day !

I purchased my discus from a local breeder that wishes to stay anonymous. He does sell discus to a distributor in Melbourne though which supplies lots of Aquarium stores around Melbourne. You would be most welcomed to come see my fish any time

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dhaval

I always like to comeback to this thread and check updates...they are just gorgeous....

Are you sure they are 'pure' discus....some how looking at them it feels like their great great grandmother, the finest of the discus, was adventurous and went and fooled around with a beautiful tall red spotted severum...the result of their 'love' identified themselves as discus and hung around with other fellow discus and proliferated through generations and landed in your aquarium.... just kidding!

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Quote Originally Posted by Dhavalsp View Post
    I always like to comeback to this thread and check updates...they are just gorgeous....

Are you sure they are 'pure' discus....some how looking at them it feels like their great great grandmother, the finest of the discus, was adventurous and went and fooled around with a beautiful tall red spotted severum...the result of their 'love' identified themselves as discus and hung around with other fellow discus and proliferated through generations and landed in your aquarium.... just kidding!
    Thanks for coming back to check up on them, and for your compliment.
    Haha, that's funny .......maybe she did

Not much happening at the moment, except that they are still doing well, and l have noticed some more growth.
    The two in the breeding tank have settled in but I'm yet to see any interest in breeding. I'm going to try and play around with lighting and a some larger than normal water changes, or maybe introduce another discus that i think may be a male, and see if l can entice them to breed, but I'm in no hurry, and will give them more alone time in that tank.
    If something more interesting happens in the main tank with another pair, I may do a swap or two.

Did l mention that l have lots of patience?

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Just an update on the two l have in the breeding tank.
    Not much going on in there at the moment. I have varied the amount of light on the tank, and also have done some larger than usual water changes, but there doesn't seem to be any interest, like what was being displayed in the show tank with the rest of the group.
    I have removed a bag of shell grit that l had in there on the sponge filter to alter the PH, hoping that this may get the party going. Ph has been stable at 6.8. Temp 27 degrees Celsius (80.5 Fahrenheit)

Any ideas or suggestions about this would be appreciated

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

It has been awhile since l have posted some updated pictures of my group, but part of the reason was because l took part in the I-Discus 2017 show on here.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...AA-Discus-2017

To say that l was very surprised and overwhelmed that one of my discus took out the top prize is an understatement, and l would once again like to thank everybody involved with the international discus show, and also congratulate all the other prize winners.

The show was organized to commemorate Simply Discus's 15 years anniversary, and l would like to congratulate Al and his Simply Discus Team for this great milestone.

Here are the pictures of the four Discus that l entered in the show, wit the first one winning the 'Grand Champion' award.

I hope to put up some more pictures of the whole group soon.

Thanks also to everyone that has been following this thread, and for all the support along the way.

1-A4 two utes.jpg1-A1 two utes-001.jpg1-A2 two utes.jpg1-A3 two utes.jpg

1-B4 two utes.jpg1-B1 two utes.jpg1-B2 two utes.jpg1-B3 twoutes.jpg
    Last edited by Second Hand Pat; 05-23-2017 at 06:19 PM.

Page 14 of 31 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast