Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Default Re: Getting back into Discus

We're here for a good time...not a long time

Registered Member
    Real Name
    DatDiscusDude

Spectacular fish! Have always been a fave of mine.

Congrats on the big win. Well earned and deserved !

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Quote Originally Posted by DatDiscusDude View Post
    Spectacular fish! Have always been a fave of mine.

Congrats on the big win. Well earned and deserved !
    Thank you very much for your comment. Much appreciated!

Well l moved some discus around today. The so called pair l placed into the breeding tank almost 3 months ago, haven't shown any sign of breeding except for having their noses pointed at the breeding cone.
    In the meantime back in the main tank, the discus that won the comp has paired up with a known female. I watched her lay eggs awhile back and can clearly identify her from a small heart shape she has on her right gill plate. Now whether the 'grand champion' is a male or not has still to be proved, but both fish were shaking, and cleaning an area on the filter input hose, while showing aggression to anyone that came near. Now they might be two females, but I've decided to move them into the breeding tank for awhile to see....At least l put an end to the aggression in the main tank.

Hope to take some updated pictures some time soon, but all fish are in great condition, and l just love watching them.

On a side note feeding has been reduced dramatically, mainly based upon their demand, which l think is normal since they have reached full adult size.

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Registered Member Keith Perkins's Avatar
    Real Name
    CozyKeith

Nice
    President - North American Discus Association

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Sayid

Hi Joe ;
    They look magnificent and very healthy ,mine also do the dance and the shake and the cleaning a spot but when it come to the business nothing happens so we have to do the wait ........!!!!!!!!.
    Good luck.
    Sayid

Wow Joe! They look incredible! What a beefy crew! What are you feeding those fish? Or I should say what aren't you feeding them? They have such a great round shape as well. The one in the pic of six on the far right has a hilarious expression on it's face! Thanks for posting those.
    "You can't trust water: Even a straight stick turns crooked in it." -W.C.Fields

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Perkins View Post
    Nice
    Cheers Keith

Quote Originally Posted by sayid View Post
    Hi Joe ;
    They look magnificent and very healthy ,mine also do the dance and the shake and the cleaning a spot but when it come to the business nothing happens so we have to do the wait ........!!!!!!!!.
    Good luck.
    Sayid
    Thanks Sayid.....Hope you have better luck than l am with this breeding ambition

Quote Originally Posted by Jenene View Post
    Wow Joe! They look incredible! What a beefy crew! What are you feeding those fish? Or I should say what aren't you feeding them? They have such a great round shape as well. The one in the pic of six on the far right has a hilarious expression on it's face! Thanks for posting those.
    Thanks Jenene. As l mentioned feeds have been dramatically reduced due to there being lots of uneaten food left in the tank. They still receive 2 small lots of granules,and beef heart, and occasionally some freeze dried black worms, but nowhere near the quantity they were once getting.....At one stage they were eating better than l was

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Well it has only been a couple of days, and today l watched the known female lay rows of eggs on Barb's cone. The male though, (if he is indeed a male) did not oblige, but came in every now and then and had a peck at them. I know they usually take a few times to get it right, but i am hoping that they are indeed a pair.....stay tuned

Real Name
    Filip

Nice tank pics Joe. Your discus looks stunning as always and I like that reddish tint under the pink lights in your display tank .

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Quote Originally Posted by Filip View Post
    Nice tank pics Joe. Your discus looks stunning as always and I like that reddish tint under the pink lights in your display tank .
    Thanks Filip, your comments are always appreciated. Yes that flouro tube does have a nice tint to it, but l'm not sure that l'll be able to replace it once its gone, as l'm not sure if they still produce them.

The pair l mentioned earlier ended up eating their eggs overnight, and nothing much has happened in their own private tank.

......ln the meantime .....back in the main tank another pair formed and laid eggs yesterday afternoon. They are still looking after the eggs this morning and they have not discolored. Keeping my fingers crossed that this may be a proven pair, and if so will do another switch in the breeding tanks

1-20170716_185216_resized.jpg1-20170716_174441_resized.jpg1-20170716_174617_resized.jpg1-20170716_174753_resized.jpg

Sorry for the poor quality photos

Photos look fine to me Joe though we do need to get you a nice dslr Fish look awesome. Can't remember but would this be your first time going down the breeders Path? exciting times "Down Under" my friend.Got my fingers and toes crossed for you.

al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Photos look fine to me Joe though we do need to get you a nice dslr Fish look awesome. Can't remember but would this be your first time going down the breeders Path? exciting times "Down Under" my friend.Got my fingers and toes crossed for you.

al
    Thanks Al. Yes a dslr would be handy. I've had discus lay eggs, and had wrigglers in the past in a community tank, but this is my first serious attempt, as l have a breeder tank on standby At this stage l need all the good luck and support l can get, so thanks for that
    Last edited by two utes; 07-16-2017 at 07:36 PM.

Real Name
    Eric

Those are a couple gorgeous breeding pairs you have there Joe, congrats! I am looking forward to seeing the results. Someday I want to do exactly what you are doing, and with the same strain! Keep the pic coming, DLSR or iphone

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Sayid

Quote Originally Posted by two utes View Post
    Thanks Filip, your comments are always appreciated. Yes that flouro tube does have a nice tint to it, but l'm not sure that l'll be able to replace it once its gone, as l'm not sure if they still produce them.

The pair l mentioned earlier ended up eating their eggs overnight, and nothing much has happened in their own private tank.

......ln the meantime .....back in the main tank another pair formed and laid eggs yesterday afternoon. They are still looking after the eggs this morning and they have not discolored. Keeping my fingers crossed that this may be a proven pair, and if so will do another switch in the breeding tanks

1-20170716_185216_resized.jpg1-20170716_174441_resized.jpg1-20170716_174617_resized.jpg1-20170716_174753_resized.jpg

Sorry for the poor quality photos
    I wish you luck my friend and good luck with the eggs .

Page 15 of 31 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast