Default Re: Getting back into Discus

Stunning Joe, SO cool mate

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    Stunning Joe, SO cool mate
    Thanks Dan.

After going free swimming the amount of fry slowly reduced, i'm estimating that there may be only 30 or so left swimming around in the tank now, but its hard to tell. The male darkened, and fry would attach for periods of time. I allowed a couple of days hoping all would attach but it wasn't to be.
    I have introduced newly hatched brine shrimp to aid in the survival for those that remain. I'll also start introducing very finely ground pallets and freeze dried black worms soon.

Im doing small daily water changes to keep the tank clean, being very careful not to suck up any of the fry while i vacum the bottom of the tank.

Im not at all discouraged by the amount of fry left, as im sure this will improve as they have more goes at it. I find myself spending more time gazing at them, and consider myself fortunate to be in the hobby

d3.jpgd1.jpgd2.jpg
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

Real Name
    Francis

Very nice LSS parents with good pattern and shape.Is one of the LSS with golden genes?
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Real Name
    Ricardo

Beautiful!

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Quote Originally Posted by seanyuki View Post
    Very nice LSS parents with good pattern and shape.Is one of the LSS with golden genes?
    Thanks Francis.
    I'm not at all aware of the golden genes being present, but its very possible seeing she has a much yellower tinge than the rest of the group. I do know that there was quite a variance between her siblings, and l wish l could have kept a variety of them as well as the ones i chose to keep to put in my main tank

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    Beautiful!
    Thanks Rick. Nice to see you around on here again.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by two utes View Post
    Thanks Francis.
    I'm not at all aware of the golden genes being present, but its very possible seeing she has a much yellower tinge than the rest of the group. I do know that there was quite a variance between her siblings, and l wish l could have kept a variety of them as well as the ones i chose to keep to put in my main tank

Thanks Rick. Nice to see you around on here again.
    Thanks Joe. I wanted to catch up and see what everyone was up to in the community

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Two weeks in and the group has been diminished down to about a dozen fry who seem to be doing well feeding off both parents, as well as my two daily feeds of newly hatched brine shrimp, ground pellets and freeze dried black worm mix.
    I'm also maintaining daily vacuums and slowly increasing the volume of water in the tank.

As i watched them last night the female was starting to quiver, and she then started to peck at the cone. I was surprised when she started making passes on it with the fry still attached. The male was huddled in the corner seemingly wanting nothing to do with it.

With the lights on this morning i could see that she was busy into the night laying a nice clutch of eggs, but i have no idea if the male fertilized them or not. Two of the eggs have already turned white, and it will be only a matter of time before i find out if they are fertile or not.

I'm kind of worried if they will get aggressive towards the remaining fry, as i really would like to put them in a grow out tank once they reach nickle size, and what i've done in the past, though this process may have to be done sooner rather than later.

Any suggestions on what you think i should do would be very welcomed.

t5.jpgt6.jpgt7.jpgt8.jpgt1.jpgt3.jpgt4.jpg

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

A short video clip before lights out yesterday.

Neither of the parents seem interested in the batch of eggs laid which may be a good thing at this stage....Hoping that i get the remaining discus into a grow out tank in a couple of weeks.

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

I don't know how to direct you Joe, but your remaining fry look great, so I hope you are able to achieve your goals to get them to the grow out tank mate

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    I don't know how to direct you Joe, but your remaining fry look great, so I hope you are able to achieve your goals to get them to the grow out tank mate
    Thanks Dan.

The remaining fry are still doing well. The other clutch of eggs hatched last night and have been transferred to the sponge filter. This is the first time this has occurred for me.

I'm hoping the parents don't get aggressive towards the first batch and eat them, though they seem to be paying more attention to them then the new wrigglers....This is going to be interesting.

Congratulations Joe! I’m thinking the older siblings are big enough to be on the safe side as long as the parents are kept well fed. I think it will actually work out better this way since the fry are not that far apart in age. It would be great if they could be treated and moved as one group.
    A win win so to say. Nicely played. You’ve done a great job for generations. They are repaying you in numbers and vitality. Keep on keeping on. It’s incredible what you have achieved.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Hi Joe, first the parents and fry look great and definitely some interesting things happening between the parents and all their fry lol.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Quote Originally Posted by Jenene View Post
    Congratulations Joe! I’m thinking the older siblings are big enough to be on the safe side as long as the parents are kept well fed. I think it will actually work out better this way since the fry are not that far apart in age. It would be great if they could be treated and moved as one group.
    A win win so to say. Nicely played. You’ve done a great job for generations. They are repaying you in numbers and vitality. Keep on keeping on. It’s incredible what you have achieved.
    Thanks Jenene. That is a nice thought raising both batches as one group, but its not to be. The parents were not paying any attention to the newly hatched fry except for transferring them onto the sponge filter, and they all disappeared soon after.

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Hi Joe, first the parents and fry look great and definitely some interesting things happening between the parents and all their fry lol.
    Pat
    Thanks Pat. It certainly was interesting to see what happened...i really though they would turn on the first batch, but continued to care for them. I suppose there are always different outcomes to these events.

The pair are still caring for thirteen fry, which are developing nicely. I'll take them out soon and place them in a grow out tank. I'm hoping the pair will do there thing once again soon after.
    I'm maintaining daily water changes, and have filled the tank to its capacity. Ive also introduced my finely ground frozen beef heart mix to their feeds which they are taking. There are a couple of runts among them, and some are starting to show their bars, showing that they will be similar to their parents.
    It will be interesting to see them develop further and how they turn out.

At this point l'll start preparing the grow out tank and hopefully transfer them in there next weekend.

z4.jpgz1.jpgz2.jpgz3.jpg

Real Name
    Frank

Nice looking Joe!

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Blood marv mate!!

Page 30 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2028293031 LastLast