Default Re: Getting back into Discus

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan925 View Post
    Wow Joe those guys are beefy. Great job

Thanks Ryan. Yes, they're filling out nicely aren't they
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

Quote Originally Posted by two utes View Post
    Thanks Ryan. Yes, they're filling out nicely aren't they
    Ya they are. Great work you've done there. I'd like to try my hand at a grow out one of these days when I can put in the time to make it a successful endeavor.

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Ya they are. Great work you've done there. I'd like to try my hand at a grow out one of these days when I can put in the time to make it a successful endeavor.

I hope that you get an opportunity to do that Ryan. I have found it very satisfying. Its great being able to have some control on how your fish grow and develop, but mainly watching them progress.

Quote Originally Posted by two utes View Post
    I hope that you get an opportunity to do that Ryan. I have found it very satisfying. Its great being able to have some control on how your fish grow and develop, but mainly watching them progress.
    I can imagine its very fulfilling when you have the type of success that you did. Sort of a visual pat on the back for all of your hard work and dedication.

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

I can imagine its very fulfilling when you have the type of success that you did. Sort of a visual pat on the back for all of your hard work and dedication.
    Thanks Ryan

Real Name
    Phil

Joe,

the spots on these guys are just truly stunning. Honestly almost looks fake, like they are too perfect. There is one pic the guy just has rows of perfect spots in a perfect array... Amazing!

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Quote Originally Posted by Phillydubs View Post
    Joe,

the spots on these guys are just truly stunning. Honestly almost looks fake, like they are too perfect. There is one pic the guy just has rows of perfect spots in a perfect array... Amazing!
    Thanks Phil. Yes they look very pretty with their different array of spots, and the only way that l can tell them apart. I remember seeing picture of Pennang Eruptions on here many years ago and was drawn in by them.
    I'm looking forward to see how their patterns and colors develop further over the next few months.

Real Name
    Eric

Those Spotted Eruptions are some of the prettiest fish I have seen pictured, great work! Definitely looking forward to watching the blue diamonds grow out. Very impressive all around!

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Quote Originally Posted by Clawhammer View Post
    Those Spotted Eruptions are some of the prettiest fish I have seen pictured, great work! Definitely looking forward to watching the blue diamonds grow out. Very impressive all around!
    Thanks very much Eric. I've seen some beauties pictured on this forum, and the reason l wanted to raise a group. I'm looking forward to them developing further.
    I still have awhile to go with the blue diamonds, but its interesting seeing them grow out.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mike

Fantastic read! Will be following this closely Joe.

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Quote Originally Posted by barber mike View Post
    Fantastic read! Will be following this closely Joe.

Hi Mike. Glad you enjoyed reading through my thread. Looks like you are new on this forum so welcome. Take a good look around, as there's lots of good information from lots of knowledgeable people.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Sayid

Hello every one;
    It is about 7 weeks that i got 4 eruption from Joe , when i brought them home i put them straight in their own q tank 212 l which was already prepared before their arrival , their stay started smooth and almost immediately they started to eat ,i tried to keep the food ,conditions of the tank ,temp etc exactly the same as what Joe kept them at but despite every effort they spooked every now and them for no apparent reason during one episode one of them hit his tummy and lost a few scale but healed with extra w/c and a bit of rock salt ,about 3 weeks ago they started to show a little higher rate of breathing than normal and crowding in the corner of tank next to the prefilter sponge ,i had to treat the tank with 2 ppm of PP two times with one week in between ,that reduced the breathing but they still showed signs of being nervousness but i knew they are not sick and they still ate but not as much as before , i was in contact with Joe during these times and in one occasion when he visited me he suggested to introduce at least 2 other discus of same size in to the tank to boost their confidence.

I introduced 2 more discus about 4 days ago and also on suggestion of Joe i put 2 plants in pots and i am planning to put a thin layer of white PFS to imitate the conditions that they grow up , so far the results are excellent , they are relaxed in the tank their appetite has improved and they have not spooked so far ( THANK YOU JOE )

I don't think my discus has grown much but they are very happy and i plan to continue their diet and hopefully now that their numbers has increased they will grow a bit more .
    I will keep reporting their progress .
    cheers
    Sayid

Registered Member

Joe those fish are beautiful. You mentioned your water being very good. What are its parameters?
    I have well water here in Northern Ct. U.S.A. and just wondering how they compare.
    Again, great job.
    Jay

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Quote Originally Posted by sayid View Post
    i was in contact with Joe during these times and in one occasion when he visited me he suggested to introduce at least 2 other discus of same size in to the tank to boost their confidence.

I introduced 2 more discus about 4 days ago and also on suggestion of Joe i put 2 plants in pots and i am planning to put a thin layer of white PFS to imitate the conditions that they grow up , so far the results are excellent , they are relaxed in the tank their appetite has improved and they have not spooked so far
    I don't think my discus has grown much but they are very happy and i plan to continue their diet and hopefully now that their numbers has increased they will grow a bit more .
    I will keep reporting their progress .
    cheers
    Sayid
    Hi Sayid. I'm glad to hear that your Discus are settling in well now. I thought that you would only have had them in their group of 4 while in quarantine, then would have placed them in with your other Discus, and the reason l suggested that you add some structure such as timber or your potted plants into the tank to give them some cover. Its well known that Discus like being in larger groups to feel secure and stress free. Your tank is in your main living area like mine is, and the reason l suggest to add a little white washed sand to it as well, and as you know this would also please your wife..... Happy wife...Happy life.
    I look forward to see the progress of these fish, and l am very confident that they still have a lot more growing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by brady View Post
    Joe those fish are beautiful. You mentioned your water being very good. What are its parameters?
    I have well water here in Northern Ct. U.S.A. and just wondering how they compare.
    Again, great job.
    Jay
    Hi Jay. Thanks for your comments. Yes we are very luck to have water that we can use straight out of our taps, and into our tanks. As Sayid pointed out in a previous post our water parameters straight out from the tap are ph7, gh7, kh0, chloroamine 0, and very minimal chlorine. Its very soft, and ph only drops by .2 when aged, which l don't believe is enough to stress out my Discus, and the reason it goes straight into the tank for the tap. As l have also mentioned before l only do 30% water changes, as this does not alter the tank water temperature by more than a few degrees.

So where does your well water come from? Is it collected via your roof? Or is there another source?

Page 10 of 31 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast