AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 11 of 31 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting back into Discus

Registered Member

Default Re: Getting back into Discus

Hi Joe
    My water is from a well 300 ft. deep. It's very close to your water as far as ph, 6.9. My gh is 6, kh-? and no chlorine or chloramine as it is well water.
    Ammonia - 0, nitrites -0 and nitrates < then 5. I also add straight from the tap adjusting for temp. as my water comes out of the ground at 45F.
    Good to hear from you. And, keep up the good work.
    Jay

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Just an update on my tank with the juvenile Blue Diamonds. As they are continuing to grow well, l have reduced the group down to 13.
    The largest of the group is a touch over 3 inches. I hope to download some more picture at some stage.

In the meantime the Spotted Eruptions continue to grow, not only in size, but bulk as well. They are now starting to engage in mouth to mouth combat, and l suppose it wont be long before some signs of pairing up start to show....Fingers crossed!

Some concern l have about this group is their color. I was hoping that their full body would have turned blue by now, but it doesn't seem like its going to happen Any thoughts on that would be appreciated.
    Last edited by two utes; 12-16-2016 at 08:26 PM.
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

Real Name
    Phil

Would love to see pics of your beautes!

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Quote Originally Posted by Phillydubs View Post
    Would love to see pics of your beautes!
    As l mentioned in my previous post here are some photos that l took today of both groups of discus. I managed to pull one of the Blue Diamonds out for a quick measure, and to my surprise it was nudging the 3 1/2 inch mark, which l'm really happy about

1-20161218_101448.jpg

1-20161218_200100.jpg

1-20161218_194735.jpg

1-20161218_195512.jpg

1-20161218_195852.jpg

In the meantime the Spotted Eruptions are only a couple of weeks from being one weak old and l was very tempted today to take one out for a measure up. I'm estimating that the larges one is over the 6 1/2 inch mark, but l will have to verify that at some stage.

1-20161218_203526.jpg

1-20161218_201120.jpg

1-20161218_201342.jpg

1-20161218_202141.jpg

1-20161218_202640.jpg

I went a little crazy with the photos today...... Sorry about that.

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

1-20161218_203526.jpg

1-20161218_202836.jpg

1-20161218_202900.jpg

1-20161218_202922.jpg

1-20161218_203138.jpg

You can see the thickness to them in one of these photos.....

1-20161218_203146.jpg 1-20161218_202743.jpg

And finally a couple more of them using the flash.

1-20161218_201921.jpg

1-20161218_201516.jpg

As l mentioned, the only concern l have about this group is that they haven't colored up fully. Maybe that's still to come? I hope so.

Any input would be greatly appreciated

these look great.

this is one the few new strains that i like, and yours look great.

you did go light on WC, thinking the post feeding vac procedure helped, that is what i did too, i just didn't have time to do all the WC i should have.

Real Name
    Phil

Wow man. Blown away any time I see those spotteds. They just keep getting better. What do you mean when you say colored? Are you expecting more color out of them? It's my feeling with spotted that it's always hard to see any true color cause the spots throw your eye so much

The thickness on those dudes is unreal. Fattys. That one has that mid section of just perfect rows of spots. I can honestly say that I can't recall ever seeing that. I've seen some nude spots and some that make a pattern but that guy looks like a computer printed on him
    Or something. It rather remarkable.

They are quite big for one week old did you mean kne yesr on the spotted? Donyou think you may get another inch from them or are you feeling they have maxed out ?

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Quote Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
    these look great.

this is one the few new strains that i like, and yours look great.

you did go light on WC, thinking the post feeding vac procedure helped, that is what i did too, i just didn't have time to do all the WC i should have.
    Thank you very much Jack.
    The only time l remove the cover glass on the spotted eruptions is when l do a water change every 4 or 5 days. The blue diamonds are getting post feed vacs, and daily water changes, but that may change soon.

Wow man. Blown away any time I see those spotteds. They just keep getting better. What do you mean when you say colored? Are you expecting more color out of them? It's my feeling with spotted that it's always hard to see any true color cause the spots throw your eye so much

The thickness on those dudes is unreal. Fattys. That one has that mid section of just perfect rows of spots. I can honestly say that I can't recall ever seeing that. I've seen some nude spots and some that make a pattern but that guy looks like a computer printed on him
    Or something. It rather remarkable.

They are quite big for one week old did you mean kne yesr on the spotted? Donyou think you may get another inch from them or are you feeling they have maxed out ?

Thanks heaps Phil.
    I'm glad you like my spotted eruptions, and I'm also very keen on some of their spots and markings. What l meant with the colored remark is that their whole body/mid section turn blue like around the dorsal and anal fin. I'm not sure if this is going to happen or not. I suppose they're not fully mature yet, so we will see how they go.

You've seen some 'nude' spots?? Please explain further.

Sorry about the mis print, when l noticed it was to late to go back to correct. Yes, one year old, and l'm hoping they will continue to grow until they start breeding at least....lets hope l get more than an inch

Its been a fun experience getting these guys to where they are at, and l look forward to the next challenge with them.

Thanks for your interest

Real Name
    Phil

Lolol... nude was supposed to be nice. Lol nice spots. My big hands are. I match for this iPhone

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Lolol... nude was supposed to be nice. Lol nice spots. My big hands are. I match for this iPhone
    Easy mistake Phil. Thanks for clarifying that. I was starting to worry about you

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

ONE YEAR OLD TODAY!

I couldn't wait any longer to see how big these discus grew in one year. So l took a few out today for a quick measure up. Sorry about the poor photo quality but it was a stressful moment for me...l think the discus got through it o.k though.

Measurements came up between 6 1/2 inch and a touch over 6 3/4 inches, which l'm real happy about. That's overall length

Hopefully they will grow a little more before they start to spawn

1-d4.jpg1-d1.jpg1-d2.jpg

Real Name
    Phil

Well done man... well done.

Pics look great actually and are clear and spot on. Such a great batch. Got 2 more inches in them

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Sayid

Hi Joe;
    Congratulation mate ,you deserve all the credit for these beautiful fish ,well don ,next time you come to my place we will measure mine ,i am sure you have bitten mine ,happy new year to you and your family .
    see you soon .
    Sayid

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Well done man... well done.

Pics look great actually and are clear and spot on. Such a great batch. Got 2 more inches in them
    Thanks Phil! I hope you're right about the extra 2 inches. That would be AWESOME!!

Quote Originally Posted by sayid View Post
    Hi Joe;
    Congratulation mate ,you deserve all the credit for these beautiful fish ,well don ,next time you come to my place we will measure mine ,i am sure you have bitten mine ,happy new year to you and your family .
    see you soon .
    Sayid
    Thanks Sayid. I just got back home from a four day trip, and went straight to the tank for a look see. I must admit , they look pretty good. You have the same fish, and l'm sure they're looking just as good. I look forward to coming there with my 12 in rule for a measure up, but l have to warn you, its a bit stressful for me, and most possibly you as well.
    Last edited by two utes; 01-02-2017 at 05:01 AM.

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Something fishy going on here.

At just over one year old, my spotted eruptions are showing first signs of pairing with some shimmering going on. Not showing much aggression towards the rest of the group, but l'm sure that will come. It also appears that they are starting to prepare an area on the timber which has been overturned for egg laying.

...Starting to get a little excited

Last edited by two utes; 01-15-2017 at 06:03 AM.

Page 11 of 31 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast