AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 12 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting back into Discus

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Getting back into Discus

Gosh these guys are nice Joe. So large and beefy. Best of luck with the spawning thing.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

Yeah, nice fish.

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Gosh these guys are nice Joe. So large and beefy. Best of luck with the spawning thing.
    Pat
    Thanks Pat. Thinking of putting Barb's cone in there today so that they can start getting use to it. Won't be transferring the pair into my breeding tank until they are a proven pair. I better start looking for a new home for the Blue Diamonds l have in there

Quote Originally Posted by William1 View Post
    Yeah, nice fish.
    Thanks
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Sayid

Hi Joe;
    Congratulation on pairing , they look awesome ,i must try some of your beef heart on mine ,i think you will have some big period of aggression once you get more pairing happening but in the meantime enjoy these beautiful creatures .
    Well done mate on an excellent job .
    p.s when are you coming with Darren to see our fish.
    Sayid

Registered Member

It is good to see someone having such excellent success amidst the usual doom and gloom and crash and burn so prevalent on this forum. Keep up the good work and Bravo!

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Quote Originally Posted by sayid View Post
    Hi Joe;
    i must try some of your beef heart on mine
    p.s when are you coming with Darren to see our fish.
    Sayid
    Thanks Sayid.
    I'm definitely happy with how things are turning out. I think l suggested you try my beefheart that l purchase a while ago. Its called 'Enriched Beefheart' by Aquarium Industries and sold at selected fish stores. I know you make your own mix, but l don't think you're putting enough beef heart in it. I would definitely give this stuff a go. I also make a mix with Darren which we have both run out of, and need to make another batch soon...l call that one XXX
    Keen to come back with Darren some time soon, and will let you know when the time suits us both.

Quote Originally Posted by William1 View Post
    It is good to see someone having such excellent success amidst the usual doom and gloom and crash and burn so prevalent on this forum. Keep up the good work and Bravo!
    Thanks for the thumbs up. Much appreciated.
    I've had my fair share of problems with discus in the past, and have learnt from it. I'm really enjoying seeing the progress of these guys, and hope to learn how to breed them next.
    Last edited by two utes; 01-19-2017 at 12:41 AM.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Rahim

This is now what i call inspiration, this is an amazing transformation. Joe you my new role model! I cant say im not jealous.

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Quote Originally Posted by Arhm View Post
    This is now what i call inspiration, this is an amazing transformation. Joe you my new role model! I cant say im not jealous.
    Thanks Rahim. I'm glad that you are inspired by my discus....l don't know about being a roll model though.
    Please don't be jealous, but do the best you can for your discus and give them the best chance to grow to their full potential, whatever that might be. Keep in mind that my parameters may be a lot different than yours, so work out what will work for you, which is the hardest part.

With my spotted eruptions showing signs of pairing up, l'm going to have to unload my Blue Diamonds that are keeping the breeding tank cycled and ready to go. Sadly, tomorrow l'm taking another 7 of them down to my local fish store, which will leave me with a group of 6 that will stay until l have wrigglers from my eruptions, and a proven pair.
    The largest of the blue diamonds is over the 4 inch mark now and they don't look too bad.

2.jpg

1.jpg

In preparation for having a go at breeding discus, l recently purchased one of Barb's 12 inch breeding cones, which l have now placed temporarily in the main tank so the fish will get use to it when they get transferred into the breeding tank....though they are still showing more interest in the timber. I think they are deliberately knocking it over to gain access to the best part of it to lay eggs on, if that's at all possible.

6.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

The largest of them is at 7 inches now, and taking the last two out of the main tank can't come soon enough, as its starting to get a little crowded again in there.
    I really enjoy sitting at my dinning room table and eyeing them off, and can't be happier with how they have turned out. I only hope that l have as much luck with breeding them as l have had raising them....onto the next chapter

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Sayid

Hi Joe;
    I thought it is time that i put a few photos of the sibling of your spotted eruption in your thread ,for those people who don't know the full story on 10 th October 2016 you very kindly gave me 4 of eruptions to after

I went through some difficult period to get the eruptions to get use to their new tank and for that reason their appetite never went back to the extend of the time they were with Joe but i tried my best to keep them at least healthy ,i am happy to say that they are happy and healthy ,as far as their size Joe has promised to come with his metal ruler and will measure them and send every body the photos .
    I am certain that my eruptions are not as big as Joe's , i also have noticed that two of them have a blueish background tint and the other two have a pinkish tint ,you can see that on my photos .
    Joe i am happy that your blue diamonds are coming good ,can i ask you to put 2 of them away for me i am determined to keep the tradition in tact and look after them for you , as far as pairing is concerned i have not seen any signs yet but i will let every one know when it happens .
    Well Joe congratulation once again and let me know when you are ready to come .
    regards
    Sayid

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Quote Originally Posted by sayid View Post
    i also have noticed that two of them have a blueish background tint and the other two have a pinkish tint ,you can see that on my photos .
    Joe i am happy that your blue diamonds are coming good ,can i ask you to put 2 of them away for me i am determined to keep the tradition in tact and look after them for you , as far as pairing is concerned i have not seen any signs yet but i will let every one know when it happens .
    Well Joe congratulation once again and let me know when you are ready to come .
    regards
    Sayid
    Your spotted eruptions are looking great Sayid. I really like the two you have with minimal spots.Its surprising how much difference the light makes with the colors on the discus. In the photos, which are great by the way, they look yellowish, and nothing like mine. I'm glad you were able to sort out the issues you had, and l can't wait to come see them in person.
    I'll let you know before l unload the remaining Blue Diamonds, and give you first choice of them......there's only six left, but l have kept the best ones.
    Thanks for your kind words.

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

One of my spotted eruptions laid eggs yesterday evening while she was sparing with another discus that would occasional do a pass, but also eat some eggs. I have taken some photos of them both for identification if needed, but at this stage l can only confirm the female. All the eggs had been eaten by this morning. There are another 4 or 5 showing breeding/ pairing behavior. Happy to see this in my take again.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dhaval

holy moly...these guys are beefed up beasts!..good luck with breeding project!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Sayid

Hi Joe;
    Good luck with the breeding ,they have to have a few go at it before they get it right ,my four are still virgins, and there is no signs of any interest what so ever .
    Sayid

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

There's still lots of shaking and shimmering going on in the tank but only the one lot of eggs laid that l know off. I was surprise to find Barb's 12" breeding cone had been knocked over, the other day, which would have taken lots of force.
    While l'm waiting to select a pair to put in the other breeding tank, the Blue Diamonds are continuing to grow nicely, though since there is only 6 left in there, l have noticed how much easier they spook and run for cover behind the sponge filter. Its a pity that they will have to go, as l'm really liking how they are turning out

1-20170225_204720.jpg

1-20170225_203852.jpg

1-20170225_204059.jpg

1-20170225_204423.jpg

1-20170225_204549.jpg

looking great.

as far as knocking over cone, these aren't little tetra are they!

the other day for NO apparent reason they decided to spazz out and aimed up this time, popped open the canopy!

Page 12 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast