ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 18 of 31 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting back into Discus

Real Name
    Zac

Default Re: Getting back into Discus

Ok Joe, shipping to the US may not be viable, but what about to the other Australian hobbyists? Would love to expand my small discus collection sometime.

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Quote Originally Posted by zhuls1 View Post
    Ok Joe, shipping to the US may not be viable, but what about to the other Australian hobbyists? Would love to expand my small discus collection sometime.
    l like everyone's confidence and enthusiasm, but i'm just happy to have a proven pair at this stage....baby steps
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

Real Name
    Zac

Quote Originally Posted by two utes View Post
    l like everyone's confidence and enthusiasm, but i'm just happy to have a proven pair at this stage....baby steps
    Come on Joe, We all know what comes after wrigglers, world class show discus Seriously though, i'm sure your not too far off raising some of your own fry. And when that does happen, if you dont mind shipping I would be interested in buying a group off you. I know another local hobbyist who might be interested too.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Sayid

Come on Joe, We all know what comes after wrigglers, world class show discus Seriously though, i'm sure your not too far off raising some of your own fry. And when that does happen, if you dont mind shipping I would be interested in buying a group off you. I know another local hobbyist who might be interested too.
    Hi Joe ;
    You might be looking towards a very promising career change ,LOL.......!

What a thrill to finally have seen life after egg! Your patience has paid off. 😁Hopefully they will learn to not eat their children for dinner and you can watch the amazing spectacle of their care taking.

They are gorgeous fish. Good luck in the next stages. Obviously the young will be highly sought after once the word is out. Love your pics. Hope to see some with fry attached next.

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Quote Originally Posted by sayid View Post
    Hi Joe ;
    You might be looking towards a very promising career change ,LOL.......!
    The only career change i would consider at this point is retiring in a seaside town enjoying my passion for fishing...breeding discus commercially just seems like hard work to me Sayid....its not going to happen!
    ...in the meantime this was me yesterday at Westernport where i caught this 8kg Snapper.

I think the smile says it all.

20171110_103404_resized.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Jenene View Post
    What a thrill to finally have seen life after egg! Your patience has paid off. ��Hopefully they will learn to not eat their children for dinner and you can watch the amazing spectacle of their care taking.

They are gorgeous fish. Good luck in the next stages. Obviously the young will be highly sought after once the word is out. Love your pics. Hope to see some with fry attached next.

Thanks Jenene. It truly is an amazing spectacal which i am enjoying immensely. Seeing fry attached to parents is what l'm looking forward to next....baby steps
    Last edited by two utes; 11-10-2017 at 05:05 PM.

Real Name
    Zac

Hows the fry going? Please update with pics!

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

[QUOTE=two utes;1276559]
    I've had these two have 5 or 6 goes at producing wrigglers, and was about to give up on them. They laid another batch of eggs last Friday evening, and I left home for a four day trip on Saturday.
    I was very excited when i returned home today to find a dozen or so wrigglers still attached to the cone. They have since disappeared but I'm really happy and excited to know that they are a proven pair, and that i now have something to work with....the fun begins.

Hows the fry going? Please update with pics!

Hi Zac. I really appreciate your interest and enthusiasm towards my fry....shipping them and so forth, but you may have missed the fact that they got eaten soon after they hatched. I'm not one for counting the chickens before they hatch, but you can count on me to post updates of anything worth noting about this pair or the rest of the group for that matter.

Soon after the fry got eaten, and due to some neglect on my part, i had a crash in the breeder tank which caused high levels of ammonia. I have since fixed that and only hope that this now proven pair will continue on and give me more opportunities to learn about breeding.

This thread is about sharing my personnel experiences with my once again discus journey, and also a journal for me to look back on. I still enjoy looking back at my older threads in particular when i took part in the 'first discus challenge'. Lots of lessons have been learnt from them, and hope that it has also added to the vast amount of good information on here.

I'm really looking forward to posting about my next batch of fry, if and when it happens....being very patient

Thanks again.
    Last edited by two utes; 11-18-2017 at 04:38 PM.

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

I was truly surprised to see how well this now proven pair bounced back after the crash...for a minute i really though that i was going to loose them. They are not as delicate as i first though.
    They layed another clutch of eggs, probably the biggest one thus far. l was eager to see if these ones would also hatch and how long they will last. Its been two days since they did actually hatch and now awaiting for them to free swim and attach to parents.
    This will be the furthest that l have ever gotten with fry, and enjoying every minute.

More pics to come if they last...wish me luck

1-2017-12-06 19.18.33_1512958865074.jpg

1-uuu.JPG

1-ddd.JPG

1-2017-12-11 13.16.50_1512958864435.jpg

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Sayid

Hi Joe;
    I was so excited when i got the news of the second batch of eggs ,i guess its a learning curve for all of us as well as the mum and dad hopefully it will results in a few cute babies .
    I keep my fingers crossed for you.

Joe, it's so good to see things finally moving along. Hoping the parents continue to amaze you with their great instinctual care. It really is incredible to watch. I hope with continued success you can share some more photos of their progress. It must be very rewarding to see how far this gorgeous pair has come in your care. Now creating a entirely new generation. Enjoy them!
    "You can't trust water: Even a straight stick turns crooked in it." -W.C.Fields

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Quote Originally Posted by sayid View Post
    Hi Joe;
    I was so excited when i got the news of the second batch of eggs ,i guess its a learning curve for all of us as well as the mum and dad hopefully it will results in a few cute babies .
    I keep my fingers crossed for you.
    Thanks Sayid. Definitely is a learning curve for me and one that i am enjoying immensely

Quote Originally Posted by Jenene View Post
    Joe, it's so good to see things finally moving along. Hoping the parents continue to amaze you with their great instinctual care. It really is incredible to watch. I hope with continued success you can share some more photos of their progress. It must be very rewarding to see how far this gorgeous pair has come in your care. Now creating a entirely new generation. Enjoy them!
    Thanks Jenene. I'm amazed by nature all the time, but to actually have this wonder happen in my home is definitely an eye opening experience for me, and look forward to what's to come.

So its been 9 days, and i have approx' 50 fry that have now attached to both sides of each parent. They had been free swimming around the whole tank from the time they detached from the cone, but i did notice lots of slime floating around the tank and clusters of fry on that. Is that normal?

I am doing 30% water changes every 3 days, but will increase that to every two days since im introducing frozen newly hatched brine shrimp twice a day to slowly ween them off the parents. I intend to leave them in this breeder tank for as long as possible but have come to realize that i need another tank, probably a 4 footer to raise them in....it always starts with just one tank...doesn't it Pat?

Here are some photos of them attached to parents and hope to add some more along the way.

e.jpga.jpgb.jpgc.jpgd.jpg

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

If you are talking to me Joe

..it always starts with just one tank...doesn't it Pat?
    Indeed it does lol.

Fantastic news on the fry Joe. I am so happy for you
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Quote Originally Posted by two utes View Post
    Thanks Sayid. Definitely is a learning curve for me and one that i am enjoying immensely

Thanks Jenene. I'm amazed by nature all the time, but to actually have this wonder happen in my home is definitely an eye opening experience for me, and look forward to what's to come.

So its been 9 days, and i have approx' 50 fry that have now attached to both sides of each parent. They had been free swimming around the whole tank from the time they detached from the cone, but i did notice lots of slime floating around the tank and clusters of fry on that. Is that normal?

I am doing 30% water changes every 3 days, but will increase that to every two days since im introducing frozen newly hatched brine shrimp twice a day to slowly ween them off the parents. I intend to leave them in this breeder tank for as long as possible but have come to realize that i need another tank, probably a 4 footer to raise them in....it always starts with just one tank...doesn't it Pat?

Here are some photos of them attached to parents and hope to add some more along the way.

e.jpga.jpgb.jpgc.jpgd.jpg
    Nature is truly amazing... I know we hear about these fry and see photos but experiencing them in person must be incredible. There surely is an excitement about getting that first look at them every morning. I know they change and grow so quickly that it’s probably noticeable even in a short time.
    I am thinking this is an experience that brings you into an entirely new level of discus keeping. A natural progression from raising batches purchased from others to seeing them from egg to adult in your own home. This is something you will always remember. Even if something sadly interrupts this batch, you have attained something many of us will never experience. Well we tell ourselves to never say never...
    Enjoy them Joe, for everything they have to teach you and the knowledge you gain from helping them thrive. Keep us up to date... It’s truly amazing to see....
    "You can't trust water: Even a straight stick turns crooked in it." -W.C.Fields

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

I think CONGRATS are in order. Really happy for you that all the effort is paying off. Bravo!

Page 18 of 31 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast