AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 21 of 31 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting back into Discus

Default Re: Getting back into Discus

It’s a gorgeous group Joe. The recipient of those amazing fish is very lucky to have found them. My hope for them is that they will continue to thrive in their new home as they have under your care.
    Meanwhile, we are all really lucky to watch you nurture a new group along. Show us how it’s done Joe. This is going to be fun. (~;

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Quote Originally Posted by Jenene View Post
    It’s a gorgeous group Joe. The recipient of those amazing fish is very lucky to have found them. My hope for them is that they will continue to thrive in their new home as they have under your care.
    Meanwhile, we are all really lucky to watch you nurture a new group along. Show us how it’s done Joe. This is going to be fun. (~;
    Thanks Jenene. Yes it is going to be fun. I really enjoy watching juveniles grow and develop. I think i'll be raising this batch the same way i did their parents.

So speaking about their parents, I took some pictures of them this morning while i was acclimatizing the new batch for their new home. You can see them in the background in one of the pics. I did a quick measure of one and is approx' 2 1/2 inch (38mm) overall length.

Ill take a tank group shot once in a while and post it up on here.

1-20180402_202434-001.jpg

1-20180403_081127.jpg

1-20180403_081524.jpg

1-20180403_081621.jpg

1-20180403_082219.jpg

1-20180403_083424.jpg

1-20180403_084502.jpg

1-20180403_084844.jpg
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

Real Name
    Filip

I can imagine it was very hard for you to give away those champs Joe , but I guess that's what this hobby is all about , constantly setting new goals and accepting new challenges just for the fun of it .
    You've done a wise decision keeping that pair too.
    Even if you don't raise fry from them anymore , it would be pure pleasure just to set a 30 G display tank for them , sit back and just enjoy their beauty .

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Quote Originally Posted by Filip View Post
    I can imagine it was very hard for you to give away those champs Joe , but I guess that's what this hobby is all about , constantly setting new goals and accepting new challenges just for the fun of it .
    You've done a wise decision keeping that pair too.
    Even if you don't raise fry from them anymore , it would be pure pleasure just to set a 30 G display tank for them , sit back and just enjoy their beauty .
    Thanks Filip
    Your comment are always appreciated. I'm really glad i kept the pair, but i'm trying hard not to set up any more tanks

The juveniles in the main tank have settled and allowed me to capture some pics. It's interesting seeing different variations in their color and patterns and will be watch closely. Eventually only 8 fish will remain once they get bigger, so it will be interesting to see which ones will remain.

1-20180403_195235_1522828906483_resized.jpg

1-20180403_195128_1522828913394_resized.jpg

1-20180403_195149_1522828910513_resized.jpg

1-20180403_195204_1522828909310_resized.jpg

1-20180403_195232_1522828907900_resized.jpg

Registered Member Darren's Discus's Avatar

Beautiful Joe,
    If you get any spares I certainly wouldn't mind some of those beauties!!!!
    Cheers
    Darren Burgess
    Townsville Queensland Australia
    townsvillerocks@gmail.com

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Quote Originally Posted by Darren's Discus View Post
    Beautiful Joe,
    If you get any spares I certainly wouldn't mind some of those beauties!!!!
    Cheers
    Hi Darren. Through the first Simply Discus Challenge, which you donated fish for the Australian leg of it, i learnt alot about raising juvenile discus and therefor wish to thank you. You were also very kind to allow me into your fish room and got me even more interested. I do have some Juvenile discus which you are most welcome to have, but my only problem is getting them to you. I don't suppose you're going to be down my way some time soon?

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

It surprises me how much difference four weeks make in the development of these little guys. They continue to receive feeds of beef heart in the morning and evening, dried pellets and freeze dried black worms during the day. Water changes of 30% every four days or so are keeping them happy, and they are devouring their food.

I noticed that not all are snakeskin, and even the ones that are, showing much more variation than the previous group which included their parents.

They are well over the 3 inch mark and at some point i will remove four. I'm hoping i can keep a variation as i'm very curious to see how they turn out.

As hard as it was removing the previous group from this tank, i'm really enjoying watching these guy swimming around in their school...somewhat regal

ai.jpgaa.jpgab.jpgad.jpgae.jpgaf.jpgag.jpgah.jpg

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Beautiful Joe...so all these juvies are from the parent group pictured? Or did I miss something ;P

aussie ausie aussie!!

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Hi Joe, beautiful, you do have a nice variety in the group. Even an almost solid?? Looking forward to seeing you at the NADA show. Should be fun!!
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    Beautiful Joe...so all these juvies are from the parent group pictured? Or did I miss something ;P

aussie ausie aussie!!
    Hi Dan. These juvies are from parents that were in the final group of eight i raised nearly two and a half years ago.... Haha! Get with the programme mate!
    You'll have to go to the very start of the thread to see them. My goal is to go full circle and have their grand children in this main tank...l'm halfway there

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Hi Joe, beautiful, you do have a nice variety in the group. Even an almost solid?? Looking forward to seeing you at the NADA show. Should be fun!!
    Pat
    Thanks Pat. I'm also looking forward to the NADA show, and to meet you and all the other fine people from here....between you and me, i have another tank on stand by..... I know

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by two utes View Post
    Thanks Pat. I'm also looking forward to the NADA show, and to meet you and all the other fine people from here....between you and me, i have another tank on stand by..... I know
    Not surprised Joe lol
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

They are really stunning Joe. You’ve done a fantastic job documenting this journey. Doesn’t seem that long ago you were practicing much patience waiting for a pair to form. From that point on you made it look so easy. Though just like an athlete skilled at his game who makes the moves flawlessly, we all know the hard work that goes on behind the scenes.

Nicely done. Looking forward to seeing some of these patterns as they form. That was unexpected. Looks like you’ve got some beautiful “frankenfish” coming along in there.

Waiting patiently for the next chapter. Thanks for lettIng us tag along. (-;

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Sayid

These are stunning fish you have raised but i have never seen so many different variation from one pair and the thing is that we don't know how they will change their colour or pattern later on , definitely some thing to look forward to !

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by two utes View Post
    Hi Dan. These juvies are from parents that were in the final group of eight i raised nearly two and a half years ago.... Haha! Get with the programme mate!
    You'll have to go to the very start of the thread to see them. My goal is to go full circle and have their grand children in this main tank...l'm halfway there
    That's awesome mate...well done...yea, I have a bit of catching up to that's for sure...I am working my 5th 12 hour night in 6 days atm, 6th tomorrow night then 5 nights off. Plan on working through this thread for sure. I too am amazed at the pattern variation in the fry from your pair of eruptions...is that usual? I guess my wife, black hair, and me, brown, had 2 red headed boys because the genes were there on both sides...same sort of situation I guess hey? I would like to understand the genetic lingo at some point, but first I have to get my discus in the house!

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Quote Originally Posted by Jenene View Post
    They are really stunning Joe. You’ve done a fantastic job documenting this journey. Doesn’t seem that long ago you were practicing much patience waiting for a pair to form. From that point on you made it look so easy. Though just like an athlete skilled at his game who makes the moves flawlessly, we all know the hard work that goes on behind the scenes.

Nicely done. Looking forward to seeing some of these patterns as they form. That was unexpected. Looks like you’ve got some beautiful “frankenfish” coming along in there.

Waiting patiently for the next chapter. Thanks for lettIng us tag along. (-;
    Thanks Jenene. I must say that i too enjoy going back through this thread and looking at the progress of the different groups I've raised. I would highly recommend others doing the same, and starting journals with the possibility of helping others along their way...Not sure about comparing myself with a skilled athlete, but it is a nice thought though

Quote Originally Posted by sayid View Post
    These are stunning fish you have raised but i have never seen so many different variation from one pair and the thing is that we don't know how they will change their colour or pattern later on , definitely some thing to look forward to !
    Hi Sayid. Lets just hope that they turn out as good as the last group. I'm liking some of the variations and will keep them for awhile longer to see how they turn out, but i really do love the Penang Spotted Eruption strain and the final eight will most probably be the best of that strain from the group as to not to vary in any way...only time will tell my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    That's awesome mate...well done...yea, I have a bit of catching up to that's for sure...I am working my 5th 12 hour night in 6 days atm, 6th tomorrow night then 5 nights off. Plan on working through this thread for sure. I too am amazed at the pattern variation in the fry from your pair of eruptions...is that usual? I guess my wife, black hair, and me, brown, had 2 red headed boys because the genes were there on both sides...same sort of situation I guess hey? I would like to understand the genetic lingo at some point, but first I have to get my discus in the house!
    Hi Dan....You work 6 consecutive 12hr shifts? HAHAHA....I'm pretty sure that's illegal in Australia, though we have been known as 'The Lucky County'. Seriously though, I'm not at all surprised with the variations, and use to come across it lots when breeding Australian Finches and Budgerigars many years ago. I cant see fish being any different. Like you, i would also love to understand genetics better, and this is where people in the know breed the best of the best. Enjoy reading through my thread, and hope you can apply some of my methods when raising your group.

Thanks for everyone's interest

Page 21 of 31 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast