ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 22 of 31 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting back into Discus

Default Re: Getting back into Discus

Joe- It's been a joy reading through this thread. Truly inspiring. I look forward to it's continuation!

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Quote Originally Posted by BillyTRichVa View Post
    Joe- It's been a joy reading through this thread. Truly inspiring. I look forward to it's continuation!
    Thanks Billy. Glad you enjoyed it
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

G'day Joe. Great thread mate. Prob the most comprehensive thread over a prolonged time period that I have ever had the pleasure to peruse. Nice work! Stunning fish too, WOW!

Registered Member Darren's Discus's Avatar

Looking Awesome Joe, Keep up the great work.
    Darren Burgess
    Townsville Queensland Australia
    townsvillerocks@gmail.com

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    G'day Joe. Great thread mate. Prob the most comprehensive thread over a prolonged time period that I have ever had the pleasure to peruse. Nice work! Stunning fish too, WOW!
    Thanks Dan.

Quote Originally Posted by Darren's Discus View Post
    Looking Awesome Joe, Keep up the great work.
    Thanks Darren.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Shannon

Hi Jo.
    Been going through your thread. You have done an amazing job. Been lurking on here for about four months. Had tropical fish since I was about 14 now pushing 50. But never had dicus Sold my 6ft tank and accessories about 6 years ago as I was moving around a bit. Bought a 3ft Juwel vision in January and bought some discus. A month later sold that realised I needed a bigger one and got a 4 ft juwel. Now I’m after a 5ft and that is the max I can go with the space that I have. Currently I have 8 discus about 4 to 5 inch with neon’s and 6 bristlenose and some rummy nose tetras. Oh and 3 whiptails that wont stop laying eggs have to males one female and both the males are on eggs at the moment and a 2ft tank full of fry at different sizes. And the same with the Discus have had a few batches of eggs but at the start not getting fertilised and getting eaten. The male has started to get his act together with fertilising. Well spotted some tonight on the Amazon sword and put the eggs in a separate tank. Will see how that pans out. Might have get a setup in the bathroom as well if they hatch.The wife is not happy. Sorry for the long post should of posted it in the tell us about yourself.
    And you didn’t happen to have some advertised on Gumtree the other week did you? Had some on there very similar to yours

Discus
    Leopard Snakeskin
    checkerboard pigeon x2
    Tiger Turquoise
    Blue Scorpion
    Star Turquoise
    2 others can’t remember their names

Cheers
    Shannon

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Quote Originally Posted by Clarkie_59 View Post
    Hi Jo.
    Been going through your thread. You have done an amazing job. Been lurking on here for about four months. Had tropical fish since I was about 14 now pushing 50. But never had dicus Sold my 6ft tank and accessories about 6 years ago as I was moving around a bit. Bought a 3ft Juwel vision in January and bought some discus. A month later sold that realised I needed a bigger one and got a 4 ft juwel. Now I’m after a 5ft and that is the max I can go with the space that I have. Currently I have 8 discus about 4 to 5 inch with neon’s and 6 bristlenose and some rummy nose tetras. Oh and 3 whiptails that wont stop laying eggs have to males one female and both the males are on eggs at the moment and a 2ft tank full of fry at different sizes. And the same with the Discus have had a few batches of eggs but at the start not getting fertilised and getting eaten. The male has started to get his act together with fertilising. Well spotted some tonight on the Amazon sword and put the eggs in a separate tank. Will see how that pans out. Might have get a setup in the bathroom as well if they hatch.The wife is not happy. Sorry for the long post should of posted it in the tell us about yourself.
    And you didn’t happen to have some advertised on Gumtree the other week did you? Had some on there very similar to yours

Discus
    Leopard Snakeskin
    checkerboard pigeon x2
    Tiger Turquoise
    Blue Scorpion
    Star Turquoise
    2 others can’t remember their names

Cheers
    Shannon
    Hi Shannon.
    First of all welcome to the forum. Its great seeing another member from Melbourne on here.
    As i am sure you've seen, its a great place to come and learn about discus and methods for keeping them. There are different levels of fish keepers here and tons of knowledge which i am sure, like me, will learn lots about what will aid in keeping your fish in prime condition. We are very lucky to have perfect water for discus in Melbourne which makes keeping them a little easier for us. That doesn't mean that you can neglect needed water changes.
    It sounds that you are well on your way, and setting up another tank in you bathroom, like i did, may get you on the way to successfully breed and rear some juvenile discus. My wife was not impressed either at the start, but was amazed at how discus rear their young. Because of the process i went through i did end up having to make some tough decisions and sell, on Gum tree, my adult fish to make room for the current batch i am raising, and also a little time latter some of the juveniles which were starting to overgrow the grow out tank for raising them...i know another tank. I went from 1 to 3 with another on standby very quickly.I will sell another small batch once the main group start overcrowding, and slowly thin the group out to 8
    All i can say is that this is my hobby of choice and enjoy while i'm home, and have another passion for fishing which gets me out and about. I'm actually off to Portland over the queens birthday weekend chasing Tuna.

Do introduce yourself in the beginners section, and take part in some of the activities on here. I have been very fortunate and have gained lots form here, and that's not only in prizes either. I have gained lots of knowledge and gained confidence to keep discus, and not to mention some friends along the way.

There are lots of good people on here which forms a terrific community.

Good luck on which ever way you choose to go with your hobby...don't forget to post some pics of your tank...we all enjoy seeing that on here.
    Last edited by two utes; 06-07-2018 at 05:38 PM.

Registered Member

Fantastic !!

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Quote Originally Posted by megatrev62 View Post
    Fantastic !!
    Thank you

The group i'm raising in my main tank are around 9 months old now and nowhere near as chunky as the previous group i raised in there. With less feeds and water changes that does not surprise me one bit, and i will have to lift my game while i still have the opportunity to put some size on them.

Im very surprised with the variety i have from the same batch, but my ultimate goal was to end up with another proven pair of Spotted Eruption snake skins.

I've decided to take 6 out from the tank today. The first 2 will be easy as i don't like their shape nor are they snakes skins. The other 4 will be a little more difficult as i'm curious to see how the colors and patterns turn out.

Here's some pictures i took last night in the dark will still trying to decide which should go.

1-20180901_190411.jpg

1-20180901_190448.jpg

1-20180901_183559.jpg

1-20180901_183625.jpg

1-20180901_183657.jpg

1-20180901_183800.jpg

1-20180901_184013.jpg

1-20180901_184019.jpg

1-20180901_184923.jpg

1-20180901_185704.jpg

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Sayid

Hi Joe;
    I think you have done an excellent job raising this lot after all this is your first pair of discus which laid eggs and eventually baby fish ,some time we expect too much ourselves ,BTW the third photo from the top ,it looks like a solid marlboro red , keep up the wonderful job you are doing.

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

Is your goal to eventually get them to breed true (as well as good looking, but for that you are already there!)?

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Quote Originally Posted by sayid View Post
    Hi Joe;
    I think you have done an excellent job raising this lot after all this is your first pair of discus which laid eggs and eventually baby fish ,some time we expect too much ourselves ,BTW the third photo from the top ,it looks like a solid marlboro red , keep up the wonderful job you are doing.
    Thanks Sayid.
    I know what needs to be done to raise beefy fish, but i feel that i haven't given this group the same attention i gave the last lot. Its o.k though, as i have been busy with other things, and i think they are still in satisfactory condition to go onto the next phase of my project. Not quit a red but looks solid. Will be interesting to see further development on this one. Thanks for your interest as always

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sabucchi View Post
    Is your goal to eventually get them to breed true (as well as good looking, but for that you are already there!)?
    Hi Paul. Not my intention, but my local breeder's for sure. Since he passed on my group more than a couple of years ago now, he was unable to maintain this strain in his fish room. He will be taking some of these spotted eruptions to raise and breed, and extend his range.

My goal is just to have a nice group of Spotted Erruption Snake skins in my tank. The grand children of the ones i started with more than two years ago. Only then would i believe that i have gone full circle having bred from my own batch of fish, and not that someone else bred for me. Does that make sense?

I'll enjoy them for as long as i can, and then may change to another strain, if they spark my interest.

Thanks for your comment Paul. I think some of them have good potential...i just hope that they are the ones that pair off and do their thing.

Thanks for your interest guys

Real Name
    Filip

They look like they will grow out to be just like their parents Joe .

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Quote Originally Posted by Filip View Post
    They look like they will grow out to be just like their parents Joe .
    Thanks Filip. That's what I'm hoping. I take it your group is doing well?

Registered Member

Just spent 45 min going through this thread.
    You did an absolutely wonderful job raising those discus! Both the spotted and the blues.. Your really good... Some very good tips I picked up as well. So thanks for that.

Page 22 of 31 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast