AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 29 of 31 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 LastLast

Thread: Getting back into Discus

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Default Re: Getting back into Discus

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    Bloody stunning mate! Such majestic, beefy & beautiful fish. If I ever move home I'll be stopping by for a coldie and a squiz
    Thanks Dan. I certainly do like how they turned out, but i do see faults that without them would certainly make them better. Always a cold one in the fridge mate

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny95132 View Post
    Could I know which vendor you purchased your fish from? That red/ halo is really stunning to behold.
    The ones pictured are my home bred group who's parents were purchased as small juveniles from a local breed who in turn acquired them from (AI) Aquarium Industries who import fish from all over the world and distribute them throughout Australia. I was led to believe that the fish i have originated from Forest.
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by two utes View Post
    Thanks Dan. I certainly do like how they turned out, but i do see faults that without them would certainly make them better. Always a cold one in the fridge mate

The ones pictured are my home bred group who's parents were purchased as small juveniles from a local breed who in turn acquired them from (AI) Aquarium Industries who import fish from all over the world and distribute them throughout Australia. I was led to believe that the fish i have originated from Forest.
    If so then in my opinion Forrest exports are among Malaysia's finest. All of my fish came from Forrest via Kenny's Discus. All, with the exception of one, which may be stunted but it is very nice regardless, are high quality fish both in size and shape. Your home bred are exceptional fish, however.

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Thanks Norm

So after many failed attempts with the proven pair in the breeder tank, i decided to put them back in the main tank and give another female and prospective male a shot at helping me fulfill my goal. It only took them a couple of weeks to settle, and i watched the female lay eggs and the potential male pass over them yesterday afternoon. They are still guarding and fanning the eggs this morning and only a couple of the eggs have turned white so far.
    I'm not expecting much from them in their first attempt, but i will give them a good chance. At least they are giving me some hope.
    Last edited by two utes; 10-07-2020 at 08:04 PM. Reason: added

It’s been an incredible journey so far Joe. The last batch turned out incredibly beautiful. Fingers crossed that either these hatch and grow out or they get it right soon. I’ll be watching from here. You’ve got us all on the edge of our seats.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by two utes View Post
    Thanks Norm

So after many failed attempts with the proven pair in the breeder tank, i decided to put them back in the main tank and give another female and prospective male a shot at helping me fulfill my goal. It only took them a couple of weeks to settle, and i watched the female lay eggs and the potential male pass over them yesterday afternoon. They are still guarding and fanning the eggs this morning and only a couple of the eggs have turned white so far.
    I'm not expecting much from them in their first attempt, but i will give them a good chance. At least they are giving me some hope.
    Seems like you are half way there already. Were the fish utes or are they older fish?

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Fins crossed Joe. You've been so patient & consistent with your project. I am certain with those qualities your goals will he fulfilled! Good work mate

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Quote Originally Posted by Jenene View Post
    It’s been an incredible journey so far Joe. The last batch turned out incredibly beautiful. Fingers crossed that either these hatch and grow out or they get it right soon. I’ll be watching from here. You’ve got us all on the edge of our seats.
    Thanks for the encouraging words Jenene. That last batch was way to far back now, and l'm certainly looking forward to the next one....Maybe not this one but hopefully not too far away.

Fins crossed Joe. You've been so patient & consistent with your project. I am certain with those qualities your goals will he fulfilled! Good work mate
    Thanks Dan. At this point i need all the help i can get....one thing for sure, l do have patients on my side.

The batch isn't looking to healthy this morning, with many more white eggs, and lots missing....there are still a few hanging in there though, and all i need to see at this point is one fertile egg. I will give them a few more shots at it if i need to, and then consider another swap. Maybe the proven male i have from my last attempt?

Real Name
    Daniel

Sounds like a good plan Joe. Get em son!!

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Ive been waiting for the tank light to come on this morning so i can check on the remaining eggs, and the first thing i noticed is that they have hatched!

About 30 odd little tails beating away, and with the now proven male by their side. I'm surprised that there is still a reasonably good amount, as they were hard to see on the back end of the cone where they always seem to lay for privacy.

I know its still early stages, but I'm happy to have another proven pair to work with. Maybe these will help me achieve my goal of having a nice group of discus in my main tank who's parents were bred by me.

Once i have an opportunity I'll try and snap some pictures of the new pair.

Real Name
    Daniel

Bloody marv mate!!

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Bloody marv mate!!
    Thanks Dan!

It didn't take long for the parents to transfer the newly hatch fry from the cone to another area being one of the sponge filters.
    I think l may have underestimated the quantity of fry hatch....looks more like 60 rather than 30 like l stated previously. What do you all think??

I'm looking forward to seeing them free swim, and then hopefully attachment, unless things go pear shaped off coarse...Fingers crossed that all goes well.

Just a couple of quick snaps and a short video.

121051231_642992393073928_197075654291843645_n.jpg120913450_2502129830080410_3635282336954535881_n.jpg

Real Name
    Daniel

I agree fully mate, I'd guestimate minimally 60, but I reckon closer to 80. That's fantastic!

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Both parents are taking turns tending to their new spawn.

They've had eggs eaten many times by their siblings in the confinement of the main tank, so its good to see them tending to them and progress to the next stage. They've actually shifted the fry from the rear of the sponge filter to the front which makes them easier to see and enjoy now. I did a small water change yesterday to vacuum waste and uneaten food, and in the processes reduced the volume of water in their tank by a third. Its 12 inches deep now which brings it in line with Barb's cone. They also have a night light so i think everything is in order for now.

I'm looking forward to seeing them go free swimming and eventually attach, but i just cant help thinking of all the things that could go wrong, like so many times with the previous pair.

Im really enjoying this spectacle once again, it truly is amazing to watch......Some more pictures of the parents and fry, with the larger fish being the male.

f6.jpgf1.jpgf2.jpgf3.jpgf5.jpg
    Last edited by two utes; 10-11-2020 at 04:44 PM.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Beautiful pair Joe and congrats on the wigglers. Hope all goes well from here.

I am awaiting the second spawn from the F1 Cuipeua pair. Could be today!
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Beautiful pair Joe and congrats on the wigglers. Hope all goes well from here.

I am awaiting the second spawn from the F1 Cuipeua pair. Could be today!
    Pat
    Thanks Pat. Hope all goes well with your pair to

Page 29 of 31 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 LastLast