AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Normal peppering or issue/fungus?

Registered Member

Default Normal peppering or issue/fungus?

I am brand new to discus and have had my 5 new red pigeon blood discus (about 3.5") a few weeks now in a grow out/quarantine tank a 40 breeder. Recommended qt setup with just an air bubbler and heater. Feeding multiple times a day with appx 70-80% water changes daily. I noticed a couple were showing some black marks near the bottom fin. I think it might be peppering but it wasn't quite what I had seen in pics and there is no dark markings that should cause it (except the bubbler maybe?). Any thoughts, is it possibly a fungus? They are all active and eating like piranhas, literally from my hand.

Real Name
    Christopher G

Default Re: Normal peppering or issue/fungus?

Peppering is normal in pigeon discus

Registered Member

Inigo all mine pigeon, fire, marlo red discuses had peppering too! so it's normal? will it go away once it became adult?

I have several kinds of pigeon bloods and their fins often become darker on the bottom and top fins. No worries. They look great. Rufus

Registered Member

Thanks for the responses, expected some minor peppering as par for the course with pigeon blood though I am trying to minimize with a light environment. Just didn't look like normal peppering I had seen so glad to hear that's all it is!
    Last edited by inigomontoya; 04-01-2015 at 11:17 AM.

Nice looking healthy fish! Peppering, darkening, etc. normal in Pigeon Blood strain. Some types more than others.

Registered Member

Not having lots of exposure I can spot obvious issues but good to know they look good overall. Here's the full crew, very social, they break the water to get my attention when near the tank

Real Name
    Julian

Good looking fish, no worries, also they have more of a dark coloration in their fins, no so much of the peppering.
    which it will express mostly by spots on their front head or crown. yours are actually very clean.
    keep your bottom of that color you have now, nothing dark and you will be fine.