ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: First Discus tank finally (180g community w/40g B refugium)

Registered Member

Default Re: First Discus tank finally (180g community w/40g B refugium)

Just bought me some Discus

https://youtu.be/0fb4PEQSANg

I will be adding more but these are all the ones Dave had at AngelfishUSA.com that were 4 to 4.5 inches. I will be adding more once he gets more from Tony Tan in about a month from now and just have to make sure the ones I get are the same size.

Real Name
    Filip

Knucklez i just saw this tread and havent time to go through it all , but from the pics and videos posted all i can say is that you got a supercool planted scape for your discus .
    Wood is great looking and combined perfectly with the stones and plants as well .

You got 9 discus with your name on them so far . How much more are you planning to buy .
    Try to understock it a little since this is a planted set up and a huge Water volume for big and frequent Wcs .

Good luck with discus and do send us some more pics and vids. after your vacation .

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Filip View Post
    Knucklez i just saw this tread and havent time to go through it all , but from the pics and videos posted all i can say is that you got a supercool planted scape for your discus .
    Wood is great looking and combined perfectly with the stones and plants as well .

You got 9 discus with your name on them so far . How much more are you planning to buy .
    Try to understock it a little since this is a planted set up and a huge Water volume for big and frequent Wcs .

Good luck with discus and do send us some more pics and vids. after your vacation .
    Thanks you for the kind words like I said before I have had this vision for so long and it's truly amazing to be able to make a dream possible, as well as to share the experience with the community.

I plan on getting another 6 or 4 to grow out in a 100g and keep the 12 or 10 of my favorite and "sell the others".

Registered Member

They are finally home and eating! I can't wait till Dave at angelfish USA get more in so I can get a few more around this same size!

Real Name
    Ricardo

Remember, if you get more, you would need to quarantine. This is why I always recommend to get all your discus at the same time
    Last edited by Filip; 02-16-2017 at 09:13 AM.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    Remember, if you get more, you would need to quarantine. This is why I always recommend to get all your discus at the same time
    Yup I will just that Dave didn't have anymore at or around 4" to 4.5" and I wanted to take advantage of his 20% off which he still has going on now.

Real Name
    Filip

Great looking rainbow collection Knucklez. They already seem very well adjusted and comfortable in your pristine water .

Registered Member

Great looking rainbow collection Knucklez. They already seem very well adjusted and comfortable in your pristine water .
    Thank you!

Woke up today to a surprise!!!

All the other discus are still in there as well. I don't know if I should move them out to another small tank but I don't have much room at the moment for other tanks or go buy that white ceiling eggcrate to separate them on this side of the tank?

What should I do since this is my grow out tank?

Real Name
    Ricardo

No need to do anything really. Do you want to pursue breeding? Those eggs are not viable and it looks like a lot of them, so 2 females may have laid. I'd just let nature take its course here.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    No need to do anything really. Do you want to pursue breeding? Those eggs are not viable and it looks like a lot of them, so 2 females may have laid. I'd just let nature take its course here.
    I mean if they are going to breed I'll try to help out the situation as much as I can but don't have a lot of space to have them breed at the moment I might just wait and see what happens and if they actually make it to free swinging then I'll try to divide the tank. I am curious to see what those fry will look like if it is a pair.

great looking tank and discus.
    Eric M

Real Name
    Filip

Quote Originally Posted by I305I Knucklez View Post
    I mean if they are going to breed I'll try to help out the situation as much as I can but don't have a lot of space to have them breed at the moment I might just wait and see what happens and if they actually make it to free swinging then I'll try to divide the tank. I am curious to see what those fry will look like if it is a pair.
    You will need 5 months of daily maintenance , a ton of WCs , 3-4 feedings a day, a 40g. Tank and a lot more to see how will they look Knuckles .
    Last edited by Filip; 03-24-2017 at 05:32 AM.

Registered Member

Default Re: First Discus tank finally (180g community w/75g refugium)

Hello thought I would do a spring update on the discus and the 180g.

Here's a ***VIDEO UPDATE***

I have added some Apisto's (Macmasteri & Hongsloi) to the tank as well as peacock gudgeons which I know can do ok at temps around 82 but I will see how they do if not take them out. I also added two Tunze 6015 (475 ghp) powerheads to the tank to add flow behind both rock piles on either side. That way, food or waste will not get stuck back there. I seem to be having some issues with spot algae and some kind of purple algae so I'm adding more flow to the tank to see if that might help a little. Also might get a tunze 6055 which is controllable, so I can add very little flow across the tank but not in the open areas where Discus will be.

As for the Discus they are growing, I'm guessing around 5 inches now and still doing every other day to every day water changes when I have the time. They actually laid eggs a second time for me but like the first no wigglers. Also the second time around the Red San Merrah paired up with the Leopard instead of the Eruption but lets see what happens in the future when I put the unproven pair in their own tank.

Real Name
    Filip

Your tank rocks Knucklez and so does your discus .
    If you manage to pass the final test of keeping this two separate beauties together in a stable and healthy system you are becoming one of my favorite threads pal .

Registered Member

Your tank rocks Knucklez and so does your discus .
    If you manage to pass the final test of keeping this two separate beauties together in a stable and healthy system you are becoming one of my favorite threads pal .
    Thank you very much That is what I am hoping for. All the time researching and money spent will hopefully come together with what I envisioned years ago!

Also the unproven pair have spawned 2 more time so I have decide to make room on my shrimp rack with a 20g from them. lets see how it goes.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast