AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Anyone with Trimless tanks?

Real Name
    Zach

Default Anyone with Trimless tanks?

I currently have a ADA 90P that I drilled and is being used or going to be used as a reef tank. It comes in at only 48g and the next up is a 120P which is around 65g and is a 4' tank. Only problem is the drilled option comes in around $1,200 without shipping or crate. Does anyone use another brand that has the same quality but doesn't break the bank? I'm looking for something 80-140g and drilled for a sump.
    -Zach

Real Name
    Ricardo

Default Re: Anyone with Trimless tanks?

Quote Originally Posted by zchauvin View Post
    I currently have a ADA 90P that I drilled and is being used or going to be used as a reef tank. It comes in at only 48g and the next up is a 120P which is around 65g and is a 4' tank. Only problem is the drilled option comes in around $1,200 without shipping or crate. Does anyone use another brand that has the same quality but doesn't break the bank? I'm looking for something 80-140g and drilled for a sump.
    What is it about the ADA that grabs your attention the most? I am assuming the rimless option? If so, there are a lot of companies out there that can make something similar and rimless. The drilling you can do yourself for the filtration.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Matt

I think the higher you go the more you want to close your eyes. Thicker glass, heavier, more to ship, etc....gonna be pricy either way you go. I bought mine (roughly 100gal 4ft) from Miracles in Glass....Canadian company, shipped it freight down to me (my work has a loading dock luckily so that decreased the cost some as they don't have to use a lift or anything). Mine was like $800-1000 shipped just for the tank though not drilled, keep in mind this was multiple years ago but shoot them a line and get a quote, won't hurt to find out. Quality of mine is excellent and still going strong.

http://www.miraclesaquariums.com/custom_tanks.html

A lot of people on the reef boards seem to be happy with http://www.scaquariums.com/category-s/101.htm currently. They have a 120gal starfire with overflow currently for $900 shipped (150gal for $1k) on the website. No personal experience with them just stuff I ready, seem to be legit though. TBH if I was buying another one, I would be buying from these guys if Miracles couldn't give me a price close to it. If you do go for them check the overflow drain size, some people say they wish it were larger but it might meet your needs.
    -Matt

thanks for the links. I've been wanting some cube tanks made for breeding, 20"x20"x20" love that size drilled for overflows. would make great breeders

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by Discus-n00b View Post
    I think the higher you go the more you want to close your eyes. Thicker glass, heavier, more to ship, etc....gonna be pricy either way you go. I bought mine (roughly 100gal 4ft) from Miracles in Glass....Canadian company, shipped it freight down to me (my work has a loading dock luckily so that decreased the cost some as they don't have to use a lift or anything). Mine was like $800-1000 shipped just for the tank though not drilled, keep in mind this was multiple years ago but shoot them a line and get a quote, won't hurt to find out. Quality of mine is excellent and still going strong.

A lot of people on the reef boards seem to be happy with http://www.scaquariums.com/category-s/101.htm currently. They have a 120gal starfire with overflow currently for $900 shipped (150gal for $1k) on the website. No personal experience with them just stuff I ready, seem to be legit though. TBH if I was buying another one, I would be buying from these guys if Miracles couldn't give me a price close to it. If you do go for them check the overflow drain size, some people say they wish it were larger but it might meet your needs.
    those scaquariums look nice! I wish they didn't have those built in overflows for different configurations, but that price isn't bad at all.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Zach

Thanks Matt, I remember you telling me you went with miracles. I did inquire with them and they quoted +- $500 for shipping alone. Either way it seems that I'll be eating a hefty cost if I go that route. I do have an lfs that has a tank builder and they do decent work for an OK price as well as no shipping cost.

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    What is it about the ADA that grabs your attention the most? I am assuming the rimless option? If so, there are a lot of companies out there that can make something similar and rimless. The drilling you can do yourself for the filtration.
    Doesn't have to be an ADA tank, just saying I already have one that I drilled myself but that they are expensive for the sizes offered. Reef savvy has a long wait list as well as high prices so I was looking for other options.
    -Zach

Real Name
    Matt

You could also look into glasscages.com I don't have experience with them but I have read many people who have. I don't think the quality will be ADA, but very nice for a big tank like that.

Real Name
    Zach

Glass cages has a bad reputation and shotty work at best, if it were a qt tank I would consider but not for a display. I contacted miracles and the price was high to say the least.
    -Zach

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by zchauvin View Post
    Glass cages has a bad reputation and shotty work at best, if it were a qt tank I would consider but not for a display. I contacted miracles and the price was high to say the least.
    Contact customaquariums and see if they are willing to do a rimless tank. I've had my eye on their 240 deal for quite a long time:
    http://customaquariums.com/p-14-240-...72l-x-24d.aspx

Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Zach

Thanks for the link will inquire.
    -Zach

Real Name
    Matt

I figured they went up in price after I got mine from there but wasn't sure. I tend to agree with you about glasscages though the ones I saw in person at NADA (not rimless though) looked fairly well built. Was nothing like my Miracles quality wise (as far as seams and such go) but they didn't look bad. I tend to go to the reef boards for rimless tank ideas. Reefers usually demand the best quality out there for tanks like this, and use them more as displays, so it might give you another suggestion we haven't mentioned yet.
    -Matt

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    Contact customaquariums and see if they are willing to do a rimless tank. I've had my eye on their 240 deal for quite a long time:
    http://customaquariums.com/p-14-240-...72l-x-24d.aspx
    The dimensions are off for a 240 gallon Rick.
    Its me "Prabhu" I am just a little angry these days

Real Name
    Zach

I figured they went up in price after I got mine from there but wasn't sure. I tend to agree with you about glasscages though the ones I saw in person at NADA (not rimless though) looked fairly well built. Was nothing like my Miracles quality wise (as far as seams and such go) but they didn't look bad. I tend to go to the reef boards for rimless tank ideas. Reefers usually demand the best quality out there for tanks like this, and use them more as displays, so it might give you another suggestion we haven't mentioned yet.
    I've checked with a few others as well and not sure what I will do just yet, waiting to hear back from a few more.

Quote Originally Posted by AngryBird View Post
    Website claims its a "240" but the actual stated volume is 209.
    -Zach

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by AngryBird View Post
    yeah, i've actually reached out to them and explained this to them. From my calculations, that tank is roughly 192g. When I emailed back and forth though, they said they had made a mistake and would fix it, but that the price is still the same for the 240g. I guess they never fixed it

Cafepress.com