ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: who's running automatic water change systems?

Default who's running automatic water change systems?

time to do some plumbing and get some new tanks together and drilled for the easy life. looks like i'm going to have some mouths to feed.

at the very least i'll have everything setup with a stand pipe and drain system, then probably use a garden hose to fill tanks individually, powered by a pump from the basement.

grow outs will get straight well water while breeders will get straight RO treated with RO RIGHT and a buffer.

at this point I dont' think I could fully automate.

I know theres an issue of solenoids that need pressure to operate but that's all I remember.

Silver Member

Default Re: who's running automatic water change systems?

limige,

Here's how I set up a semi-automated system:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...Water-Exchange

What's your reasoning for using RO Right with a buffer? I might suggest using RO with well water mix. You can determine the desired TDS by using the proper mix ratio and save the cost of the RO Right with a buffer.

Hope this helps,

Paul

Registered Member

I am running a well water drip system with an overflow for a group I am growing out. Seems to be working pretty good. The well water comes into the tank pretty cold so it's taking a lot of heat to keep the tank temperature up. All I have to do is vacuum the waste once or twice a day, 5 minutes tops, the drip takes care of the refill. Wipe the glass occasionally and squeeze the sponge filters and I am good to go.
    Don

paul im still playing with my water mix to figure out what will work well. my well water is so high in calcium I have cut back to less than 3 gallons of well water in a 30 gallon container to get hatchable water. to get a good hatch even less. so I figured using RO RIGHT would be better and I got a fantastic hatch...but my ph is unstable requiring some type of buffer.
    so I cut back the RO RIGHT by 1/3 and added 1/2 gallon of well water and its bringing ph up to 7. I would rather have a stable 6.5 but I guess 7 will do if I have to. I have been teetering around 6.-6.2 with just RO RIGHT.

I wasn't sure about drips since the well water is so cold. I think a storage tank with a pump and overflow is a better system. still toying with ideas.