AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home from a two week vacation

Real Name
    Geoff

Default Home from a two week vacation

Just in case anyone wants to know what a tank looks like when you come home after two weeks with out food or cleaning. The worm cones I added the moment I walked in the door, but fish are just fine.
    215.JPG

Real Name
    Ricardo

Default Re: Home from a two week vacation

Did you leave the lights on for them? If so, in the future, i'd advise you to just leave them off.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Geoff

Yeah, thought they wanted the routine of the lights, I'm not concerned about the Algae, just realized that cleaning the tank really does something

Real Name
    Phil

Wow, 2 weeks! No issues!? That is amazing, kinda makes me feel better, I have a few one week trips planned the next few months and I am already on edge about my tanks...

I was going to have a friend who has kept fish help me out... I am trying to weigh if I should even do that or just leave them...

I am afraid he might really mess something up worse than them being left alone and hungry for a week...

Real Name
    Geoff

These guys are a hungry growing group of 11 month olds and they did just fine with no food for 13 days (so a little short of 2 weeks ). Most threads here say no food is better than a friend trying out discus keeping for the first time.

Registered Member Larry Grenier's Avatar

On a side note; it looks to me like those heaters are dangerously high like a little evaporation and they're above the water line. Maybe it just looks that way. Glad to hear they did well.

Real Name
    Mauro

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Grenier View Post
    On a side note; it looks to me like those heaters are dangerously high like a little evaporation and they're above the water line. Maybe it just looks that way. Glad to hear they did well.
    Good point.

Thanks for sharing. It just proves the point to a lot of people that ADULT discus will be perfectly fine with no food for a long time. I have left 7 wild discus in a 80g tank with no food for 3 weeks. The result? They felt so bad that they started spawning while I was out of town They were perfectly fine when I came back.

Real Name
    Matt

I went on a 7 day vacation 2 weeks ago and when I came home my fish didn't look THAT good, maybe i need longer vacations...

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by Loosir View Post
    These guys are a hungry growing group of 11 month olds and they did just fine with no food for 13 days (so a little short of 2 weeks ). Most threads here say no food is better than a friend trying out discus keeping for the first time.
    Yes, I will typically tell people to forget telling their friends/family to mind their fish when away. They are usually the ones responsible for vacation deaths.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Geoff

Quote Originally Posted by Solid View Post
    I went on a 7 day vacation 2 weeks ago and when I came home my fish didn't look THAT good, maybe i need longer vacations...
    Nice Matt! I love it, but I bet you say that to all the girls..:

Registered Member

Hi,10 days vacation is coming,did you feed them before you leave.Thanks Andy

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by kyaw06 View Post
    Hi,10 days vacation is coming,did you feed them before you leave.Thanks Andy
    What you want to do is feed less and less leading up to the last day before your vacation. On that last day, do not feed and do a large WC. Feed when you return.

Cafepress.com

Registered Member

Thanks

Real Name
    Matt

The recommendation by most here is that you make your last feeding 2 days before leaving. This way the fish will not have food in their system, and basically stop producing as much waste. Then do a big 90%-100% water change right before you leave. That way the water is pristine and their is no fish food or waste in the tank for the duration of your vacation.

Real Name
    Steve

.....always told 2 weeks without food would be fine but seeing the pictures is great...thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast