ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Healthy Discus died within a 1/2 hour after w/c!!

Registered Member

Default Healthy Discus died within a 1/2 hour after w/c!!

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?

I just lost my favorite discus a little while ago. I was a Blue Scorpion male large about 7 inches. Today the discus in question was swimming normally, and eating. This after noon I did a water change and then fed live brine shrimp. I feed them live brine shrimp once a week just for a treat. Within about 10 - 15 minutes the discus turned completely black and started to swim on its side and just not able to keep it balance when swimming. Gills looked normal. Only symptom was turning black and swimming erratically. All of the other 5 discus were normal. I decided to do another water change (90%) thinking it might be something with the water or the live brine shrimp. When I refilled the tank, the discus started to regain some of its color. I thought 'this is good'. Within a few moments the discus began swimming on its back, and died within a few minutes. Any thought of what may have happened, could it have been the live brine shrimp? This seems so weird to me, am completely baffled and super sad.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.
    No medication.

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.
    -75 gallon bb. 6 discus, 3 cory and 10 tetras.

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).
    90 daily sometimes I may skip a day when I am lazy

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?
    Tank running for more than 2.5 years.

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.
    no I do not age my water. There is no ph swing.

8. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp _82____

- ph 6.8
    - ammonia reading 0

- nitrite reading 0

- nitrate reading <10

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- municipal water __X__ and use Prime

9. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.
    Nothing added for a few months.

10. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.
    Picture attached. If needed can attach more/better pics.

Any thoughts or ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    George
    Last edited by George001; 04-17-2015 at 07:37 PM.

Homesteader Kingdom Come Discus's Avatar

Default Re: Healthy Discus died within a 1/2 hour after w/c!!

Any chance the fish could have been spooked, causing it to dart possibly running into the glass or other hard surface?

Very sorry for your loss.
    Kraig

Registered Member

Hello Kraig,
    I didn't notice. But also thought of the possibility. I keep the tank real simple, no decorations just the heater and the filter. I notice that my discus do like to hang around the heater when ready to lay eggs, and always lays eggs on the heater. Not sure I a sudden burn. Didn't see any burn mark on the discus, just turning real black.

Thanks Kraig for your input. Very strange !

George

Homesteader Kingdom Come Discus's Avatar

Your welcome. Again very sorry for you.
    Kraig

It could be from live brine shrimp, it might be contaminated. That's I'm scared to feed my fish live food because you don't where they came from

Registered Member

Thanks warblad79.
    it did occur to me also. Not really sure. I get my bbs from the lfs once a week for a treat. Never had a problem before, but you really never know. I guess I will not feed this to them any more just to be on the safe side.

Hmmm... Seems to me if it happened that fast and deadly, it had to have something to do with your water. Maybe the city added something, pipe cleaning or a leak somewhere in your county's water system.

I couldn't imagine something with the Brine Shrimp acting that quickly and devastating!
    Anyhow, sorry gif the loss of your favorite.
    How are the other fish doing?

Chad
    Proud Host of the best Discus show ever in North America because of the people who came!!
    NADA Show Convention Atlanta 2012
    Member of SouthEast Discus Enthusiasts
    North American Discus Association Board Member

Registered Member

Chad,
    thanks for your response. All of the other fishes are doing well. Just checked and they all look good. Weird, the only thing that I can come up since this all happened super quickly, is that maybe the discus might have hit himself on the glass and I didn't notice. It was almost unbelievable how things went to bad so quickly.

George

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by George001 View Post
    Chad,
    thanks for your response. All of the other fishes are doing well. Just checked and they all look good. Weird, the only thing that I can come up since this all happened super quickly, is that maybe the discus might have hit himself on the glass and I didn't notice. It was almost unbelievable how things went to bad so quickly.

George
    This happens sometimes and is what I believe may have happened here since all other fish are doing fine. Keep an eye out on the rest and I am sorry for your loss.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Adams View Post
    Hmmm... Seems to me if it happened that fast and deadly, it had to have something to do with your water. Maybe the city added something, pipe cleaning or a leak somewhere in your county's water system.

I couldn't imagine something with the Brine Shrimp acting that quickly and devastating!
    Anyhow, sorry gif the loss of your favorite.
    How are the other fish doing?

Chad
    I would think if it was water related then the other fish would at least be showing some signs of stress?
    Ex-President-North American Discus Association-NADA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Real Name
    Tristan

Bummer ... Sorry for your loss. Has anyone done a necropsy on the victims?
    If you are listened to, be content.
    If you are not listened to, be more content. Meng Li

Registered Member

thanks ricktztahone,nc0gnet0, and twostofer for all of your comments. I did not do a necropsy on the fish. Check this morning all of the remaining 5 discus are doing well, eating with appetite. Just keeping an eye on them just to make sure everything is ok. So far everything is normal. Very strange and sad experience.

George

Real Name
    Phil

George,

Sorry for your loss! Did you add your prime or any additives during your change? Was the temp compatible ? As someone already stated if it was water it would effect all the others ? I screwed up once and nearly wiped a tank full out with a dumb water change and mistakes on my part.

Sucks to loose a fish this way especially your fave!