Thread: Welcome to our Photo Guru's

Moderator Team and MVP Apr. 2016 rickztahone's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    iTrader
    11 (100%)
    Real Name
    Ricardo

Default Welcome to our Photo Guru's

As many of you know (or those that may not), we have an area here in our forum specifically aimed at advancing your photographic needs. This section, The Photo Center, was created so that anyone, regardless of their gear or photographic skill level, can participate and get a better understanding of the fundamentals of photography. The end game may be to simply take better pictures of your beautiful discus, but in reality, there is no limit to what you can learn in our Photo Center section. It isn't specifically aimed at aquarium photography, so if you have ever wanted to buy a camera, upgrade from your current camera, or have advanced questions on how to take a certain picture, we are there to help on any and many more of these type of questions.

We even have a Practice thread where we go through basics and advanced topics and excersizes depending on your comfort and skill level. This thread gets you more hands on with the gear you currently have, whether it be a 4k professional grade camera, or a first generation iPhone. Everything is specifically catered to the participating user.

With all of this being said, we, as a moderating and admin group are a relatively small group. For this reason, we have sought out and approached many members here in the forum that have shown interest in helping us manage this section. If you happen to see a new designation by someone's name that say's "Photo Guru", then you are looking at our very generous volunteers in this section. I say generous because these individuals have agreed to give up some of their personal time to volunteer and help us with this section, so please keep this in mind when in the Photo Center.

Please help us welcome some of our Photo Gurus and thank them for their kindness in volunteering:

-Stan (SMB2)
    -Dave (dagray)
    -Visu (db2inst1)
    -Steve (SteveCA)

Remember, this section is completely free! You have nothing to lose, but much to gain by participating.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

iTrader
    Real Name
    Dave

Default Re: Welcome to our Photo Guru's

Thank you Rick

Since this is a Discus forum I will post a photo or two of fish first

Growing out Discus in a 75 gallon tank. I started them in breeder boxes when they were dime sized, this is when they were about three inches:

Juvenile Panda Corry in a jungle of black worms... this is in a 20 gallon tank in my son's room with a Panda Corry colony, and one Java Khuli loach, with some pond and trumpet snails

Berried female Red Cherry Shrimp (I used to have a colony of these)

Sulawesi Cardinal Shrimp (these guys are usually only available by auction on aquabid, and I did have a colony of these....

Small scorpion in my front yard

Honey Bee on Lavender in my front yard:

Hot Air Balloons over the Yakima River in Prosser, WA (2010)

Hot Air Balloons over the Yakima River (2012)

Calla Lilly

Orchids using a mirror behind them and bouncing the flash off the ceiling

Asiatic Lilly from last year's growing season in front yard

Lightning from my front door

Big Horn Sheep

Mandarin Duck

Portrait in the snow. The day my oldest earned his Green Belt

I do a bit of everything with photography, I do some black and white also.

I live in Eastern Oregon just east of the Columbia Gorge in Boardman, OR which is desert. I love to shoot wildlife, hot air balloons, flowers, and sometimes landscapes, but shooting portraits, events (weddings), helps pay for my travel and equipment. I have a full time job five days a week and own two businesses (a photography service business, and a distributor for It Works Global which are natural health supplements.

Blessing to all, and I am more than happy to give an answer to help someone take better photos as I am also always willing to hear constructive criticism on my work. My photo business Facebook is here to see more images https://www.facebook.com/DavesPhotography97818 (not an e-commerce site).

Dave
    God is the artist, he merely allows me to see and capture his work . http://davesphotography7055.zenfolio.com/ coupon code: angelfish
    some of my work accepted by Pentax (the camera bodies I use): http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidgray

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    iTrader
    9 (100%)
    Real Name
    Pat

Nice Dave and a warm welcome to all our Photo Gurus. I look forward to working with you guys. In the small amount of time I have been working with Ricardo, Matt, Al and now some of you guys my own skills have noticeably improved.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

iTrader
    3 (100%)

Welcome Stan, Dave, Visu and Steve! Thank you for volunteering to help.

Ardan

Registered Member
    iTrader

Alright photography 101 for people with constantly wet hands.

Welcome and thanks Photo Guru's.

Look forward to learning.
    Excellence is never an accident. It is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, and intelligent execution;
    it represents the wise choice of many alternatives - choice, not chance, determines your destiny. Aristotle

iTrader

Thanks Al and Ricardo.
    My first contact with SD was because of finding some amazing fish photos while surfing the web. Several moves have kept me from restarting my fish tank(s), so I am more than happy to help out with photography, although I still can't take great tank pictures!
    However I have taken one or two fish images! My first underwater shot was on my SECOND dive in 1972; lucky I didn't drown. 2000 dives later, I can't think of to many where I didn't have a camera. Two weeks after I purchased my first real SLR camera, I left it on the roof of my car and headed down I95...not recommended. And, I have learned a few other photography things over the decades. Taking pictures was a great stress release when I was working and now in retirement keeps me out of trouble.
    So if I can help in any way with the SD photography site and it's photographers, it would be my pleasure. I am most familiar with Nikon hardware and Aperture (now defunct), Lightroom software but enjoy teaching general photography.

Regardless of anyones skill level this can be a great info source. For me, learning the hardware is easy, practicing the art is tough. When it comes to comments on images, please know that everybody "sees" with different eyes. So critiquing is not criticism. There are some general guide lines on what makes an image pleasurable to look at but they are just a starting point. Digital "film" is relatively cheap so there is no excuse for not taking lots of shots regardless of the camera. I was taught that one way to become a better photographer is to look at lots of images...so keep posting.

My first dive:

20141201_untitled_013228_053.jpg

My first underwater image:

Stan Bysshe.jpg

A recent one:

20140918_Day 8 Kalki_174044_4080wtmk.jpg

And dry land:

20140709_untitled_051835_23575-Edit-Edit.jpg
    Stan

SIMPLY DISCUS IS AN OXYMORON

Blog Entries
    iTrader
    11 (100%)
    Real Name
    Ricardo

Great bio Stan. I didn't realize you had been diving for so long! Great to have you on board.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

iTrader
    Real Name
    Dave

Stan,
    That shot of the bird/birds in flight is outstanding. Might I recommend you print it large and on metal? That would really bring out the tonal quality and color saturation.
    God is the artist, he merely allows me to see and capture his work . http://davesphotography7055.zenfolio.com/ coupon code: angelfish
    some of my work accepted by Pentax (the camera bodies I use): http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidgray

SimplyDiscus Sponsor
    iTrader
    2 (100%)
    Real Name
    Jamie Elder

Fantastic !!! I could certainly use more photo skills :-)

Blog Entries
    iTrader
    217 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Arizona Discus View Post
    Fantastic !!! I could certainly use more photo skills :-)
    Hi Jamie!
    Theres always room for improvement...even among pros. The key is practice and learn as much as you can...We hope members here will take full advantage of this opportunity !

Al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>Do YOU LIKE SIMPLYDISCUS?? Please help Support it today, so its here tomorrow .. DONATE HERE Thanks!

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

SimplyDiscus, where the cool fish swim...

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    iTrader
    9 (100%)
    Real Name
    Pat

Jamie, I have the photo gurus working with me and my photo's are considerable better. Went from this

DSC_4951.jpg

To this

DSC_7696.jpg
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Photo Guru
    iTrader

By way of introduction, I have been shooting photos (very poor ones ) since I was ten. I didn't have the funds to really pursue the hobby much so I hung around a neighborhood camera store which had lots of darkroom chemicals, enlargers and stuff. I read a notice on Kodak products that suggested that folks write them if they had any questions about photography or Kodak products. At the age of ten, I took that to heart and wrote them a letter telling them how interested I was in learning darkroom techniques, photographic composition, etc. Low and behold, they actually read my letter and for the next twelve months, I received packages from Kodak with all assortment of books, product samples, etc. I learned composition, exposure, shutter speed, apeture, depth of field and other photography skills from their books and pamplets.

I've been a shutterbug ever since. In 1973 my father bought me a Nikon Ftn. In the late seventies, I started scuba diving and naturally underwater photography using a Nikonos IV and in 2000 bought my first digital camera. My first son was born in 1995 and my second son was born in 1997. This rekindled my interest in photography and I have taken over 150,000 photos during their lifetime.

My main interest now is landscape photography. I've been on a few photo tours with a fellow named Marc Adamus and have learned a ton from him. He transformed my photography from decent to much better. Starting in 2000, I got into photoshop in a big way and have learned a bunch of post processing skills. I probably have over 1000 hours of experience with photoshop as I was the main parent photgrapher for my sons schools, producing their yearbooks year in year out. You may have never seen a yearbook quite like my sons elementary school yearbooks.

I will soon be an empty nester so I plan on more photography and soon, Discus.

Here are a few shots from recent trips:

Meadow Sunrise 1024 sig.jpgBad Water framed 1300.jpgKihei Sunset 2012 1200.jpgHawaiian Sunset 2013 01 1200.jpgMono Lake Milky Way 02 1200.jpgF15 Vapor 2011 1200.jpgWestin Hawaii Sunset 2009 email.jpg

Blog Entries
    iTrader
    11 (100%)
    Real Name
    Ricardo

Amazing photos Steve and great bio!

Cafepress.com

Photo Guru
    iTrader

Thanks Rick. I look forward to seeing more photos and helping in any way I can. Cheers!

Photo Guru
    iTrader

In the past ten to fifteen years, photography has change dramatically with the ever increasing powers of Adobe Photoshop and other photo processing software. It might be helpful if gurus post some before and after photos to help folks with cropping/composition, color, saturation, exposure adjustments, and whatever else folks use in post processing to make their photos look great.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast