Thread: Welcome to our Photo Guru's

Blog Entries
    iTrader
    11 (100%)
    Real Name
    Ricardo

Default Re: Welcome to our Photo Guru's

Quote Originally Posted by SteveCA View Post
    In the past ten to fifteen years, photography has change dramatically with the ever increasing powers of Adobe Photoshop and other photo processing software. It might be helpful if gurus post some before and after photos to help folks with cropping/composition, color, saturation, exposure adjustments, and whatever else folks use in post processing to make their photos look great.
    That is a good point. With the DR on cameras now a days, PP is a very helpful tool to bring back lost information on the files.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Photo Guru
    iTrader

Here is an example of my before and after to illustrate several things:

1. Exposure techniques with todays high end sensors, in this case Nikon D800.
    2. The power of post processing in bringing out colors and shadow detail
    3. Getting rid of distracting elements, in this case our groups cars parked in the meadow parking lot.

As you can see, the photo unprocessed appears hopelessly dark. From an exposure standpoint, this was purposely done to avoid blowing out the sky. The exposure was set to ensure that no highlights (bright areas of the photo) are clipped (blownout). When highlight details are blown out, there is no detail and when you process the photo, it would appear pure white with no cloud detail in the blown out areas.

With todays awesome sensors you can easily, without adding noise, bring out shadow details dramatically (at least 4-5 stops or more for you photo buffs). In the processed photo, you can see nice detail in the meadow and even the background trees if I choose, which I didn't.

Processing in RAW, I brought out the colors in the sky, the foreground yellow flowers, and the green grass in the meadow.

Then, last but not least, I got rid of the cars and the parking lot by clone stamping trees and meadow grass over the cars.

I'm not suggesting that this photo is a accurate representation of what was there. It is effectively a piece of art, rendered in the way I want the final photo to look. To me, every photograph is the start of a piece of art. I will then create the mood I want through processing.

Name:  oregon sunrise unprocessed.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  69.8 KBName:  Meadow Sunrise 1024 sig.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  566.8 KB

Blog Entries
    iTrader
    11 (100%)
    Real Name
    Ricardo

Good stuff Steve and great explanation. I have recovered a lot of shadow from my Sony sensors in the past.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

iTrader

I need to understand more about post processing effects, all great photos

Blog Entries
    iTrader
    11 (100%)
    Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by Blademan View Post
    I need to understand more about post processing effects, all great photos
    That would be a good topic to start in Photo Center. Some of the basic post processing tools that are used are slider edits. Things such as:

-exposure
    -contrast
    -saturation
    -highlight recovery
    -shadow boost
    -clarity
    -White balance

These are just a few of the basic ones.

Cafepress.com

Photo Guru
    iTrader

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    Good stuff Steve and great explanation. I have recovered a lot of shadow from my Sony sensors in the past.
    It is amazing the amount of detail and color you can pull out of the shadows/dark areas, without causing a washed out noisy photo. Prior to the Nikon D3 (late 2007 intro), I would have said that it wasn't possible to pull such detail out of the shadows without completely destroying the photo. At that time, I would have taken three photos at different exposures and blend them all together. This was known as HDR before it became readily available in camera. It was tedious post processing work comprised of stacking different parts of each photo to create one photo that was not possible to shoot in camera. Now with the amazing sensors available, its a breeze to just take one shot, expose for the highlights and your done. It is a rare shot that I cannot capture with just one shot in RAW.

By the way, this is only possible if you shoot RAW, at least for now, as JPEGS capture far less information and thus cannot provide that much detail from the shadows without introducing noise and color issues.

Blog Entries
    iTrader
    11 (100%)
    Real Name
    Ricardo

Steve, here is one of my DR saves:
    Name:  DR Recovery 1.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  594.7 KB
    Name:  DR Recovery 2.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  887.9 KB

I purposefully under exposed the foreground and was hoping I had enough play with the slider to recover it, but I didn't want to blow the sky out.

In retrospect, I don't like it too much, too overcooked, but the technique is sound.

Cafepress.com

Photo Guru
    iTrader

Rick

Your photo illustrates why you need to avoid overexposing the highlights. In this photo, the sun is the brightest highlight. If the sun was blown out, it owuld have no color or detail. Instead, you sun has a nice yellow glow and detail. You can always pull out details out of the shadows/dark areas, but you can never recover blown highlights as there is no detail to recover.

If in doubt, underexpose, never over expose should be the photographers mantra.

iTrader
    Real Name
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by SteveCA View Post
    Rick

Your photo illustrates why you need to avoid overexposing the highlights. In this photo, the sun is the brightest highlight. If the sun was blown out, it owuld have no color or detail. Instead, you sun has a nice yellow glow and detail. You can always pull out details out of the shadows/dark areas, but you can never recover blown highlights as there is no detail to recover.

If in doubt, underexpose, never over expose should be the photographers mantra.
    Exactly as the trick with film used to be to over expose a tad to bring out all the color... well if we do that with digital we lose information, but if we underexpose on digital shooting RAW we can bring back a very close rendering of what our eyes saw.
    God is the artist, he merely allows me to see and capture his work . http://davesphotography7055.zenfolio.com/ coupon code: angelfish
    some of my work accepted by Pentax (the camera bodies I use): http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidgray

Registered Member
    iTrader

Wow hopefully someone here can help me ,I don't have a computer,I do just about everything on my IPad,if anyone knows how to post pictures from my IPad to SimplyDiscus,I would be grateful forever
    Thanks
    Sean

Registered Member
    iTrader

Hi Ricardo,thanks for getting back to me earlier ,hoping you can tell me how to put photos up from my IPad,thanks again
    Sean Kelly

Blog Entries
    iTrader
    11 (100%)
    Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by seankelly View Post
    Wow hopefully someone here can help me ,I don't have a computer,I do just about everything on my IPad,if anyone knows how to post pictures from my IPad to SimplyDiscus,I would be grateful forever
    Thanks
    Sean
    Quote Originally Posted by seankelly View Post
    Hi Ricardo,thanks for getting back to me earlier ,hoping you can tell me how to put photos up from my IPad,thanks again
    Sean Kelly
    I'm so sorry I didn't get back to you Sean. I looked for the Ipad that day after work and couldn't find it. The following day I went on a cruise and I just got back. I will keep looking for the charger to help you out. Sorry for taking so long.

Cafepress.com

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    iTrader
    9 (100%)
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    I'm so sorry I didn't get back to you Sean. I looked for the Ipad that day after work and couldn't find it. The following day I went on a cruise and I just got back. I will keep looking for the charger to help you out. Sorry for taking so long.
    Sean, I described how to do this in the thread you create in the site feedback. Here's what I posted.

Sean, to upload pictures from your ipad do the following.

1. Go the the Quick Reply box with in a thread and click on the "Insert Image" icon. It's the third one from the right hand side and looks like a square with a little tree in it.

2. The "Insert Image" dialog with appear. Click on the "Choose File" button. Select "Photo Library" and then select "Camera Roll".

3. Select the picture you wish to upload from the pictures shown. Then select "Upload File(s)". The picture will be placed in your Quick Reply box with the keywords ATTACH with a number. That is your picture and looks like this before posting the reply [ATTACH]92496[/ATTACH]. Your picture number will be different.
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Blog Entries
    iTrader
    11 (100%)
    Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Sean, I described how to do this in the thread you create in the site feedback. Here's what I posted.
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  189.2 KB

Cafepress.com

Blog Entries
    iTrader
    11 (100%)
    Real Name
    Ricardo

Sean, I finally found the charger last night. I tried uploading directly from the ipad like Pat outlined but I could not get it to work. In the end, to post that shot I had to hit "go advanced" on the bottom right. Once there, I clicked the paperclip icon. Then, choose the files you'd like and hit upload. Lastly, go back to the paperclip icon but immediately to the right of it is a little arrow that points down. Click that and select the file you uploaded. That will insert your picture. I hope that helps

Cafepress.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast