Thread: 240g planted build

Real Name
    Devon Cropley

Default Re: 240g planted build

Yes please explain...

Real Name
    Devon Cropley

Was able to take a few pictures today everyone is settling in nicely. To bad I only have 2 discus left, had a bad buy of juveniles from a lfs, but I learned my lesson the hard way. Cant wait to order some adults from our sponsors. Still learning a lot this tank is miles away from my self-contained 55g planted tank. blue.jpglarry.jpgpleco.jpgskittles.jpgskittles2.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by alcastro View Post
    Richard, how did you fix the images.
    Easy, Photoshop.

Windows also has a built-in Paint app that rotates images.

Real Name
    Devon Cropley

Well bought some new fish from a member will post pictures and unboxing this week.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Please remember, if you introduce your new discus in to a tank that you know contained unhealthy discus, you may be back at the drawing board in a few days with sick discus. The correct approach would have been to fully sterilize The tank before new introductions.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Devon Cropley

I plan on qt the new fish for a few months in a bare bottom tank. In the mean time what you'll you suggest to sterilize the tank without harming my other fish

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by Debow View Post
    I plan on qt the new fish for a few months in a bare bottom tank. In the mean time what you'll you suggest to sterilize the tank without harming my other fish
    You are not going to like it. You would have to break it down completely. Remove the current fish and place them in another tank. Use a bleach solution on your main tank as well as all your equipment. There is no telling if the fish you place back in the tank will carry anything though. You run the risk still if you introduce them to a later date with the discus. It is a risk I would not personally make. I would sell/give to the LFS and start fresh. That is just me though, and I tend to be really paranoid about stuff like this, lol.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Registered Member

I agree Rick, I've had to do that several times with my vics, sucks everytime....Comes with hobby.
    Excellence is never an accident. It is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, and intelligent execution;
    it represents the wise choice of many alternatives - choice, not chance, determines your destiny. — Aristotle

Real Name
    Devon Cropley

What do I do with the substrate, wood, plants rocks? So if you guys lose one fish you exterminate your tank? So the uv sterilizer is pointless.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Substrate toss. Wood boil. Plants toss or bleach dip. Rocks boil.

If I lose one fish what killed it becomes a large factor of my next step and if total nuke is necessary. It needs to be your assessment though
    Last edited by rickztahone; 06-11-2015 at 07:34 PM. Reason: misspelled substrate !

Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Devon Cropley

So looking at the health of the other 2 discus and the angles and other fish how would i know if they are okay, I lost the other fish in the 55g they did not die in the 240. But the fish that were with the other 2 are in the 240 now. Everyone eats like pigs and rushes up to you when you go see them. They don't have any feces issues as i can tell. As for the other fish that died from the start they never were social and always hid, were not the best eaters and looked like they stopped eating and starved even when trying to target feed. Not sure if the other larger discus picked on them also as they were smaller and I have seen him harass the others before.

Real Name
    Mervin

I would go with toss those fish.I see tiger barbs and I think a puffer fish and a big dirty pleco and a crayfish.You'll not stress your discus as much and they might grow better.

Registered Member

Honestly I think you are going at this too fast. Haste is responsible for the death of too many hobbiest.

Real Name
    Devon Cropley

I have little to no comment of this going froward, If I had a tank full of discus hans fish or Kenny's would you all be telling me to give them away or get rid of them? I have not seen a vary warm welcome on here and I take offense to the statements on my fish. I would love to see one of you toss your discus stock due to a fish that died. And even after I have tried to provide as much info on the conditions around the death and the current state of the fish that are doing great still the only comment is to toss them, really? I feel as if I joined some hoity toity upper west side NYC dinner club, not a place for logical and helpful aquarium advice. Id appreciate it is someone can delete this thread.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Debow View Post
    I have little to no comment of this going froward, If I had a tank full of discus hans fish or Kenny's would you all be telling me to give them away or get rid of them? I have not seen a vary warm welcome on here and I take offense to the statements on my fish. I would love to see one of you toss your discus stock due to a fish that died. And even after I have tried to provide as much info on the conditions around the death and the current state of the fish that are doing great still the only comment is to toss them, really? I feel as if I joined some hoity toity upper west side NYC dinner club, not a place for logical and helpful aquarium advice. Id appreciate it is someone can delete this thread.
    Sorry, personally I wan't trying to come off that way. If I was in your shoes I wouldn't toss all of my fish if one got sick. But I certainly would make sure the disease pathology was eliminated before introducing more fish. That being said I have eliminated livestock in the past to prevent spread.

I think I would clean the tank well, certainly with bleach, consider bleaching the substrate or buying new based on personal affordability. I think you will have to get new filter media or bleach that too depending on what you use. Clean filters and all hardware with bleach solution. You could house your fish in a quarantine tank until you are certain they are disease free if that is an option.

Ultimately it all comes down to risk reward analysis. How much risk are you willing to take that your new fish won't get sick. This comes down to personal preferences. Some posters believe any risk is too much risk and hence they advocate you get rid of all your stock and start new. Others are on the other side of the spectrum. Find where your at, do what your comfortable with, and certainly don't take any advice personally. There is no concrete evidence to follow when it comes to raising fish.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast