AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The many uses of Panty hose in an aquarium

Real Name
    Dave

Default The many uses of Panty hose in an aquarium

No this is not a thread that is made in jest or tongue in cheek, it is serious in nature.

That said here are some uses I have found for panty hose in the aquarium keeping hobby:

1) panty hose over a stand pipe on an undergravel filter when doing tank maintenance to keep smaller fauna from investigating the stand pipe's inner spaces (great for shrimp tanks, where there is fry, or smaller fish)

2) as a pre-filter over a filter intake to keep fry or debris out of the filter. If you have an algae issue and are getting ready to scrub heavily the algae put panty hose over the intake held on with a rubber band, and at the end of the cleaning cycle you can syphon off the panty hose so the debris (especially unwanted algae that will "re-seed" itself given the right conditions) isn't still in your aquarium system.

3) need a sack for used filter media or tank substrate to seed the beneficial bacteria to start the cycle on a new tank? Yup panty hose.... put your media in the panty hose and tie them off, then just drop in the tank.

4) have an aquarium product that is small granules (like Seachem Purigen an anti Nitrogen rechargeable media) put it in the panty hose and then in your filter basket on a multi stage canister filter.

5) making sure you don't poor fauna out with used tank water... put panty hose over the bucket you syphon into so that any larger particles or fauna (small shrimp, fish fry) are captured to be put back in the tank.

6) vacuum pre-filter.... want to vacuum sediment and not get any of your small fauna? put a piece of panty hose over the intake of your tank syphon.

So here you see six good uses for panty hose in the aquarium hobby.

Yes the checkout girl at the grocery store looks at me funny when I buy that 25 pack of Knee high women's stockings, but hey they save me a bunch of work

oh and number 7 for shrimp keepers using sponge filters put panty hose over the sponge as this will keep shrimplets from being sucked into the sponge. Of course I power my sponge filters with power heads on a reverse flow undergravel filtration system.

So go buy panty hose, and be proud
    God is the artist, he merely allows me to see and capture his work . http://davesphotography7055.zenfolio.com/ coupon code: angelfish
    some of my work accepted by Pentax (the camera bodies I use): http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidgray

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: The many uses of Panty hose in an aquarium

Dave, I use knee hi's also for small media bags. Way cheaper then buying the actual bags.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Matt

Does the elastic in them deteriorate over time? How long do they last? Also, do the fish prefer the black lacy ones or the brown sheer ones?

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Matt, I usually cut the elastic out and put a simple knot to keep the media in. You might try some different types to see which your fish prefer
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Dave

I generally end up cutting the toe out and using it, and attatching it to the filter with a rubber band.

when I use them as a media bag I use Pat's method. I have Purigen in them for the top basket in my Fluval 406, and when I do filter maintenance I just pull the bags and rinse them in tap water (the chlorine recharges the purigen) and then rinse again with used tank water.
    God is the artist, he merely allows me to see and capture his work . http://davesphotography7055.zenfolio.com/ coupon code: angelfish
    some of my work accepted by Pentax (the camera bodies I use): http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidgray

Real Name
    Matt

Good advice, thanks! I'll have to give them a try.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by dagray View Post
    I just pull the bags and rinse them in tap water (the chlorine recharges the purigen) and then rinse again with used tank water.
    ummm you must have a HIGH chlorine content in you tap water. In all reality I have used purigen for a long time and it takes more chlorine than just a rinse in tap water.

I too have found panty hose very useful in the aquarium. I must say I have never tried to put in on the intake as I thought it would clog too easily might give that one a try next time.

Real Name
    Dave

I started with the purigen to fix a problem I didn't have (high nitrate) as the test kit I was using was effected by the Stress Coat water conditioner I was using (key word "Was").

I no longer use water conditioners as I have a filter on my drinking water (the water I use to fill the tanks) and it has no chlorine or chloramine (as tested by a reagent style test for chlorine/chloramine).

Real Name
    Tristan

Quote Originally Posted by Solid View Post
    .... Also, do the fish prefer the black lacy ones or the brown sheer ones?
    I'd try to avoid the red or black fishnet...
    If you are listened to, be content.
    If you are not listened to, be more content. Meng Li

Real Name
    Ricardo

Panty hose are very useful and also very cheap. Always keep some around your aquarium

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Tristan

The mesh can be a limiting factor because it can clog easily and you may restrict water flow (theoretically). I have used pantyhose for the finer grade filtration and water conditioning products without too much problem. For the coarser grained items, I still like the plastic canvas.

Registered Member fishtanktenderfoot's Avatar
    Real Name
    Steph

Adding to the list: I used knee highs as the "squishy" plant pots. It holds in the plant substrate and doesn't mix with my PFS tank bottom, and it is SO much easier to move the plants around for vacuuming and maintenance. I cut the toes off and secure the roots with rubber bands. I found this use on another post here. It works great!

I use it to rinse my baby brine shrimp before adding them to the tank. I was taught that by MMorris.

Mishka
    "No I am not sending you that video! Although cash is king!"
    ~SOS California Crew~

Real Name
    Dave

I like that when placed over a filter intake if one gets an algae bloom or has a particulate issue that one can turn off the filter and with a 3/8 rigid tube attached to a 3/8 vinyl hose one can just vacuum the debris off of the panty hose, and one doesn't have to worry about nuisance plants like Java or Christmas Moss getting into the filter impeller (if an HOB filter).

Real Name
    Tristan

Quote Originally Posted by fishtanktenderfoot View Post
    Adding to the list: I used knee highs as the "squishy" plant pots. It holds in the plant substrate and doesn't mix with my PFS tank bottom, and it is SO much easier to move the plants around for vacuuming and maintenance. I cut the toes off and secure the roots with rubber bands. I found this use on another post here. It works great!
    Great idea. How do you let the roots grow? Is there enough room? Plants like Crypts like a deep substrate bed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast