AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Not enough light?

Registered Member

Default Not enough light?

I've seen warnings in a couple of threads about not leaving the tank lights on for too long, but is there such a thing as not enough light causing any issues? My discus have been in my tank for about 6 days now and they still run to hide when anyone enters the room. I don't have an algae eater yet so I've only been using the moonlight LED for about 5 hours of the day from about 7 pm to midnight. I've been doing this to avoid algae until my UV sterilizer comes in and also in hopes that it makes my discus more comfortable. The rest of the day I'm usually at work and they're in a room where the blinds are closed. Will the lack of light cause any problems with my discus?

Registered Member

Default Re: Not enough light?

Are you sure your nitrities aren't are 0?
    Ron

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by alron2 View Post
    Are you sure your nitrities aren't are 0?
    Ron
    Yes, water tests are fine. Fish are just getting acclimated, they just started eating a couple days ago. If I sit still near the tank they go about their day normally, swimming around and appear healthy. I just wanted to make sure that I'm not causing any problems by not turning the full tank light on at all

Registered Member

not unusual at all some Discus take awhile to settle down. Years past I had some that I couldn't keep where there was a lot of traffic and yet some enjoy ALL the attention and try to beg from all who walk by.