AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Constipation question

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Constipation question

Just a guess but think Rick was saying no need to dose with kanamycin until you know the epsom salts have not worked over a 24 to 48 hour period. So if the fish is still bloated after the epsom salt treatment is complete then assume a bacterial infection and proceed with kanamycin.
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kyla

thanks pat!

Registered Member

what about an enema?

This is day 2 with Epsom salt, and I'm seeing NO improvement! My plan is to start kanamycin therapy! The directions give the dose amount, however the instructions after that are confusing!! Can any of you guys tell me how often to dose the kanamycin? Keep in mind that Im having to do large daily WCs, since my 10 gallon hospital tank is not cycled! Kris
    Last edited by krislewis3; 05-04-2015 at 05:36 AM.

I have never been clear on just how much to feed, and Im concerned that im overfeeding. If my feeding scedule is 3X per day, how many freeze dried black worm cubes should i feed my 6 adult sized discus at 1 feeding? Kris

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by krislewis3 View Post
    I have never been clear on just how much to feed, and Im concerned that im overfeeding. If my feeding scedule is 3X per day, how many freeze dried black worm cubes should i feed my 6 adult sized discus at 1 feeding? Kris
    observe your discus as they eat. If they finish all of their food right at the 15min mark, then you are feeding a good amount. If they have a lot left over, you are feeding too much. If they are eating it all a lot sooner than the 15min mark, then you need to feed more. With this being said, discus that are prone to getting bloated will typically get bloated sooner or later.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Sooooooo, the fish is still bloated after 48 hours and 2 Epsom salt treatments. He has not moved his bowels at all, and has stopped eating since I moved him to my 10 gallon hospital tank. Since the Epsom salt isn't helping, i began dosing him with kanamycin, according to the instructions . I'm not clear on my next move with the kanamycin. The instructions say to repeat every 2 days, to a max of 3 doses. It doesn't mention WCs, sooooooo can you guys fill me in on that? (If I do a WC, do I need to increase the dose?). Kris
    Last edited by krislewis3; 05-04-2015 at 04:32 PM.

Thank you........

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    observe your discus as they eat. If they finish all of their food right at the 15min mark, then you are feeding a good amount. If they have a lot left over, you are feeding too much. If they are eating it all a lot sooner than the 15min mark, then you need to feed more. With this being said, discus that are prone to getting bloated will typically get bloated sooner or later.

Update.....this fish is now expelling what appears to be intestinal lining, after 48 hours of Epsom salt, and 24 hours of kanamycin. Should I continue with the kanamycin?? Kris

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by krislewis3 View Post
    Update.....this fish is now expelling what appears to be intestinal lining, after 48 hours of Epsom salt, and 24 hours of kanamycin. Should I continue with the kanamycin?? Kris
    at this point, yes. Continue with the treatment.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Aaron

Do you reconstitute (soak) freeze dried foods before feeding? Years ago this was recommended to me and I've always done so and never had an issue with constipation, though freeze-dried food is a minority of the diet for my fish. Soaking is often recommended on the packaging of several freeze-dried brands.
    Last edited by gimaal; 05-05-2015 at 06:44 PM.

[QUOTE=gimaal;1156013]Do you reconstitute (soak) freeze dried foods before feeding? Years ago this was recommended to me and I've always done so and never had an issue with constipation, though freeze-dried food is a minority of the diet for my fish. Soaking is often recommended on the packaging of several freeze-dried brands.[/QUOTEi

I soak it for 10 seconds, until it's mushy.......should I be soaking them longer???

This morning the fish in question, still hasn't expelled any feces! I plan to do a 90% WC, and start the second dose of kanamycin. The instructions say not to exceed 3 doses, over 6 days. If I still don't get results after the 3rd dose, what would you suggest??? Kris

Real Name
    Aaron

I soak all freeze-dried foods for 5-10 minutes. I also soak all pelleted food until it is soft and it expands. Are you feeding freeze-dried exclusively? If so, I'd suggest a more varied diet.

Quote Originally Posted by gimaal View Post
    I soak all freeze-dried foods for 5-10 minutes. I also soak all pelleted food until it is soft and it expands. Are you feeding freeze-dried exclusively? If so, I'd suggest a more varied diet.

On a daily basis, I feed freeze dried black worms, frozen beef hart, beef hart flake, and veggi/garlic flake. On occasion, I trade out the frozen beef hart, for tetra bits, or freeze dried brine shrimp. I'm probable over feeding them. Although they always finish what I give them, it's not always in a 15 min. period. Since your suggestion, I have cut back...and have begun to soak the food as you suggest!
    As far as my bloated fish...if after 3 doses of kanamycin, he is still bloated...what would you suggest??? Kris

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast