ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: California Water Woes.... (Rethinking filtration for better water within constraints)

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kris

Default California Water Woes.... (Rethinking filtration for better water within constraints)

Hey guys, it has been awhile! Ive been busy sadly.

As some of you probably know (especially Californians)

Our water is exceedingly expensive... due to drought among other things...

sadly, since the family houses have tons of trees, grass, and a very large pond, working with these sends our total water cost into the triple digits just on their own, my discus keeping also wound up making a fair impact on the water bill with my previously daily 100% water changes across three tanks.

that eventually went to every other day, and now most lately, to every 3 days just because there isn't much else to go without suffering major penalties on the utilities...

every 3rd day of full 100% water changes seems to be working fine for the discus growth, they have been eating freeze dried blackworms mainly and only given frozen turkey mix just before the water changes. Sadly, there seems to be some slight stunting with the fish at the bottom of the pecking order, most likely due to a combination of stress and lower overall water quality. Not much i can really do at this point as far as water changes.

So! being pushed to my limit as far as water, i decided to look into alternative filtration means that can be driven by air.

I placed an order for 4 Hamburg Mattenfilters to use as upgraded sponge filters for my tanks, they will be coming tomorrow and will eventually be replacing the active sponges in the tank.

I also just placed an order for 4 35W LED grow light panels to be utilized as an upflow algae scrubber component. I plan to have the algae scrubber built up behind the HMFs to provide a more balanced filtration system.

now i just need to find nice fine rigid plastic containers to load purigen into and i think i could have all reasonable bases covered...

Once I get these tanks up and running with these new systems, i will consider using vacant tanks to raise juvenile discus to adults using this system and biweekly water changes. We all know having plants and algae filter out hazards helps, but the question now is, how much does it actually help?
    Last edited by kris2341; 04-30-2015 at 04:26 PM.

Registered Member

Default Re: California Water Woes.... (Rethinking filtration for better water within constrai

Are you watering the plants and trees with tank water?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kris

Default Re: California Water Woes.... (Rethinking filtration for better water within constrai

sadly, not in its entirety, because the place is far too large for that. The tank water is pumped into the pond and from there used to occasionally water plants but the hoses for that are very heavy and theres only time to do so when the pond actually has its water change done.

Real Name
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by kris2341 View Post
    sadly, not in its entirety, because the place is far too large for that. The tank water is pumped into the pond and from there used to occasionally water plants but the hoses for that are very heavy and theres only time to do so when the pond actually has its water change done.
    Bah,

Bad excuse. Buy yourself a 275 gallon tote and a sprinker pump and water your yard with tank water.
    Ex-President-North American Discus Association-NADA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I turned my sprinklers off a year ago, all the water goes to holding tank, got a 1,300 gph pump with hose and water planters one day grass the other day, takes time but save money and save water, plus plants are greener lol
    AL

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kris

where can i get one of those pumps? if its big enough to drive sprinklers, ill definitely consider it!

Real Name
    Rick

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Your neighbor Mishka had one , mine is just for ponds with a hose attachment , the only thing is that the sprinkler heads plug, beef heart does the same to my vanes,

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kris

yup.... that clogging is an issue ive been wondering how to tackle.... just a whole lot of mechanical filtration? If i were to use a large high pressure pump to tackle a whole sprinkler system, that would make everyone happy lol.

that Wayne pump looks good for the garden hose watering around here at least, definitely worth looking into. Will grab one once I have some comfortable funds to use.

Now to clean up the pond so i dont have to worry about clogging said pump as i turn it into a water holding tank....

I don't think that pump will have much problems get a pond planter basket and a pree filter screen

Real Name
    Rick

Just get your self a big filter sock to catch the solids and make sure to avoid sprinklers with extremely small openings.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Real Name
    Rick

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Registered Member

I live in CT. where water is not a problem. But I'm reading about Ca. everyday and to my mind it's not looking pretty. I would think given the situation
    now and possibly worse in the future that watering your trees and plants should be the last things on your minds. Put in desert plants as nature intended.
    Jay

Registered Member

Jay,

If he puts in desert plants what can he do with his aquarium waste water? Just curious.
    Ron

Registered Member

Think you will be better off with this pump, I tried the one mentioned above and it just wasn't strong enough for me. This pumps much faster and stronger.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Wayne-1-2...-PC4/100067909

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast