ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Confirmed case of Cryptobia as cause of Chronic Wasting Disease

Default Confirmed case of Cryptobia as cause of Chronic Wasting Disease

I have confirmed by microscopy and necropsy Cryptobia as a cause of chronic wasting disease in my discus. I will provide documentation over time, but if you want to wade through my journal of the process of finding this and confirming it over the last 18 months or so, then see my blog.
    http://careyaquarium.blogspot.com/
    I will gradually transfer the relevant pieces of the blog to this site for the benefit of others. I also plan to tell others how to diagnose Cryptobia in your discus. I wish to thank my local vet, Dr. Sam Young in NC as well as Dr. Wes Baumgartner at the Mississippi State University Veterinary School with helping guide me to the correct diagnosis and possible treatment options for this nasty vermin.
    Here's a youtube video of Cryptobia:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WucYjMth6gI

Default Re: Confirmed case of Cryptobia as cause of Chronic Wasting Disease

Unfortunately that disease has been a problem for other hobbyists here over the years. I'm sorry to hear about the issue you are having. I'd be interested in what the pathologists tell you as treatments. Generally The concensus I have seen is there are none that are 100% effective, and any fish that recover with treatment may be lifetime carriers. Most here euthanize the tank and start over.

hth,
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member John_Nicholson's Avatar

Sorry to hear. Here is an old article that I wrote a long time ago. I was able to get mine treated but I think I was lucky.

http://www.texascichlid.org/archives...lent-menace-2/

-john
    Please check out http://forum.discusnada.org/

SOS Crew Texas

I have treated the hospital tank by raising temp to 90F and dropping the pH gradually to 4.0 (Jack Wattley) and using dimetridazole (Emetryl) 100mg/L for 1 week. The fish have responded well. The tank contains 2 and both are eating. Jack was right about the antibiotic effect of low pH. Both fish showed response to that intervention alone though it had no effect on the Cryptobia count in their feces. However after a week of dimetridazole with high temps, I examined fecal samples from both and the Cryptobia are markedly diminished! The treatment is clearly effective, but too early to tell if curative. I have not touched the main tank which is clearly a carrier though the fish in that tank show no signs of illness.
    We need a site that will host micrographs of organisms in stool samples for comparison. Does anyone know of such a site?

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Since a micrograph is simply a digital image any of the online photo sharing sites should work such as photobucket or flickr.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Just realized I underdosed the dimetridazole bc the powder is only 40% active ingredient. I dosed 12gm in my 40gallon and should have dosed 30gm/24hr for 3 days. So I started again today. At 12gm the organism counts were down but they rebounded after treatment was over.

I had that parasite. It was the worst thing I ever had. Worse that "Discus Plague" that I got from fish I won in an auction. Nicholson was able to cure his fish, but I was not able to cure mine. I didn't lower the pH. but I don't think that Nicholosn lowered his either. I ended up culling every fish in the fish room and sterilizing all tanks and equipment. I hope you have better luck. It's a bad bad bad bad bug.

Please PM me and tell me who you bought the carriers from so I can avoid him.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

HI,
    I am an outsider here at the discus forum, since I have African cichlids.
    However this terrible parasite Crytobia Iubilans is a common problem.
    My story is the same as I read before. Adding fish without adequate quarantine (big mistake). Fish wasting away slowly with several secondary problems. Unsuccessful treatment with different medications. I actually had the autopsy done because I was thinking Mycobacteriosis. When the verdict came back of hex+Crytobia curable by metronidazole according the pathologist fish expert I was actually happy. Started metronidazole however the problem persisited. According to the expert this was because of irreversible damage to organs and not an ongoing infection. Second big mistake. After a year with my stock decimated and my second tank down affected as well I decided to cull all the fish and start over. So I did a major cleaning of my aquarium(s) and equipment since I have plants without chemical disinfection and started all over. Third big mistake. After restocking the same old symptoms are comming back after just a week.
    At this point I’am distraught. What should be a nice hobby is becoming a nightmare. I would grately appreciate your help in regards to two aspects.
    I’ll try the dimetridazole cure route at least once. If I understand correctly it is 100mg/L for three days. The question is how much of a water change is needed in between and after treatment?
    If this does not work I will start over once again. What are the proper steps and chemicals used for disinfection in regards to the aquarium, the gravel, rocks and equipment to make sure this disease is over with?
    Thank you in advance for your help.

I had the same issues for a few years necropsy found cryptobia and possible microsporidians. dimetriadizole didn't work either, I even doubled the dose on some fish that were sent out and they came back pos. I sprayed everything hard with povidone iodine, threw out all soft parts like sponges. the filter bio media I soaked with bleach and then boiled it for 20 or so minutes. I also had a while back fish getting granulomas. not sure exactly what caused them but I used ethanol because it is the only thing that will penetrate cysts that I know of.
    couple years ago after all this I started getting white feces in some fish again that were in tap but the altums and heckles in ro never had issues and still have them for gotta be around 4-5 years now.
    I added a whole house uv to my incoming water and a carbon canister as well and never had an issue again. I believe that people who have reoccurring problems could very possibly be having the problems from their water source. mine is from open reservoirs and the catskill aqueduct.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Ficakus View Post
    HI,
    I am an outsider here at the discus forum, since I have African cichlids.
    However this terrible parasite Crytobia Iubilans is a common problem.
    My story is the same as I read before. Adding fish without adequate quarantine (big mistake). Fish wasting away slowly with several secondary problems. Unsuccessful treatment with different medications. I actually had the autopsy done because I was thinking Mycobacteriosis. When the verdict came back of hex+Crytobia curable by metronidazole according the pathologist fish expert I was actually happy. Started metronidazole however the problem persisited. According to the expert this was because of irreversible damage to organs and not an ongoing infection. Second big mistake. After a year with my stock decimated and my second tank down affected as well I decided to cull all the fish and start over. So I did a major cleaning of my aquarium(s) and equipment since I have plants without chemical disinfection and started all over. Third big mistake. After restocking the same old symptoms are comming back after just a week.
    At this point I’am distraught. What should be a nice hobby is becoming a nightmare. I would grately appreciate your help in regards to two aspects.
    I’ll try the dimetridazole cure route at least once. If I understand correctly it is 100mg/L for three days. The question is how much of a water change is needed in between and after treatment?
    If this does not work I will start over once again. What are the proper steps and chemicals used for disinfection in regards to the aquarium, the gravel, rocks and equipment to make sure this disease is over with?
    Thank you in advance for your help.
    I am working on a detailed response and will give you a summary of my research on Cryptobia iubilans and supplemental research documents that I've gleaned from the internet. Give me a couple of days. I've been planning to compile this anyway and your question has prompted me to write up my last 1 1/2 years of experience trying to determine the cause of chronic wasting disease in discus.

Registered Member

This is very interesting, thanks for this insight!
    We all discus lovers and breeders alike, love our clean water and clean tanks, we all express our love, heart and soul by cleaning and changing water (to no end), to only possibly be putting "clean water" in the tank with the "new clean water" possessing the very disease ailing our beloved creatures.
    How horrifying!
    Thanks Jim for posting your experiences, this may have help more people then you think.
    Thanks "Shrinkwrap" this thread is Honourable to attempt to help so many.
    Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by jimg View Post
    I had the same issues for a few years necropsy found cryptobia and possible microsporidians. dimetriadizole didn't work either, I even doubled the dose on some fish that were sent out and they came back pos. I sprayed everything hard with povidone iodine, threw out all soft parts like sponges. the filter bio media I soaked with bleach and then boiled it for 20 or so minutes. I also had a while back fish getting granulomas. not sure exactly what caused them but I used ethanol because it is the only thing that will penetrate cysts that I know of.
    couple years ago after all this I started getting white feces in some fish again that were in tap but the altums and heckles in ro never had issues and still have them for gotta be around 4-5 years now.
    I added a whole house uv to my incoming water and a carbon canister as well and never had an issue again. I believe that people who have reoccurring problems could very possibly be having the problems from their water source. mine is from open reservoirs and the catskill aqueduct.

I've had several interesting discussions with University of Florida about cryptobia, and was even invited into a lab during a fish necropsy one day to see it on the slides for an explanation of what it is and how it affects our fish.

Last year I took some fish for analysis at UF's lab and in the batch of discus I took for analysis, the lab found cryptobia in about half of them. The interesting thing is that these were two separate sources of fish (from two different suppliers, which had never been mixed with other discus or with each other), and there were some fish in each batch which carried it and some which didn't. Some of those fish had been with me for a few years in my personal collection at home and shown no signs of wasting away or illness (I sacrificed a few perfectly healthy, active, well-fed fish for the tests) yet there was cryptobia present in their systems.

They couldn't explain how some of the fish carried it without symptoms, and they couldn't explain why there were cryptobia-free fish among the cryptobia-carrying fish. I'd always heard cryptobia was a horrific discus-killer, highly contagious and wiping out full tanks. This was obviously not the case if the lab's findings were correct -- you had carriers living among non-carriers, and they'd all been together for a year or more. If it were highly contagious, all should have had it. If cryptobia was an indiscriminate killer, they all should have been dead or at least wasting away.

It makes me wonder if cryptobia is a bit like hexamita, in that a healthy discus can carry it without falling prey to it, but that stress allows it to take hold as we commonly see with flagellates.

UF continues to research cryptobia in cichlids and I'm curious to learn more about their findings, because there were still some head-scratchers in there that didn't seem to make a lot of sense.
    Last edited by Ryan; 12-27-2015 at 03:45 AM.

Ryan, that is VERY interesting. I've also had cryptobia, confirmed by an aquatic vet at Virginia Tech, in consultation with vets at UF. I went through the process several posters have mentioned, euthanizing all fish, sterilizing everything and starting over. But if we can import apparently healthy fish that are carrying cryptobia, then indeed the only remedy seems to be to provide as stress-free an environment as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by shrinkwrap View Post
    I am working on a detailed response and will give you a summary of my research on Cryptobia iubilans and supplemental research documents that I've gleaned from the internet. Give me a couple of days. I've been planning to compile this anyway and your question has prompted me to write up my last 1 1/2 years of experience trying to determine the cause of chronic wasting disease in discus.
    (I typed this on Word, I hope it is legible. Let me know if some things don't come through.) Unfortunately, I do not have a lot of new information to offer that cannot be gleaned elsewhere, other than my own experience but I can save you some time. In offering suggestions for what to do to deal with an infection by Cryptobia iubilans that causes a chronic wasting disease, I would like to provide you with some background information. First off I am a physician, not a vet. I have consulted with a couple of vets locally and have also consulted with Dr Wes Baumgartner at Mississippi State vet school. In writing this I want to be clear that my suggestion is to work with a vet when possible. However, it is difficult to find a vet interested in treating fish or one who has ever made the diagnosis of Cryptobia iubilans infection in discus. If you have found a vet that has helped you please share that info with others.
    I have had 3 Discus necropsied who died from chronic wasting disease. All of the pathologists were different. I can provide the results if anyone is interested. All of these fish showed granulomas in the stomach and GI tract. The testing for Mycobacterium which is another pathogen than can cause granulomas was negative suggesting cryptobia iubilans infection. I have purchased a microscope and confirmed large numbers of live cryptobia in stool samples from infected fish. This whole process of identifying the cause of chronic wasting disease in my fish took me about a year and a half of research. In providing my experience I hope to help others learn about this at a much faster and easier pace. Maybe someone could take this the next step and outline an effective diagnosis and treatment algorithm. There are other causes of chronic wasting disease in discus but Cryptobia is likely a common cause, imho.
    I believe this infection is common among breeders and we purchase these fish already infected. (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15154736) This is something that is testable and provable if someone was up to the task. If this was proven then I believe breeders would be forced to deal with this organism more aggressively. As it is now the breeders have no incentive to cure this infection, because the infection does not cause disease for several months in many cases. So the discus hobbyist gets these beautiful fish and then over a period of weeks to months they gradually quit eating and eventually die. The hobbyist gets frustrated with this repeated process and quits keeping discus! I believe this is THE reason people give up on discus, but I do know with certainty is A reason.
    It is helpful to understand something about the life cycle of this organism. I can provide research articles on the subject.
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/vm077
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...10151844,d.eWE.
    Here’s a YouTube of the organism: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WucY...qN23aPHwgXoTFs
    And here’s my video shot with a cell phone camera. (Sorry about the audio.) http://careyaquarium.blogspot.com/20...resent-in.html

This organism can be ingested as a free swimming organism or as the eggs of the organism. It is a one-celled ciliated organism. It is a parasite and not a bacteria nor a virus. The organism infects the GI tract of the fish. The organism does not cause the immediate death of the fish. Some fish will resist disease caused by it. It can infect the fish for many months before it actually causes any symptoms. The organism irritates the GI tract and the intestinal tract responds to that irritation by forming granulomas around the organism. These granulomas are difficult to penetrate with medication and that is one of the reasons why it is so difficult to treat this infection. By the time your fish shows symptoms, these granulomas have multiplied in the GI tract and some have begun to have secondary bacterial infection. It is this secondary bacterial infection that typically causes the death of the fish. The symptoms are familiar to us. One day we notice one of the discus has stopped eating and is hanging out at the back of the tank. The process progresses and the fish starts getting dark in color. Over weeks, not days, the fish losses weight and appears weaker. Extra mucous appears on the fish and the breathing rate goes up. One day it’s found dead. One of the clues it may be a parasite and not an acute bacterial infection is that the process is slow. Bacteria usually kill a fish in a few days. The fish never has time to waste away its weight.
    An important point to understand is that standard quarantine times of four to six weeks are not sufficient to identify Cryptobia iubilans disease. The organism can remain in the fish for months before actually causing symptoms. So the only way to be sure that your fish is not infected is by doing microscopic analysis of a stool sample.
    Here are Dr. Wes Baumgartner’s comments about the latest necropsy of one of the fish that died of this wasting disease. I’ve reviewed the histology slides of your discus and I’ve found several microscopic stomach granulomas that lack acid fast organisms. A wasting syndrome in discus fish associated with stomach granulomas has been reported in association with cryptobia iubilans, a flagellate of the intestinal tract. I think this is probably what’s been going on. I saw no convincing evidence of mycobacteriosis. I spoke with Sam and I’ve got a sample of spleen in ethanol that we can run PCR for mycobacteria on. However, without granulomas in any tissue but the stomach, I doubt we’d find any evidence for mycobacteria.
    I’ve attached a report of cryptobia in discus that you will find interesting. The syndrome in your tank is remarkably similar. Treatment is difficult.
    Additionally, there is abundant iron in the liver, which I associate with high red cell turnover. It is uncommon in fish and of uncertain significance, though can be associated with pollution in wild fish populations.
    Dr. Baumgartner is as the vet school at Mississippi State. Here’s his review article: https://www.was.org/documents/Meetin...A2011_0435.pdf
    This would be a great research project for some student in microbiology or a vet school student who wants a research project. I suspect that there are many hobbyists who would be willing to contribute money to this research to finally eradicate this organism from the Discus hobby.
    Regarding treatment, typical protocols include placing the sick fish in a QT tank and raising the temp to 90F and you must aerate continuously at those temperatures. This speeds up metabolism in the fish and shortens the life cycle time of the parasite. I also use Jack Wattley’s technique of low pH to kill bacteria. (Tropical Fish Hobbyist Magazine, May 2013) This technique drops the pH by 0.5pH every 6 hours until a pH of 4.0 is reached. I’ve killed fish going too quickly. This will help with any secondary bacterial infection, but you could chose to omit this step. The low pH will have no effect on the Cryptobia, by the way. The low pH and high temp conditions are maintained for the duration of treatment with any antiparasitic and for 5-7 days thereafter. I also add Epsom’s salt, magnesium sulfate, which is said to make the fish more comfortable from the antibiotic. It is also a laxative which theoretically may help expel parasites or probably more realistically deal with constipation that comes from the disease process.

I have tried metronidazole, dimetridazole, flubendazole, praziquantel (Prazipro), levamisole, 2-amino-5-nitrothiazol , and combined those with traditional antibiotics (such as erythromycin, tetracycline, and monocycline) to kill the secondary infections. Before I knew the organism was Cryptobia iubilans a vet used
    2014-12-29 added toltrazuril today
    From Dr. Sam Young
    Toltrazuril 50mg/ml addedd 6.5ml at 4:30pm. Instructions to bathe 1 hour then 50%water change. Repeat every 48 hrs for 3 total doses
    It did not work. I can say with confidence that metronidazole does not kill cryptobia iubilans though it is often suggested. Traditional antibiotics used in the hobby will not kill cryptobia though they may help the secondary bacterial infections that occur in the granulomas. There is a relative of metronidazole called dimetridazole that has been suggested and I have used it. It is difficult to find in its pure form. It has been available as a pigeon disease treatment called Emetryl. (I read an article in the pigeon literature that said it had been removed from the market bc it is suspected to be carcinogenic.) This has only 44% active ingredient and it is a very dirty product that will cloud the aquarium. If the fish are already weak they will not survive the treatment. I have successfully treated 2 fish with this product and was able to confirm that the parasite count was markedly reduced in the stool sample by microscopic analysis. I was still able to identify a few organisms in the stool sample after the fish was treated. However the fish did not show any signs of disease and they were able to be returned to the primary aquarium from the hospital tank and. So far in my experience this is the only thing that has helped. Greater success with this would be available if we could get it in higher purity because the additives for the pigeons ruins water quality. The water is so cloudy you can’t see the fish! I thought the product Clout had dimetridazole but the manufacturer said no it’s metronidazole and another ingredient. We need a pure form of dimetridazole. Let me know if anyone knows where to get it.
    http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...-Dimetridazole

I would like to find a treatment that would completely eradicate this organism. There are other suggestions. The leading suggestion is a compound called isometadium. It is not available in the United States. I attempted to buy it from China but never received the product. http://www.rmpc.org/files/nwfcc/2008..._talk1ver2.pdf
    Another option suggested is almiramide.
    Another option is Amphotericin B which has shown benefit in the blood infection by Cryptobia salmonistica. http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/1...A%3E2.3.CO%3B2
    The article noted earlier from UFla suggested another compound [a bath treatment with 2-amino-5-nitrothiazol
    (10 mg/L for 24 hrs, followed by a 80-100% water change, repeated daily for 3 days)]. I tried this on 1 fish but it was too sick before I got it in the hospital tank and it quickly died contributed to by my error in dropping the pH too quickly. I don’t think this was a fair trial. I am likely to try it again when needed.
    Another idea I had was to use the vaccine in discus that is used to prevent Cryptobia salmositica in salmon. The disease caused is a blood disease and there’s no guarantee it would work to prevent the GI infection with Cryptobia iubilans. I’ve been unable to find it. Wouldn’t it be wonderful if we could vaccinate discus to prevent this chronic wasting disease!
    There are other suggestions offered by Dr. Wes Baumgartner. I can email these options if you want. If several of us could work together we could more quickly and effectively identify a treatment for this organism. It is necessary in my opinion to have a microscope and learn to identify the organism in a stool sample. I can certainly help anyone with this process if they are interested.
    Here’s a YouTube of the organism: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WucY...qN23aPHwgXoTFs
    And here’s my video shot with a cell phone camera. (Sorry about the audio.) http://careyaquarium.blogspot.com/20...resent-in.html
    It would be helpful if we could find a vet who would be willing to advise us as we proceed in this process. I assume that the vets who are most knowledgeable about this like Dr. Roy Yanong at the Univ of Fla vet school and others like him are reluctant to advise much because of the ethics around practicing veterinary medicine across state lines and because they are hesitant to give advice on diagnosis and treatment on a fish they’ve not personally examined. However there is no reason not to have a standard set of treatment recommendations for Cryptobia iubilans in discus that are reasonably effective. I believe it can be achieved if others are willing to work on this and share their work with us all.
    You can review my blog but it was written as a personal journal to document my experience with my planted discus tank and was not written for others to read so some of it would not be understandable to anyone but me.

In summary, from my experience, my best results have come from the use of Emetryl in a hospital tank maintained at a temp of 90F and a pH of 4.0. I have saved 2 fish this way. The bath treatment with dimetridazole (80 mg/L for 24 hrs, followed by a 80-100% water change, repeated daily for 3-5 days, longer is better). Keep in mind Emetryl is only 40% dimetridazole so in measuring it out you’ll need to use 200mg/L of Emetryl. It may be wise to add an antibiotic to it, because the granulomas in the fish end up with secondary bacterial infections.

Currently I have 9 discus in a planted tank. Four of the fish have been in the tank since May 2014 from an online dealer. The others are recently purchased at a local shop. One of the new ones I am a little worried about bc he hides in the back a lot but he’s still eating. If he gets sick with Cryptobia I’m going to try the 2-amino-5-nitrothiazol only bc I did not get a reasonable trial with it before.

Please share your treatment efforts of Cryptobia iubilans with us all. If you find other good scientific articles or other good info releveant please post it here. If you want to use Emetryl and can’t find it let me know.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kyla

Quote Originally Posted by shrinkwrap View Post
    (I typed this on Word, I hope it is legible. Let me know if some things don't come through.) Unfortunately, I do not have a lot of new information to offer that cannot be gleaned elsewhere, other than my own experience but I can save you some time. In offering suggestions for what to do to deal with an infection by Cryptobia iubilans that causes a chronic wasting disease, I would like to provide you with some background information. First off I am a physician, not a vet. I have consulted with a couple of vets locally and have also consulted with Dr Wes Baumgartner at Mississippi State vet school. In writing this I want to be clear that my suggestion is to work with a vet when possible. However, it is difficult to find a vet interested in treating fish or one who has ever made the diagnosis of Cryptobia iubilans infection in discus. If you have found a vet that has helped you please share that info with others.
    I have had 3 Discus necropsied who died from chronic wasting disease. All of the pathologists were different. I can provide the results if anyone is interested. All of these fish showed granulomas in the stomach and GI tract. The testing for Mycobacterium which is another pathogen than can cause granulomas was negative suggesting cryptobia iubilans infection. I have purchased a microscope and confirmed large numbers of live cryptobia in stool samples from infected fish. This whole process of identifying the cause of chronic wasting disease in my fish took me about a year and a half of research. In providing my experience I hope to help others learn about this at a much faster and easier pace. Maybe someone could take this the next step and outline an effective diagnosis and treatment algorithm. There are other causes of chronic wasting disease in discus but Cryptobia is likely a common cause, imho.
    I believe this infection is common among breeders and we purchase these fish already infected. (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15154736) This is something that is testable and provable if someone was up to the task. If this was proven then I believe breeders would be forced to deal with this organism more aggressively. As it is now the breeders have no incentive to cure this infection, because the infection does not cause disease for several months in many cases. So the discus hobbyist gets these beautiful fish and then over a period of weeks to months they gradually quit eating and eventually die. The hobbyist gets frustrated with this repeated process and quits keeping discus! I believe this is THE reason people give up on discus, but I do know with certainty is A reason.
    It is helpful to understand something about the life cycle of this organism. I can provide research articles on the subject.
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/vm077
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...10151844,d.eWE.

This organism can be ingested as a free swimming organism or as the eggs of the organism. It is a one-celled ciliated organism. It is a parasite and not a bacteria nor a virus. The organism infects the GI tract of the fish. The organism does not cause the immediate death of the fish. Some fish will resist disease caused by it. It can infect the fish for many months before it actually causes any symptoms. The organism irritates the GI tract and the intestinal tract responds to that irritation by forming granulomas around the organism. These granulomas are difficult to penetrate with medication and that is one of the reasons why it is so difficult to treat this infection. By the time your fish shows symptoms, these granulomas have multiplied in the GI tract and some have begun to have secondary bacterial infection. It is this secondary bacterial infection that typically causes the death of the fish. The symptoms are familiar to us. One day we notice one of the discus has stopped eating and is hanging out at the back of the tank. The process progresses and the fish starts getting dark in color. Over weeks, not days, the fish losses weight and appears weaker. Extra mucous appears on the fish and the breathing rate goes up. One day it’s found dead. One of the clues it may be a parasite and not an acute bacterial infection is that the process is slow. Bacteria usually kill a fish in a few days. The fish never has time to waste away its weight.
    An important point to understand is that standard quarantine times of four to six weeks are not sufficient to identify Cryptobia iubilans disease. The organism can remain in the fish for months before actually causing symptoms. So the only way to be sure that your fish is not infected is by doing microscopic analysis of a stool sample.
    Here are Dr. Wes Baumgartner’s comments about the latest necropsy of one of the fish that died of this wasting disease. I’ve reviewed the histology slides of your discus and I’ve found several microscopic stomach granulomas that lack acid fast organisms. A wasting syndrome in discus fish associated with stomach granulomas has been reported in association with cryptobia iubilans, a flagellate of the intestinal tract. I think this is probably what’s been going on. I saw no convincing evidence of mycobacteriosis. I spoke with Sam and I’ve got a sample of spleen in ethanol that we can run PCR for mycobacteria on. However, without granulomas in any tissue but the stomach, I doubt we’d find any evidence for mycobacteria.
    I’ve attached a report of cryptobia in discus that you will find interesting. The syndrome in your tank is remarkably similar. Treatment is difficult.
    Additionally, there is abundant iron in the liver, which I associate with high red cell turnover. It is uncommon in fish and of uncertain significance, though can be associated with pollution in wild fish populations.
    Dr. Baumgartner is as the vet school at Mississippi State. Here’s his review article: https://www.was.org/documents/Meetin...A2011_0435.pdf
    This would be a great research project for some student in microbiology or a vet school student who wants a research project. I suspect that there are many hobbyists who would be willing to contribute money to this research to finally eradicate this organism from the Discus hobby.
    Regarding treatment, typical protocols include placing the sick fish in a QT tank and raising the temp to 90F and you must aerate continuously at those temperatures. This speeds up metabolism in the fish and shortens the life cycle time of the parasite. I also use Jack Wattley’s technique of low pH to kill bacteria. (Tropical Fish Hobbyist Magazine, May 2013) This technique drops the pH by 0.5pH every 6 hours until a pH of 4.0 is reached. I’ve killed fish going too quickly. This will help with any secondary bacterial infection, but you could chose to omit this step. The low pH will have no effect on the Cryptobia, by the way. The low pH and high temp conditions are maintained for the duration of treatment with any antiparasitic and for 5-7 days thereafter. I also add Epsom’s salt, magnesium sulfate, which is said to make the fish more comfortable from the antibiotic. It is also a laxative which theoretically may help expel parasites or probably more realistically deal with constipation that comes from the disease process.

I have tried metronidazole, dimetridazole, flubendazole, praziquantel (Prazipro), levamisole, 2-amino-5-nitrothiazol , and combined those with traditional antibiotics (such as erythromycin, tetracycline, and monocycline) to kill the secondary infections. Before I knew the organism was Cryptobia iubilans a vet used
    2014-12-29 added toltrazuril today
    From Dr. Sam Young
    Toltrazuril 50mg/ml addedd 6.5ml at 4:30pm. Instructions to bathe 1 hour then 50%water change. Repeat every 48 hrs for 3 total doses
    It did not work. I can say with confidence that metronidazole does not kill cryptobia iubilans though it is often suggested. Traditional antibiotics used in the hobby will not kill cryptobia though they may help the secondary bacterial infections that occur in the granulomas. There is a relative of metronidazole called dimetridazole that has been suggested and I have used it. It is difficult to find in its pure form. It has been available as a pigeon disease treatment called Emetryl. (I read an article in the pigeon literature that said it had been removed from the market bc it is suspected to be carcinogenic.) This has only 44% active ingredient and it is a very dirty product that will cloud the aquarium. If the fish are already weak they will not survive the treatment. I have successfully treated 2 fish with this product and was able to confirm that the parasite count was markedly reduced in the stool sample by microscopic analysis. I was still able to identify a few organisms in the stool sample after the fish was treated. However the fish did not show any signs of disease and they were able to be returned to the primary aquarium from the hospital tank and. So far in my experience this is the only thing that has helped. Greater success with this would be available if we could get it in higher purity because the additives for the pigeons ruins water quality. The water is so cloudy you can’t see the fish! I thought the product Clout had dimetridazole but the manufacturer said no it’s metronidazole and another ingredient. We need a pure form of dimetridazole. Let me know if anyone knows where to get it.
    http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...-Dimetridazole

I would like to find a treatment that would completely eradicate this organism. There are other suggestions. The leading suggestion is a compound called isometadium. It is not available in the United States. I attempted to buy it from China but never received the product. http://www.rmpc.org/files/nwfcc/2008..._talk1ver2.pdf
    Another option suggested is almiramide.
    Another option is Amphotericin B which has shown benefit in the blood infection by Cryptobia salmonistica. http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/1...A%3E2.3.CO%3B2
    The article noted earlier from UFla suggested another compound [a bath treatment with 2-amino-5-nitrothiazol
    (10 mg/L for 24 hrs, followed by a 80-100% water change, repeated daily for 3 days)]. I tried this on 1 fish but it was too sick before I got it in the hospital tank and it quickly died contributed to by my error in dropping the pH too quickly. I don’t think this was a fair trial. I am likely to try it again when needed.
    Another idea I had was to use the vaccine in discus that is used to prevent Cryptobia salmositica in salmon. The disease caused is a blood disease and there’s no guarantee it would work to prevent the GI infection with Cryptobia iubilans. I’ve been unable to find it. Wouldn’t it be wonderful if we could vaccinate discus to prevent this chronic wasting disease!
    There are other suggestions offered by Dr. Wes Baumgartner. I can email these options if you want. If several of us could work together we could more quickly and effectively identify a treatment for this organism. It is necessary in my opinion to have a microscope and learn to identify the organism in a stool sample. I can certainly help anyone with this process if they are interested.
    It would be helpful if we could find a vet who would be willing to advise us as we proceed in this process. I assume that the vets who are most knowledgeable about this like Dr. Roy Yanong at the Univ of Fla vet school and others like him are reluctant to advise much because of the ethics around practicing veterinary medicine across state lines and because they are hesitant to give advice on diagnosis and treatment on a fish they’ve not personally examined. However there is no reason not to have a standard set of treatment recommendations for Cryptobia iubilans in discus that are reasonably effective. I believe it can be achieved if others are willing to work on this and share their work with us all.
    You can review my blog but it was written as a personal journal to document my experience with my planted discus tank and was not written for others to read so some of it would not be understandable to anyone but me.

In summary, from my experience, my best results have come from the use of Emetryl in a hospital tank maintained at a temp of 90F and a pH of 4.0. I have saved 2 fish this way. The bath treatment with dimetridazole (80 mg/L for 24 hrs, followed by a 80-100% water change, repeated daily for 3-5 days, longer is better). Keep in mind Emetryl is only 40% dimetridazole so in measuring it out you’ll need to use 200mg/L of Emetryl. It may be wise to add an antibiotic to it, because the granulomas in the fish end up with secondary bacterial infections.

Currently I have 9 discus in a planted tank. Four of the fish have been in the tank since May 2014 from an online dealer. The others are recently purchased at a local shop. One of the new ones I am a little worried about bc he hides in the back a lot but he’s still eating. If he gets sick with Cryptobia I’m going to try the 2-amino-5-nitrothiazol only bc I did not get a reasonable trial with it before.

Please share your treatment efforts of Cryptobia iubilans with us all. If you find other good scientific articles or other good info releveant please post it here. If you want to use Emetryl and can’t find it let me know.
    very interesting read, but scary!! thanks for sharing this

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast