ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Drinking Water Safe Hose..

Default Drinking Water Safe Hose..

so i bought a "drinking water" hose from wally world.. blue RV hose.. filled up my tanks.. but only put fish in 3 tanks.. after a couple of hours of monitoring.. i saw one fish dead!! EEEEKKK>> i pulled them all out.. and back into water from tap.. not sure what happened..

i went to petsmart and bought 4 TRIBUTE fish.. put them in same tank. last night.. there still alive.. this morning..

not sure if it was the hose.. or bleach left over from cleaning them.. going to try it again tomorrow.. drain the tank.. refill and add the TRIBUTES.. just to be sure..

i would think it was NOT hose.. since i did "water" the heck out of lawn.. to "clean" it out.. before filling tanks

anybody have issue with "drinking water" hose.. NOT LAWN hoses
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Drinking Water Safe Hose..

Skip, I buy the potable RV hose but yours "sound" like the same thing.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

Default Re: Drinking Water Safe Hose..

I have used a regular "lawn" hose to fill my tanks for years. I have NEVER had any problems with any of my cichlids. Like the OP(watered lawn) I always fill my aging tank first it is 45 gal. I then finish off my two 75's if needed. When I do daily WC some days I remove 50% from each tank so I split the 45gal to each so each will get 22-23 gals then the rest is from the city tap through the hose. Am I just one lucky guy or what? Been doing it for 25-30 yrs. and yet it has killed no fish. Heck I've drank from a hose since I was a small kid because mom didn't like us running in and out of the house. Way back then there was nothing called a "Drinking Hose" just let it run until cold.

Did you double up the chlorine remover?

Sorry Skip I can't comment on the "drinking" Hose as I drink out of ALL hoses but I have never had a regular hose kill my fish......yet