ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Heros sp. 'Curare' - potentially the real Heros severus

Default Re: Heros sp. 'Curare' - potentially the real Heros severus

Ivan, I keep all my severums 80 - 82F year round.

I personally don't think the adults are very good with discus -- see my note in my post above. I think they're just too aggressive at breeding time to be in a discus tank.

Although, as you can see in the video, they only chase off similarly shaped cichlids and completely ignore the angelfish in the tank.

Real Name
    Matt

These are some amazing looking fish! Thank you for sharing. The history is fascinating. Good luck with the breeding!

SimplyDiscus Sponsor
    Real Name
    Jamie Elder

Love this thread Ryan. Even though my passion is discus now ... my sevys will always be one of my true favorites. I thoroughly enjoyed watching them raise fry. Have fun with them. Way cool fish ! I learned the hard way exactly how much they love plants.... can decimate a planted tank in short order ;-)
    Spirits of the Amazon

Proud Simply Discus Sponsors - Suppliers of DXcus Discus - www.spiritsoftheamazon.com

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Ivan, I keep all my severums 80 - 82F year round.

I personally don't think the adults are very good with discus . I think they're just too aggressive at breeding time to be in a discus tank.

Although, as you can see in the video, they only chase off similarly shaped cichlids and completely ignore the angelfish in the tank.

Mine were in that temp or above in the summer month's but closer to 79* winter time. I agree they are very cichlid like in their aggression and ramp up when eggs are applied. Mine would keep smaller Red-Terrors(true Festae) at bay when they had eggs. My big male was a brute. Personally I wouldn't keep them with discus.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Love the operculum pattern on the female(?). It is intense especially with that darker coloring.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

I came home tonight and about half of the eggs were gone. The ones that are left do have tiny tails showing through, so I guess they are fertile.

The assumption is that these are substrate spawners and not mouthbrooders, but I actually don't know. No one has spawned them to my knowledge. The pair doesn't seem to be chewing anything the way a mouthbrooder would. Mouthbrooding severums do pick up their fry as they become wigglers, so it's possible. I didn't want to chance it though so I pulled the flower pot and put it in a 20 gallon. The eggs may or may not make it until tomorrow when they're due to hatch but I honestly don't think they would have made it much longer in the 210.

Registered Member Driftwood Mike's Avatar
    Real Name
    Mike

Wow, what a great thread. Love learning about new fish, thank you for sharing all your knowledge. Can't wait to read more. Good luck with these.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Ryan, that is great news. What a fantastic learning experience these guys are. Bet you are super excited about possible wigglers.
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

We have lift off!

Sorry about the shaky camera... The tank is on a bottom rack under a 55 and I can't actually get my head in there to see what I'm filming, so I just slap the waterproof case on the iPhone and hope I'm actually filming the fry I'm pointing it at. lol

IMG_0825.jpg
    Last edited by Ryan; 05-29-2015 at 03:57 AM.

Registered Member

That's sweet I want some fry message me when you/they are ready to go.

Real Name
    Pat

Ryan, this is truly exciting. There are a lot of fry.
    Pat

Real Name
    Ricardo

Amazing. You must have the magic touch with breeding Ryan! Do you know of any others breeding these in the US?

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Ricardo, to my knowledge I'm the only one in the U.S. with these fish and the first person to spawn them. They came from Canada and Oliver made no mention of any other U.S. buyers. Most of them went to Japan and probably Europe if I had to guess. I have never seen any of the other vendors bring in this severum in the last ten years I've been monitoring weekly stock lists. Other than the two pictures I posted in the first post of this thread, no one had seen or documented this fish and most people in this country doubted its existence since very few examples were ever shown online.

That's what makes this particularly exciting for me. I have been able to find no documented breeding or raising of F1 online. If it happened, it was by hobbyists who aren't on any of the cichlid forums/groups.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Seriously Ryan, that is being cool. I can't believe you were able to buy these in the first place, and then BREED them successfully so quick! I wish you good luck and we are all on pins and needles here rooting for ya.

Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Ricardo, to my knowledge I'm the only one in the U.S. with these fish and the first person to spawn them. They came from Canada and Oliver made no mention of any other U.S. buyers. Most of them went to Japan and probably Europe if I had to guess. I have never seen any of the other vendors bring in this severum in the last ten years I've been monitoring weekly stock lists. Other than the two pictures I posted in the first post of this thread, no one had seen or documented this fish and most people in this country doubted its existence since very few examples were ever shown online.

That's what makes this particularly exciting for me. I have been able to find no documented breeding or raising of F1 online. If it happened, it was by hobbyists who aren't on any of the cichlid forums/groups.
    This is super exciting Ryan....you go man
    Pat

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast