ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Natural Color Enhancers in Food Mix

Registered Member

Default Natural Color Enhancers in Food Mix

In reading Beefheart mixes I noticed often natural color enhancers are added such as for red: krill, shrimp, carrots, and for blue: algae meal, spirulina, and spinich. My question is when we added both the red and blue enhancers what keeps the red enhancer from turning the blue part of the fish purple and what keep the blue enhancer from turning the red part of the fish purple? In other words how does the color enhanced know which parts of the fish to influnce?

Ron

Registered Member

Default Re: Natural Color Enhancers in Food Mix

They do not and yes it happens. Look at some threads here recently a member had post a good looking picture of his fish and from feeding "Tetra Bits" I believe the part that was white is now orange yellowish. His is a pretty dramatic difference from what the fish is bred to look like. As with most other things in life there are other negative affects from color enhancers. In a video from Marc Weiss he was showing his beef heart mix and in it he stated the same thing that has been stated here and also in high enough quantities certain color enhancers could affect sight and internal organs very negatively.