AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: discus growth

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Walt

Default discus growth

Hi, I started my discus tank in November 2014 so its been up about 6 months. Started with a group of 8 in a120 gallon tank I now have 10 and some rummy nose tetras. Started with 3 inch discus 4 of them are 6 inches and the other 4 are maybe 4 to 4.5 inches. My WC routine is 45 gallons every 3rd day. My water parameters are good. My question is 4 of my discus have doubled in size and the other 4 have grown but only an 1 to 1.5 inches could my WC routine be the reason for slower growth in half the discus? But why did 4 show good growth? Thanks walt

Default Re: discus growth

did you purchase them all from the same batch.Was some sick at some point and others not?did you raise them all the same in the same tank?how about some pictures?Have they all been eating well?

Registered Member

Yes your water change schedule is alittle behind. At 3 inches I would have done at least 50% a day. If you bump it up you might b able to help them alittle but they'll probably always be smaller than the others

Registered Member strawberryblonde's Avatar

It might be too late for the smaller ones, but doing the larger extra water changes might give them a boost!

I had one who lagged WAY behind the others for the first year of life. (Water changes in a 120 were 90% per day)

Sure enough, he just kept slowly growing throughout the second year and ended up a very respectable 7.5". So don't give up yet, ok? Just up the water changes and make sure that they're getting enough to eat.
    Toni

120g - 10
    discus, 4 cory's, 50+ Cardinals for now... give it a month and it'll change!