AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My new girlie girl...

Registered Member strawberryblonde's Avatar

Default My new girlie girl...

Ya know how I've always whined that in every batch of discus I buy I get ONE female in the bunch? This time around is no exception! LOL

This girl has been in my tanks for 4 weeks now and has already laid eggs twice. Here she is in between clutches, so her colors are much more vivid.

She's still very young so no rush to find her a proper mate yet. =)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Toni

120g - 10
    discus, 4 cory's, 50+ Cardinals for now... give it a month and it'll change!

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: My new girlie girl...

Oh wow, nice Toni
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Ricardo

Very nice looking discus. Any side profile shots of her?

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Very nice,

Real Name
    Phil

Is that a wild cross??

Hi Philly,

It's a Red Cover. =)
    Toni

120g - 10

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    Very nice looking discus. Any side profile shots of her?
    You mean a straight side shot? Nopers, but I can try to get one. The color in that shot isn't quite her true colors. I forgot that I had the purple led's on yesterday when I took the photo so I need to turn on the proper day lights and then see if I can get her to hold still for me.

Actually, it's finally starting to get dark outside so now might be the perfect time for some pics! Hang on...hopefully I'll be back in 20 minutes with shots of all my new discus. =)
    Toni

120g - 10

Wonderful discus regardless of her color. I have had the same problem with getting males in shipments all the time. Finally got three females in the my last delivery. Whew! Rufus

Thanks and congrats on finally get a gaggle of girls.

I wouldn't have a problem with having girls in the tank, but having only 1 female in a tank FULL of males is definitely problematic. But I just never get females <sigh>

Tried to get better pics last night but either the camera settings were off (didn't think to check them before I took the pics) or I suck at picture taking. Out of 52 photo's there are only 10 or so that are in focus and in those, the fish aren't looking at the camera or are hiding behind plants and driftwood.

These guys are pretty new still so they aren't happy when I come over to the tank, unless I have food in my hands!

I did get one fairly decent shot of my older golden sunshine. His name is Rosie (like Rosie Greer) because of his unusual coloration for a golden sunshine. He's about 5 years old now.

IMG_8048.jpg

And this is one of the new Eruption Leopards. He was just under 5" when he arrived 4 weeks ago. He's was 6" when I measured him on Tuesday. And he's the smaller of the two Eruptions! They are growing like weeds.

IMG_8049.jpg
    Toni

120g - 10

Real Name
    Pat

Toni, next time take pictures when you feed them. Nice growth on that leopard.
    Pat

Awww Pat, good suggestion, but it's one that I already employ and it does NOT work with these guys yet!

See all the nice food in this pic? See them swishing quickly away from me to the back of the tank when I try to get a picture? They see the camera and take shelter behind the driftwood, then sneak slowly back out to grab food again... then swish quickly back at the sight of the camera again. It's SO frustrating, but hopefully they'll get over it and get used to me messing around the tank in the next few months. LOL

IMG_8035.jpg
    Toni

120g - 10

Real Name
    Pat

Hehe, I have one more suggestion Toni. Grab a stool that places your head about level with the bottom of the tank, feed, then sit down and try taking some pictures. Try too not get to close to the tank. It does not matter if the pics are good only that we are trying to desensitize the fish to the camera. Leave the flash off for now. This may take a few sessions but generally works very well for me.
    Pat

That has worked for me in the past too Pat. I guess I need to set aside some time to actually plop my butt in front of the tank, huh? Maybe after the kids leave next week - whee!

Do you use a flash on your camera? I've never used one when I take pics of the tank. I just get the camera nice and close to avoid glass reflections and distortion, then snap away and cross my fingers that a few pics will have non-blurry, non swishing fish in them. LOL
    Toni

120g - 10

Real Name
    Pat

I do Toni but these days I use a remote flash. You can also take pictures at an angle to the glass to avoid bouncing the flash off the glass back into the camera and into the picture.

Registered Member fishtanktenderfoot's Avatar
    Real Name
    Steph

When I first wanted to snap some pics using my cell phone, I propped my cell phone on the ledge I have in front of the tank - front and center - so it would stand upright almost against the glass. I would leave it there the whole time I do my water change. By the time I'd be done with the WC, they'd be "familiar" enough with the phone staring at them. Now they don't even care, and do the typical all-crowd-to-the-front so it is hard to get a decent shot of any one of them. Beautiful fish! Would love to see more pics, so good luck with them!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast