AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Furan-2 application

Real Name
    Ramon

Default Furan-2 application

I am trying to find a cure for the guy and after reading on possible cure vs symptoms, I would like to try Furan-2
    Do I need to take my activated carbon out before application? Same question for ick tablet.
    I have one from my grow out that is acting strange, all the rest are calm and okay except this guy.
    He lost his appetite completely and eats like a baby, one or two bite from the cube of AFDBW and that's it .
    He will dart around every water change. It's been like this for 5 days now, I tried 20%, 30%, 50% and 80%WC
    He darts on every WC regardless of the percentage. I'm thinking of the water being the culprit as I do straight tap via
    a water changer. Maybe a difference from winter water to summer water which maybe the water company did or add
    something that I'm not aware of. Aging the water is not an option so I'm just using Nutrafin aqua water conditioner. I
    have no water tester of any type so I can't give any parameters. I rely solely on 80% daily water change and trying to
    match the temp of the tank as near or close as possible. Been doing this for 6 months without any problem. No other addition,
    still the same 8 guys that I started with last December.
    water temp. is at 28 degrees
    filtration are as follows:
    Jebao 404 canister filter = 320 gal/hr
    Aqueon 55/75 HOB filter = 400 gal/hr
    power head with 3 level foam filter = 500 gal/hr
    Any help and/or recommendation on the best possible solution from the gurus of the forum will be highly appreciated.
    Last edited by monching; 05-29-2015 at 10:43 AM.
    When God leads you to the edge of a cliff....Trust him fully and let go....
    Only two things can happen....
    Either, " He will catch you when you fall...or He will teach you how to fly....."

Registered Member

Default Re: Furan-2 application

100% sure if you are going to medicate a tank you need to take the carbon out. Carbon will soak up the medicine (it is suppose to!). If you have purigen, remove that too to be safe.

Registered Member strawberryblonde's Avatar

Hi there,

Definitely remove the carbon before treating the tank.

I have a couple of questions first though if that's ok.

1) What symptoms do you see with this discus that make you think it's a bacterial infection?

2) Can you post a picture of the discus? That might help in making sure that you use the correct meds.

3) Do you have a hospital tank where you can treat him so that the other discus aren't subjected to meds? I think you had a 10 gallon tank, right? It doesn't need to be cycled since you'll won't be feeding and will be doing large water changes daily.

4) What size is your main tank? I ask because it seems like you have an awful lot of filtration and water movement.

5) Do you see Ich on the fish? Is that why you're asking about it?
    Toni

120g - 10
    discus, 4 cory's, 50+ Cardinals for now... give it a month and it'll change!

Real Name
    Ramon

Quote Originally Posted by strawberryblonde View Post
    Hi there,

Definitely remove the carbon before treating the tank.

I have a couple of questions first though if that's ok.

1) What symptoms do you see with this discus that make you think it's a bacterial infection?

2) Can you post a picture of the discus? That might help in making sure that you use the correct meds.

3) Do you have a hospital tank where you can treat him so that the other discus aren't subjected to meds? I think you had a 10 gallon tank, right? It doesn't need to be cycled since you'll won't be feeding and will be doing large water changes daily.

4) What size is your main tank? I ask because it seems like you have an awful lot of filtration and water movement.

5) Do you see Ich on the fish? Is that why you're asking about it?
    1)The guy just dart around and wants to jump out of the tank after every WC for about 10 seconds and
    will hide between the heater and the power head for about 10 minutes and will be in it's usual self after
    but still not eating like before. It is already manifesting a sunken belly.
    2)Overall appearance is just normal. Fins erect, full color, active, looks healthy except for the prominent stress bars
    that says the guy is stressed and doesn't feel right.
    3) yes I do have a hospital tank 10 and a 20 gal respectively.
    4)tank is 75 gal. I have a diffuser for water movement.
    5)No ich or ick whatsoever, just asking for the application with regards to activated carbon.
    Last edited by monching; 05-29-2015 at 02:38 PM.
    Either, " He will catch you when you fall...or He will teach you how to fly....."

Real Name
    Ramon

Update:
    Did not push though with the furan 2 but still bought some just in case.
    Said fish totally recovered and now eating voraciously.
    Just did a 50% WC daily instead of the normal 80% for a week.
    Did 80% WC last night and monitored the reaction of the guy and happy to note that he's now okay.
    Fed them this morning and the guy is the very first in line devouring the FDBW.
    So happy to see that he's/she's back with full appetite.