AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Plants have harbored worms

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Nicole

Default Plants have harbored worms

Just wanted to share my experience. Tank had some kind of flagellates and all my discus died after 4 months of fighting.
    I bleached the tank to start all over but kept my sword plants in buckets for approximately 3 weeks. I did a fishless cycle and proceeded to put the plants back after soaking them in potassium permanganate for 10 min.
    I ordered 6 discus from Kenny, one of your sponsor (very nice guy by the way).
    His shipment delayed a week due to quarantine. I think God was looking out for my future babies because 2 days before Kenny was due to ship, i saw these worms crawling up the glass of my tank. I posted a picture of them in my last thread.
    I quickly got a hold of Kenny to stop the shipment and he gave me some advice as to what to do next.
    So i am here to tell every body that yes bugs can stay alive on plants even in a bucket with no aeration and soaking in pp.
    I no longer have the plants, plastic ones will do for me.

Registered Member Northwoods Discus's Avatar

Default Re: Plants have harbored worms

It sounds like what you have are planaria. They are not parasites but free living worms that survive in high organic waste. Your fish may have perished for some other reason. If planaria are present you may have to increase your water change regimen or tank cleaning technique. In planted tanks it is important to remove all the detritis between plants when doing water changes.
    Sometimes you sit and think, sometimes you just sit.
    Kenny ring gene leopards, Piwowarski RT and RSG, Big blue cobalt.
    220 display, 150 office tank, fish room.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Nicole

I cleaned the whole tank again with bleach so there should be nothing left. Did you happen to see pictures of my previous post. You think its planaria from the pictures of from my description?

Registered Member Northwoods Discus's Avatar

Just from your description. They are large enough to see with the naked eye unlike most parasites and they "crawl" on the glass.
    Sometimes you sit and think, sometimes you just sit.
    Kenny ring gene leopards, Piwowarski RT and RSG, Big blue cobalt.
    220 display, 150 office tank, fish room.