ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Re: How Do I post about a sick Discus ?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mike Sheridan

Default Re: How Do I post about a sick Discus ?

DISEASE QUESTIONNAIRE

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?

Ever since transferring them (5) to their new home from the qt tank they are extraordinarily skittish. Hanging out mostly in the corners by the sponge filters and run from one corner to the other at the back of the tank. This has been going on for at least three weeks now.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).

They eat but not when I feed them. Only after I move away from the tank or turn out the light and move away. My Blue Diamond is pretty black as are the Brilliant Turqs. No other obvious signs or symptoms.

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.

None

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.

55 gallon - New
    5 fish ranging from 3.5 to 4.5 inches
    1 Checkerboard Pigeon Blood
    1 Pigeon Blood
    2 Brilliant Turqs
    1 Blue Diamond

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).
    40% 2X week

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?

Tanks been running 8 weeks. Bottom feeders (small corys and plecos) went in after two weeks. Substrate is Black sand about 1.5-2" deep.

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.

No I use RO water stored in barrel kept at matching temperature. No pH swing at water change.

8. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp _85.9____

- ph _6.8____

- ammonia reading _0___

- nitrite reading _0___

- nitrate reading _0___

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water ____

- municipal water _X___

- RO water __X__

9. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.

Approximately 3 weeks ago.

10. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them. IMG_2943.JPGIMG_2944.JPGIMG_2945.JPG

Real Name
    Ralph

Default Re: How Do I post about a sick Discus ?

- Your tank has been running 8 weeks and you added corys and plecos after 2 weeks and Discus after 5 weeks?
    - Did you just run tank without any established bio media before adding any fish?
    - Your temp seem high and would drop it to around 82.
    - There is no need for r/o unless your breeding.
    - Why are you not getting a Nitrate reading and should if tank was established.
    - Pics are difficult to make out but discus seem quite thin with eyes bulging.
    Were these Discus bought from a LFS?

...Ralph
    "Success comes from knowing that you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming."
    -John Wooden