ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Tea for Tannin look

Real Name
    Dave

Default Tea for Tannin look

Pat,
    I followed the link to Amazon and ordered some of that tea and a tea ball.

My question is can it be placed directly in a tank? I ask as I have a filter on my drinking water that removes all chlorine and chloramine (solid carbon block with a five micron particulate and checked regularly with a reagent test kit for chlorine and Chloramine) so that is what I use to fill the tanks with instead of trying to have an aging barrel (space limitations).

I am thinking I can put the tea in the tea ball and put the ball by the output of the filter to achieve the black water look.

Thanks,
    Dave
    God is the artist, he merely allows me to see and capture his work . http://davesphotography7055.zenfolio.com/ coupon code: angelfish
    some of my work accepted by Pentax (the camera bodies I use): http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidgray

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Tea for Tannin look

Dave, should work just fine. Start with a tablespoon and see how you like it.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Dave

Thank you Ma'am

FX6 filter is here, waiting for spray bar and I will revamp the filter system
    God is the artist, he merely allows me to see and capture his work . http://davesphotography7055.zenfolio.com/ coupon code: angelfish
    some of my work accepted by Pentax (the camera bodies I use): http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidgray

Real Name
    Pat

You are more than welcome Dave
    Pat

I used Pat's recommendation of the tea and I actually put it directly in the tank. My thought is to use it as a substrate. I have the Heckel in a BB so instead of adding some sand, I am letting these sink to the bottom. It's a mess when I first put them in but I am definitely getting the color I want (thanks Pat).

FWIW, I just don't like the idea of the tea ball in RO water (that's what I use for my wild).

I am thinking that I should pre-soak these I a cup and just dump the entire cup in after a few days.

Oh.. those tea are good for drinking as well.

Real Name
    Jacklyn

I do not see using the tea as a substrate as a good idea, sounds terrible actually. How will you syphon up poo and not the tea pieces?? it sounds like you will be going through about a whole bag every water change DiscusOnly.

Dagray, putting the tea thing directly in the tank is just fine. As long as you bought a stainless steel ball or plastic or something that doesn't rust or leech it will be fine. My discus were scared of the big floating ball at first but got used to it within a couple days.
    ~JACKLYN~

Real Name
    Pat

You are welcome Van and it is as healthy for people as it is for the fish.
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by jmf3460 View Post
    I do not see using the tea as a substrate as a good idea, sounds terrible actually. How will you syphon up poo and not the tea pieces?? it sounds like you will be going through about a whole bag every water change DiscusOnly.

Dagray, putting the tea thing directly in the tank is just fine. As long as you bought a stainless steel ball or plastic or something that doesn't rust or leech it will be fine. My discus were scared of the big floating ball at first but got used to it within a couple days.
    I am stirring the tank as I siphon the tank. Yes.. I'll be siphoning some of the tea as well. Remember, I am not using it as substrate to cover the entire bottom of the tank. Just adding 2 spoonful on each water change. They are scattered on the bottom of the tank. I see the discuss looking for their pellet food mixed with the tea substrates.
    Last edited by DiscusOnly; 06-11-2015 at 09:39 AM.

BTW.. My tea ball (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o04_s00) shipped from China. I don't trust it in RO water.

Real Name
    Jacklyn

DiscusOnly, I see I thought you were covering the entire bottom with the tea, I was like. Holy smokes I need to buy stock in this tea bc this person is about to go through alot. ha.
    Last edited by Second Hand Pat; 06-11-2015 at 10:38 AM. Reason: :)
    ~JACKLYN~

Quote Originally Posted by jmf3460 View Post
    DiscusOnly, I see I thought you were covering the entire bottom with the tea, I was like. Holy smokes I need to buy stock in this tea bc this person is about to go through a sh*# load. ha.
    That would be some expensive substrate. A lot more than ADA aquasoil. Besides, the tank would get way too dark. It's been about a month since I started using these. I've not really get detail readings of the water but I noticed that the Heckel are liking it.

Real Name
    Jacklyn

I immediately noticed a big difference in my wilds when I started using the tea. sometimes I overdose and worry that its too much bc I cant even see my fish in my tank, but they really love it. I actually think mine like the variations as well. Like some days ill do one big scoop, and other days not so much. Plus I usually get two day's worth out of one scoop so the second day is lighter. I really feel that my fish like the different levels. its like they are swimming from spot to spot in the amazon where the tannin levels may differ based on leaf litter. if I were a fish, I would want to be a discus living in the amazon, or in my tank.
    ~JACKLYN~