AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Glass Cages question

Default Glass Cages question

I just ordered a new tank/stand from glass cages, to accommodate the new fish that I just ordered from Kenny! I hope they are reputable...does anyone here have experience with them?? Kris

Default Re: Glass Cages question

Most of my tanks are from them. They provided all the tanks at the last NADA. I expect you'll be very happy.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Mauro

This thread has to move to the "livestock and product reviews" section. I know some members had a good experience with them, but here is mine. I ordered a 48g rimless tank and wood stand. They sent the wrong stand and I had to wait several weeks for the right one. When the right stand came, I was surprised to see that the 4-feet long tank had no central support in the back section. So I had to add extra support in the stand. As far as the tank goes, the glass was unnecessarily too thick (half inch). I had a 80g tank with much thinner glass and never had issues. Because of the thick glass, the tank weights a tone and has a greenish tone (I did not choose the more expensive starphire glass). I was not impressed.

Registered Member

Mauro,

Was your 80 gallon a "rimless" also? I bet your 48 gallon had thicker glass because it did not have a top rim support. What do you think? jmo
    Ron

Registered Member strawberryblonde's Avatar

Hi Mauro,

I don't think there's a need for a center support for a 48g tank stand. My 120 glass cages tank, bought used, came with a wrought iron stand with no center support and I had no issues with strength or stability. Since then, I've built my own stand and still don't have a center support - the tank and stand are 48" long.

The thicker glass might be, as Alron mentioned, because the tank is rimless.
    Toni

120g - 10
    discus, 4 cory's, 50+ Cardinals for now... give it a month and it'll change!

Good point.what size steel was used in the stand

Real Name
    Mauro

Quote Originally Posted by alron2 View Post
    Mauro,

Was your 80 gallon a "rimless" also? I bet your 48 gallon had thicker glass because it did not have a top rim support. What do you think? jmo
    Ron
    Yes, it was also rimless. Here is a video of that tank:

As for the stand, it was a wood-only structure. No steel. It simply did not look sturdy enough for me with no support in the back.

As long as it had asolid back and sides to the stand it should be fine.not gunning u here but your expectations were above what they offer and u wernthappy.thats you consumer rite.but did you order it by spec and recie completely something different or did u not check the specs of item beforehand properly.

Real Name
    Mauro

Quote Originally Posted by Quintin View Post
    As long as it had asolid back and sides to the stand it should be fine.not gunning u here but your expectations were above what they offer and u wernthappy.thats you consumer rite.but did you order it by spec and recie completely something different or did u not check the specs of item beforehand properly.
    I don't think you understood me. The stand did not have "a solid back". It had no support in the back. Zero. Some may be fine with that. It was below my expectations, however.
    Last edited by DiscusBR; 06-13-2015 at 04:56 PM.

Only 2 sides.that does sound scetchy.lovely tank and discus you gt though

Real Name
    Mauro

Only 2 sides.that does sound scetchy.
    There was support on the two sides and in the front. Nothing in the back of the stand.

lovely tank and discus you gt though
    Thank you.

Registered Member

I just bought a 90 gallon Deep Blue Pro from Discus Origins , Mark was very helpful has a lifetime warranty with one exception warranty will be void if you use a iron stand. Tank has tempered glass I checked glass cages price with shipping was 252 for tank and 211 for shipping just filled with water very nice well made tank. I thought that was interesting voiding warranty if you use a iron stand.

I hope that I have a good experience, and I'll review the tank/stand after I receive it. I did notice that they use a thicker glass, when building a rimless tank. I plan to set the tank up, fill it with water, then move my current established cannister filter over to the new tank. I'm thinking that I can then move the fish to the new tank without problems! Is this correct? I would appreciate any tips you guys can offer me for this move! Kris

Sure, moving your canister filter will make your new tank immediately cycled. Most of the beneficial bacteria live in the canister media, especially if you don't have substrate. You won't have any problems.

Don, that leaves me with another question.....I do have sand in the existing tank....how would you reccomend that I move the sand from the current tank, to the new tank? Kris

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast